PDA

View Full Version : Really fun day at Vail.....

Pete Marino
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I took my friend Barry and his dad to Vail today for a fun fishing day hammering the bass.
Barry has been wanting to get his dad out on the water so since I had the day off I told him that today was a great day to get him out there and have a good fun fishing day..
Me and Barry are fresh off of fishing the tournament at Castaic last saturday so I figured we could use a nonstressful day on the lake as well.....

We made bait in the morning and off we went to catch some bass.
Once there we were greeted by Larry (Fishbreath, I believe his screen name is here) and Joel....Between the 3 of our boats we put a SERIOUS BEAT DOWN on the bass. Larry already had 10 bass when we got there and was hooked up when we pulled in. Joel was also on a bass and had over 5 to his credit already.
The action for us started immediately with me hooking up instantly as well as Barrys dad. Barry quickly joined in on the fun...
The action was red hot until 9:30 when it simmered off then went red hot again until 11:45 when we called it a day.
I myself had 55-60 bass, i lost track . With my Biggest being a tad over 9 lbs.!!! I also had multiple 7 lbers, a host of 6's and 5's and a ton of 2-4 lbers.
Barry had at least 40 bass with his biggest being about 6 lbs., and his dad had 10-12 bass with his biggest being 7 1/2 lbs. And he stopped fishing for the last 2 hours or so..
Our best 5 for the day were about 37-38 lbs. :Big Grin:
Last I heard Larry was over 62 bass and he called it a day just before us..
Also Megsdad came out to join the fun. It was nice to meet you. :Big Grin:

All in all a great day on the lake... Barrys dad said that "this was the best fishing day of his life"....Gotta love it!!!

here are some pics..

Barrys dad going BENDO while Barry watches..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0761.jpg
Me with a solid 7 1/2 lber..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0763.jpg
Double hookup for me and Barrys dad...two solid 6 1/2 lb bass..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0765.jpg
Barry with a 6 lber of his own..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0760.jpg
Barry with a FAT 5 1/2 lber...
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0769.jpg
Barrys dad with his 7 lber
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0767.jpg
My 9 lb big bass of the day!!
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/IMG_0770-1.jpg

To quote "Ice Cube", "I gotta say, it was a good day!!" :Wink:

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
(909) 510-5679

tacklejunkie
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Sweeeet. Nice pigs Pete.
I lost my biggest one there to some cover from shore. He looked about like that 9lber :Crying:

Fishbreath
06-16-2009, 05:57 AM
It was a fun day, Pete. It was really nice to see Barry's dad have such a good time. I try to keep count of my fish, because I log every trip with conditions, locations, water temp, etc. It was amusing, because once or twice when I lost count, Barry's dad was right on top of it and reminded what it was. My totals for yesterday were 63 bass, 3 catfish, and one trout. You did not not mention Barry's dad's big carp. I think that is what did him in for the day.

Joe(Megsdad) is relatively new to bass fishing and certainly new to that type of bass fishing, but he got into the swing of things too and caught a nice fish. I was hoping he would post a report, but he is going back out this moring, so maybe we will get a combined report.

Larry

Pete Marino
06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Barrys dad also caught a carp that was about 16lbs and that fish WORKED him. We were using light spinning rods with 6lb line mind you. After he caught that fish he was done for the day. He had a great time though.He spent the rest of the day enjoying just being out there with his son and his friend and counting your fish Larry.

JediMindTricks
06-16-2009, 09:08 AM
sick with it.......... big bass all day?!?!?
props. looks like a fantastic day.

Pete Marino
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
We also caught smaller fish as well. But I have the big fish wired right now at Vail. I know some sweet spots that the big ones move up on to feed.
The spots are spots inside of spots so to speak. Certain areas are only 4-5 ft wide but they are money. That 4-5 ft area may be a rock, a ledge, a depression, a hump etc etc.. Looking at the shore wont tell you where we are fishing because its what we are throwing to under the water that makes the difference. Dont get me wrong, we catch good ones off those exact spots spots but youd be amazed how exact some spots are and how consistantly they hold good fish. Big Bass feed together so its no surprise to me.. Just fun.

Its a blast...

lurk 182
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
so i'm guessing you and Barry did a little better weight wise than you did at Castaic. talk about being twenty miles and a world away. you really get to see what a "good day" at Vail is like compared to anywhere else. wonder how long they would have to close Castaic before the fish started to eat like that. i guess live shad helps a lot too. guide business should go well at a can't miss lake like Vail, you must have some satisfied customers. wonder if you're getting a different clientelle than you would guiding public waters.

Pete Marino
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
When I was at Vail last week I kept saying..."man I'd like to catch a big bass like this at Castaic on Saturday"..hahaha Live bait and Artificles are two completely different worlds.

Castaic isnt 20 miles away from vail though Its like 135-140 miles away. Castaic is 103 miles from my house in Moreno Valley and Vail is another 30-35 miles down the freeway..

Vail is a great place for newcomers to bass fishing, people who never really fish and to guys that want to go out and expand their horizons by learning new techniques while catching bass in the process...

basscatcher
06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
nice report pete. way to go guys on the fish.

God Bless

basscatcher

Pete Marino
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
It was fun watching Barrys dad catch fish and some really big ones at that...He had a blast and Thats what its all about in my opinion.

basscatcher
06-16-2009, 09:21 PM
It was fun watching Barrys dad catch fish and some really big ones at that...He had a blast and Thats what its all about in my opinion.

it totally is about having fun. In my opion i wouldnt do professional fishing becuase its now expected out of you and it becomes way to competitive and it defeats the perpose of fishing. but i would do small tournaments though.

God Bless

basscatcher

Megsdad
06-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Joe(Megsdad) is relatively new to bass fishing and certainly new to that type of bass fishing, but he got into the swing of things too and caught a nice fish. I was hoping he would post a report, but he is going back out this moring, so maybe we will get a combined report.

Larry

Nice job out there Pete!!!
Man you guys were totally on fire, at one point it looked like a fish every single cast, and plenty of big ones. It was nice to finally meet you and larry, as I have enjoyed so many of your reports in the past.

Larry, yes I am about to post a combined report. Along with Joel, you guys were much nicer and helpful than you needed to be. Thank you sooo much, you let me crowd right in and even hooked me up with some bait. I will never forget it, thank you.

Joe

Pete Marino
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you.
Like I said, we were out there for a fun fishing day with no stress and no presure so it was a blast having us all sharing the area and catching bass.
Good job on your 7 lber...

Cya out there again soon...

ART HILL
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Barrys dad also caught a carp that was about 16lbs and that fish WORKED him. We were using light spinning rods with 6lb line mind you. After he caught that fish he was done for the day. He had a great time though.He spent the rest of the day enjoying just being out there with his son and his friend and counting your fish Larry.

Those carp are strong fish. The one that my client's grandson caught yesterday caused him some wrist pain. Then he did not want to touch it. I am glad Barry and his dad had a good time. Good job getting them on fish.