PDA

View Full Version : rock creek lake camping

xxwake4lifexx
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I posted a while back talking about how myself and some buddies are going camping/fishing during early July at Convict Lake. As much as I love Convict, I'd like to try and go somewhere new this summer. We decided on Rock Creek Lake. I'm looking for a little advice on which campgrounds would best suit what we're looking for. I don't need to make reservations. We're leaving Thursday July 9th and returning Sunday the 12th. Basically what we're looking for is shade, a good distance from neighboring sites, close to (if not right against) the creek, some seclusion (we don't want to see or hear passing traffic from main roads, Tom's Place, etc.), and room for 2 cars.

From what I can read and the pictures I can see online there are a few campgrounds that seem to suit what we're hoping for.

Big Meadow
East Fork (if there are sites that are similar to what we're looking for)
Pine Grove & Upper Pine Grove
Rock Creek Lake

Which ones do you think are worth trying first?

Thanks guys.

sierraslam
06-16-2009, 06:44 AM
I like Iris Meadow in Rockcreek cyn. The last two spots at the end of the road are the best, but there is plenty of camping right on the creek. good fishin!

fishfinder
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
palisades is probably the nicest you will find without a resv. only 5 campgrounds.
would put a pic in but no matter what i do it just won't load 14kb and 280x620. i give up might be able to do when i get home, or pm me your email and i will send you some photos of palisades.
east fork has a few good spots but the good ones are booked through the summer. most of the sites are no shade and ugly and rocky and small.

xxwake4lifexx
06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Also, is Google Maps correct in saying the 295 mile trip from Riverside, CA will take 5.5 hours?

Fresh H2O Bill
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Wake,

I just spent Father's Day weekend up at Rock Creek Lake with my son and his Father-in-law. We stayed at RCL campground. It's right on the lake, has shaded tent camp sites (28 total), and there is some space beween each site. The fishing was good at the lake on stockers, 42 planters in the two days in the 12" and larger models. We hiked up into the higher surrounding areas to fish the creek and it was non-stop action on 6"-8" brookies and browns. Make sure you take your warm stuff and be prepared for quick weather changes. We had sleet and hail on Friday night around midnight and Saturday night was colder than Friday. I live in Corona and it is basically a 5.5 hour drive for me.

Safe travels to you, have a great time, and tight line!

Bill

Romans 12: 1 and 2

exodus
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Also, is Google Maps correct in saying the 295 mile trip from Riverside, CA will take 5.5 hours?

Yeah, that's probably about right give or take. Remember that you go through several towns where you have to slow down to < 25 mph on the way. Also, you might experience some construction delays going up.

As for sites, on the website they have a listing of those that don't need reservations for and I would go for those, because chances are you aren't going to find a site in the reservation areas at this point.

xxwake4lifexx
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Wake,

I just spent Father's Day weekend up at Rock Creek Lake with my son and his Father-in-law. We stayed at RCL campground. It's right on the lake, has shaded tent camp sites (28 total), and there is some space beween each site. The fishing was good at the lake on stockers, 42 planters in the two days in the 12" and larger models. We hiked up into the higher surrounding areas to fish the creek and it was non-stop action on 6"-8" brookies and browns. Make sure you take your warm stuff and be prepared for quick weather changes. We had sleet and hail on Friday night around midnight and Saturday night was colder than Friday. I live in Corona and it is basically a 5.5 hour drive for me.

Safe travels to you, have a great time, and tight line!

Bill

Romans 12: 1 and 2

I noticed all those extra lakes in the area on Google Earth. Do you know which ones you can reach by vehicle? About how long did it take you to hike to the lakes in the surrounding areas?

fishfinder
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I noticed all those extra lakes in the area on Google Earth. Do you know which ones you can reach by vehicle? About how long did it take you to hike to the lakes in the surrounding areas?

its a short hike, (15 minute hike to first lake, uphill.)
but you should wait a day to get climatized to the altitude
unlike we did when we were there last month. (got to campground and drank 2 beers @ 9000 (beers@ 9000) feet, then hiked up above 10,000 feet)
This link will get you all excited and drooling about it.
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/virtual/llvalley/1.htm

xxwake4lifexx
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
its a short hike, (15 minute hike to first lake, uphill.)
but you should wait a day to get climatized to the altitude
unlike we did when we were there last month. (got to campground and drank 2 beers @ 9000 (beers@ 9000) feet, then hiked up above 10,000 feet)
This link will get you all excited and drooling about it.
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/virtual/llvalley/1.htm

Oh nice! Yeah I can hardly wait. Just 2 weeks away!

fishfinder
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
its been snowing up there so dress warm.

xxwake4lifexx
06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
its been snowing up there so dress warm.

Will do! I camped in the snow 2 winters ago and my sleeping bag has yet to fail me! It keeps me so warm.

xxwake4lifexx
06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on good spots to fish from the shore at?

YellowSuge
06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I was there on Friday at about 9am. The only spot that seemed to be doing well was where the creek and the lake meet. Everywhere else seemed to be slow.

xxwake4lifexx
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Alright kids! We're leaving tomorrow morning at 4:30am! Wish us luck!

I am very excite! :D

fishfinder
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
good luck. where did you decide to stay at?