PDA

View Full Version : Out in the backyard.....

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I was doing laundry and a bee circled me and was rather close. I swatted at it and it landed on a tropical plant we have in the yard and I wondered WTF? I looked around and saw a bunch of bees flying around and going in and out of a Large plastic tree pot we have in the yard by the avocado tree. I am not sure if this wild hive is africanized or not. I don't want to get to close to find out. Anyway, I called around to places that remove the bees and most of them were charging $ 178.00 average. Some were $ 175.00 . Yikes! thats a bunch of money we don't have right now. I found one co. that said they charge $ 97.50 Thats a much better price compaired to all the others. They also said that they don't kill the bees. I really don't want to kill good bees. If they are Africanized then they should be killed because of the threat to people and pets they pose.

Cangler
06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Why not [bee]come an apiarist ?

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Cangler, becoming a bee keeper is not my cup of tea. It is really cool what bees do .

Cangler
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
You never know , you may get a buzz out of it ....

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
:LOL: Yeah , That be true. Thanks for reading and replying Cangler.

I am waiting for the Bee guy to come over ( between 3 & 5 PM )

It should be cool if the guy vacuums them bees up. I am looking forward to see how the bee guy is going to collect them bees. I will be standing back a bit and checking it all out.

Skyler
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Call county vector control and say they are being aggressive. They will remove 'em for free.

sansou
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Bic lighter and a nice tall can of Aquanet!

C'mon Patrick! You know how many jars of powerbait you can buy for $100!!

Bee safe whatever you do!

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Bic lighter and a nice tall can of Aquanet!

C'mon Patrick! You know how many jars of powerbait you can buy for $100!!

Bee safe whatever you do!

Ok I got a true story, ( I may have told it before ) anyway, I was living in another house down the street from me ( Was Grandma's house ) and I had not mowed the back yard in some time. It was about this time of year or a little latter. So I set out mowing the lawn. There was a gopher hole that some yellow jackets ( the meat eating type of bee) ( Not sure if the propper name of them ) so I came across the hole and the bees were really pissed off to say the least. The grass was 1' or so high and dry. So I came up with this great idea. Get some gas, a funnel, & a book of matches.

So I poured down the hole about a gallon of gas I steped back and proceded to flick matches at the hole.( I waited for a bit so the gas went deep into the hole.) I was standing about 10 feet away trying to get it lit. Finally it happened. Dam ,that was a big explosion followed by a huge Fire ball mushroom cloud that went 25 feet into the air. The dry grass around the hole was on fire now and I ran to turn on the hose to put it out fast. There was a burn area apox 20 feet in dia. around the gopher hole. I never did see any more bees in the yard again.

So Sansou, I think I will leave the bee removel to the pros.

txcurry
06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok I got a true story, ( I may have told it before ) anyway, I was living in another house down the street from me ( Was Grandma's house ) and I had not mowed the back yard in some time. It was about this time of year or a little latter. So I set out mowing the lawn. There was a gopher hole that some yellow jackets ( the meat eating type of bee) ( Not sure if the propper name of them ) so I came across the hole and the bees were really pissed off to say the least. The grass was 1' or so high and dry. So I came up with this great idea. Get some gas, a funnel, & a book of matches.

So I poured down the hole about a gallon of gas I steped back and proceded to flick matches at the hole.

Sounds lkike the time I poured black powder down a red ant hole and made about a 2 foot trail of it for a fuse, lit it, and watched dirt and rocks fly everywhere. It was very interesting to say the least.

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds lkike the time I poured black powder down a red ant hole and made about a 2 foot trail of it for a fuse, lit it, and watched dirt and rocks fly everywhere. It was very interesting to say the least.

NICE !!!

Please kids DO NOT DO THIS TYPE OF THING AT YOUR HOUSE. It's very DANGEROUS :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::Wink:

ghetto dad
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM

So I poured down the hole about a gallon of gas I steped back and proceded to flick matches at the hole.( I waited for a bit so the gas went deep into the hole.) I was standing about 10 feet away trying to get it lit. Finally it happened. Dam ,that was a big explosion followed by a huge Fire ball mushroom cloud that went 25 feet into the air. The dry grass around the hole was on fire now and I ran to turn on the hose to put it out fast. There was a burn area apox 20 feet in dia. around the gopher hole. I never did see any more bees in the yard again.

So Sansou, I think I will leave the bee removel to the pros.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:sorry patrick.....just picuted that brother

yeah, my wifes mom had a hive thing in their jacuzzi cupboard..same thing, about $100 to "remove" them......

GD

Nessie Hunter
06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I can just picture Patric NOW!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGnW0KLFZk

:ROFL::ROFL:

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I can just picture Patric NOW!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGnW0KLFZk

:ROFL::ROFL:

That was :Cool: Frank. It was like that but with a Fire ball Mushroom clould.

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Just called the bee guy 10 before 5 PM wondering where he is and if is still coming over . Guy said he is an hour to hour and a half away . he is on a route collecting honey. I told him that he was be be at my house between 3 and 5 PM. I have plans for tonight at 6 PM. He said he would try to hurry up. He could of at least called me to tell me he was running late and re- scheduled for tomorrow . I am still waiting . I guess if the bee guy collects them and can use them ( providing they are not Africanized ) that would be :Cool: I just don't want to kill perfectly good bees for no good reason.

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:sorry patrick.....just picuted that brother

yeah, my wifes mom had a hive thing in their jacuzzi cupboard..same thing, about $100 to "remove" them......

GD

Yeah, At the time I was scared *%$#less. Thinking my house was going to burn down, my neighbors homes going to burn down. Luckly I got the fire out and nothing happened & no one called the cops or fire Dept. I sure was lucky looking back on it. But its kind of funny also.

Please Kids, do not do this at your homes. Its very dangerous !!

GD, a hundred bucks is still a lot of cash. Others wanted much more. If they come out and take the bees and are going to use then for the honey they should pay me for the bees.

sansou
06-15-2009, 06:00 PM
You dissapoint me Patrick. I envisioned either Budweiser mini-Molotov cocktails, maybe some fire extinguisher action, or at least a little ghetto-flame throwing from you.

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 06:07 PM
You dissapoint me Patrick. I envisioned either Budweiser mini-Molotov cocktails, maybe some fire extinguisher action, or at least a little ghetto-flame throwing from you.

Well Sansou, 20 years ago I did stuff like that. I am 43 1/2 and have settled down quite a bit these days. :Big Grin::Wink:

tacklejunkie
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I'll eradicate them for the cost of gas to come over and a refill of my CO2 tank and paintball hopper.

That's how I took care of our bees nest at the old apartment :LOL:

It was on the patio. I just stood 5 feet away and started blasting..

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
ok , the the bee guy came by and left. He is driving a Ford Ranger with the rear window out and buckets of bees & hives he has removed from earlier in the day. Bees are flying all around his truck.:Shocked: ( inside & out ) :Shocked: His name was Gregg. nice guy wearing a Beatles shirt. He was cool . I take him to the back yard and he just walkes up to the tree pot and picks it up and starts walking with it to his truck. He sets in inside the truck and says " Cash or check " :LOL: no bee suit, no smoke . Man, I could do that. :LOL: NOT :!!!: So I am talking to Gregg and he wants to get going because all the bees from my tree pot are starting to get active because they are wondering what is going on. I ask him how come you don't get stung. his reply is he his hansome. Ok, So he says he don't get many tickets driving either. I believe that for sure.I write the check, $ 97.50 and he is on his way in less that 5 min. He also said that he tries to save the bees for honey producton. They check the Queen and see if its fit . I am happy they did not kill the bees .

According to Gregg all the bees are africanzed now in the wild. I asked why then you don't get a swarm and they attack people . He said that only happends in hot humid climates. I guess he knows right ?

sansou
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
ok , the the bee guy came by and left. He is driving a Ford Ranger with the rear window out and buckets of bees & hives he has removed from earlier in the day. Bees are flying all around his truck.:Shocked: ( inside & out ) :Shocked: His name was Gregg. nice guy wearing a Beatles shirt. He was cool . I take him to the back yard and he just walkes up to the tree pot and picks it up and starts walking with it to his truck. He sets in inside the truck and says " Cash or check " :LOL: no bee suit, no smoke . Man, I could do that. :LOL: NOT :!!!: So I am talking to Gregg and he wants to get going because all the bees from my tree pot are starting to get active because they are wondering what is going on. I ask him how come you don't get stung. his reply is he his hansome. Ok, So he says he don't get many tickets driving either. I believe that for sure.I write the check, $ 97.50 and he is on his way in less that 5 min. He also said that he tries to save the bees for honey producton. They check the Queen and see if its fit . I am happy they did not kill the bees .

According to Gregg all the bees are africanzed now in the wild. I asked why then you don't get a swarm and they attack people . He said that only happends in hot humid climates. I guess he knows right ?

:ROFL: Seriously??? Beatles t-shirt guy just walked up and plucked the hive and put it in his truck for a hundie??? No special spacesuit, no smoke machine, no special tools??? :Shocked:

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 08:09 PM
:ROFL: Seriously??? Beatles t-shirt guy just walked up and plucked the hive and put it in his truck for a hundie??? No special spacesuit, no smoke machine, no special tools??? :Shocked:

Yep, Thats exactly how it happened. I was :Shocked: too. I was thinking like I should get a discount price . He asked me to make the check out to him. I am sure he pocketed the money. Not bad for just 1 min. of work. :EyePop:

Granny Fish
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Unbelievable!

troutdog
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Great story TM...the visuals are priceless. You are living proof you don't have to live in the South to be a redneck :LOL:

All jokes and bees aside, a sincere thank you for your contributions this weekend.

TD

Troutman65
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Great story TM...the visuals are priceless. You are living proof you don't have to live in the South to be a redneck :LOL:

All jokes and bees aside, a sincere thank you for your contributions this weekend.

TD

I think we do live in the South TD. Southern California.:LOL::Wink:

troutdog
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I think we do live in the South TD. Southern California.:LOL::Wink:

I certainly stand corrected :LOL:

TD

Troutman65
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I certainly stand corrected :LOL:

TD

:LOL: Your a good sport TD :Big Grin::Wink:

Skyler
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM

$100 bucks for that?! You pay taxes, right? Use those public services you are entitled to. Just call vector control. Like I said, they will usually remove 'em for free. Those bees are considered a safety hazard, not just to you, the property owner, but to your adjacent properties as well. They will be there quick if you say they are acting aggressive. The city/county is generally on it nowadays, what with the Africanized strains on the loose.

NICKYMOUSE8
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Sounds like we carried the same legacy except mine was 3/8 stick of dynamite slightly buried after I poured half gallon of gasoline down the red ant hole yeah I was a twisted little man hehehe

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
$100 bucks for that?! You pay taxes, right? Use those public services you are entitled to. Just call vector control. Like I said, they will usually remove 'em for free. Those bees are considered a safety hazard, not just to you, the property owner, but to your adjacent properties as well. They will be there quick if you say they are acting aggressive. The city/county is generally on it nowadays, what with the Africanized strains on the loose.

This is the second hive in 5 years that we have had to remove. The first one I did call vector control and they said I had to call someone else. They would not come out and do it. Thats why I called around to get the lowest price I could.

2quikmotorwerks
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM

So Sansou, I think I will leave the bee removel to the pros.lmfao:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:, patrick i dont think fire marshall bill would have approved of that

Skyler
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
This is the second hive in 5 years that we have had to remove. The first one I did call vector control and they said I had to call someone else. They would not come out and do it. Thats why I called around to get the lowest price I could.

Like I said, saying they are aggressive is key. If they still refuse to remove 'em, threaten to sue for discrimination, lol. Those bees are vector control's responsibility, and if they remove one hive for another person and not for you, that's discrimination, he he he.

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Like I said, saying they are aggressive is key. If they still refuse to remove 'em, threaten to sue for discrimination, lol. Those bees are vector control's responsibility, and if they remove one hive for another person and not for you, that's discrimination, he he he.

I'll keep that in mind next time Skyler. Thanks for the replys.:Big Grin:

2quikmotorwerks
06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_arzPICEA

Granny Fish
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Didn't work for us last year when the neighbor's tree had a hive. The Garden Grove vector control website specifically states "OCVCD does not handle bees because we are not trained or equipped to do so.

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_arzPICEA

Hey 2 Quick, Back in the day ( 1990 , almost 20 years ago) Living Color was one of my fav. shows. Hommie the Clown was funny too.

troutdog
06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
So I came up with this great idea. Get some gas, a funnel, & a book of matches.

TM65's Bee Removal Service: demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3-wbk25mQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3-wbk25mQ)

:ROFL:

TD

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Didn't work for us last year when the neighbor's tree had a hive. The Garden Grove vector control website specifically states "OCVCD does not handle bees because we are not trained or equipped to do so.

Thats kinda what I recall them telling me on the phone. That they did not do it and that I had to call someone else.

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
TM65's Bee Removal Service: demo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3-wbk25mQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3-wbk25mQ)

:ROFL:

TD

It was not quite like that TD.:LOL::Wink:

SQUIRREL
06-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago, like you i called for prices but cou;dn't afford. The bees were under the spa. so i put a couple of sweat shirt on a pillow case over my head heavy glove took a bug boom which I bought from home depot and i threw it under the spa were the bees were and the rest was history took out the whole hive. I did this a night

Troutman65
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago, like you i called for prices but cou;dn't afford. The bees were under the spa. so i put a couple of sweat shirt on a pillow case over my head heavy glove took a bug boom which I bought from home depot and i threw it under the spa were the bees were and the rest was history took out the whole hive. I did this a night

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing.:Cool:

Skyler
06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Wow, so what are they being paid for? Fumigating abandoned buildings? Imagine that, San Bernardino county manages something better than OC, lol. Then again, we do have more critters here. I think you guys should start a petition, lol!

Honestly, I think I'd enjoy hitting the hive with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a match before I paid someone $100 to remove it. But then again I do have some anger issues, lol.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I'll move them for fifty or an abu garcia conventional reel??african bees??kill them?????are you racist??lol

Skyler
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
african bees??kill them?????are you racist??lol

Ha ha ha ha!