PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's Best Streams & Rivers

pattitude
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I Fished upper rock creek last year with my girlfriend, she just got new waders and has the fishin fever. Can anyone suggest good rivers & strems to wader fish in the eastern sierras. The owens seems to have holes we'd fall in, I've seen some post with great looking streams, can anyone point me in the right dirrection. We are strictly catch & Release!!

Many thanks

Pattitude

DCCTrouserTrout
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Pretty much all of them are good

mth1997
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Check out the DFG stock list for the southern deserts (Mono and Inyo counties) and google any of those waters. Like DCC said, they're pretty much all good.

Also, be aware that some waters in the Eastern Sierra have the invasive non-native species New Zealand Mud-snail. It is extremely important to the conservation of other waterways that the NZMS is not spread. NZMS can be spread when the little critters hang on to wading boots, waders, or any other gear that is used in or around the stream. Check with the local fly or tackle shops or with the local DFG office to find out if the stream/s you want to fish is NZMS positive.

You can still wade these waters, just freeze your gear overnight BEFORE FISHING OTHER WATERS or wash with hot water to kill the snails. Dry and inspect thoroughly!!! The NZMS can be very small, like a grain of sand.

Good luck!!

Mister Twister
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I Fished upper rock creek last year with my girlfriend, she just got new waders and has the fishin fever. Can anyone suggest good rivers & strems to wader fish in the eastern sierras. The owens seems to have holes we'd fall in, I've seen some post with great looking streams, can anyone point me in the right dirrection. We are strictly catch & Release!!

Many thanks

PattitudeTry cottonwood creek,shepards sand trap,Independence creek,Tuttle ,save you some drive time and there are browns, brooks to be found if you hike a bit and do some research,Cottonwood on a weekday you have the hole canyon to yourself. The canyon itself is worth checking out. Good place for waders,overgrown banks are where the fish are there.

tpfishnfool
06-14-2009, 06:02 PM
East Walker is great in winter and early spring, but slows a bit in summer. Owens benton crossing is good most of the season. Rush Creek is fished hard and is all put and take.

sb fishing
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Hands Down... the East Walker!!

greg
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Rush Creek and upper Owens are good. :Smile: East Walker is better. :Big Grin:

DCCTrouserTrout
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Rush Creek and upper Owens are good. :Smile: East Walker is better. :Big Grin:

and I am going to E.Walker really soon. For a week...

Big Country
06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
The west walker is pretty fun too, up by the marine base.

Loco
06-17-2009, 12:21 AM
San Joaquin River near Devils Postpile is a classic. I think the road is open now. There are Goldens, brookies and rainbows above Rainbow Falls there, but it is a bit of a hike from Agnew Meadows. Well worth it. Mostly Browns and Rainbows below the falls. Rainbow Falls is an easy hike from Red Meadows. Popular with fly fisherman, but plenty of willing fish. Check Regs before you go. May be high water right now. You have to hike down to these spots, but it is worth the effort. The Trout Fly in Mammoth can point you in the right direction.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/DSCN0559.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/DSCN0543.jpg
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/DSCN0560.jpg