PDA

View Full Version : Castaic report 6-13

Pete Marino
06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Barry and I decided to go fish the American Bass tournament at castaic on Saturday since this is our favorite time of year to fish Castaic.
Between us both we caught about 25-30 keepers.
We fished both the ski arm and the fish arm in 2-9 ft of water.
We started out in Slalom cove and caught one on a reaction bait and one on a plastic. I wanted to stay with the reaction bait for a while because i was looking for a big bass. So we continued with me throwing the reaction baits for the most part for the next 2 hours for 0 bites.:Neutral:
At about 9 am i decided to put down the reaction baits and go to work with the finesse stuff. Out came the 6 lb line and off we went.
We had a limit in the next 30 mintues and continued to catch the bass and cull up our weight the rest of the day.
I kept telling Barry that we'd come accross some big fish but we needed to continue making as many casts as possible so we just kept firing away.
At about noon I make a cast and feel one small "tick", I set the hook and get a deep head shake. "BigFish" I said.....it comes to the top and sure enough its a good one. After a quick battle its in the boat. Almost 5 lbs...thats our kicker I tell Barry. Now we need a 3 lber and we may have a shot at a check so we continue making casts and catching fish but nothing big. We were improving by ounces but I was looking to improve by pounds.
Then after about 10 bass since our big fish I make a cast a feel another "tick". I set the hook and get deep headshake again. "I have another big one" I said. After another quick battle, Barry nets the solid 3 lb bass. "Yes"!!!! Being the greedy tournament angler that I am, I wanted another one. hahaha So we continue to fire away and catch a couple more but nothing that helps and we head in for weigh ins.
As it turned out our total weight was 13.70 lbs good enough for 3rd place and our Big fish was 4.95 lbs and was the BIG BASS of the tournament!! :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:
All of the bass were caught in 2-9 ft of water. Both in the ski arm AND the fish arm. We fished sloping banks with chunk rock. If it wasnt sloping with chunk rock we didnt fish it.
All but one bass was caught on small plastics with 6 lb line.
This is the pic of our 2 biggest of the day.
The 4.95 lb Big Bass of the tournament and the 3 lber.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/castaictournament.jpg

Pic of Barry and I getting our plaques
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/castaic3rdpl.jpg

If anybody wants to get out to castaic for a guide trip give me a call and I'll get you on the same pattern we were on yesterday.

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService. com
(909) 510-5679

Fishthewhaler
06-14-2009, 01:09 PM
25-30 18" fish??? Thats a pretty good day IMO!!Nice

Pete Marino
06-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I mean tournament keepers. Tournaments have a 13" minimum Variance..
We caught 25-30 tournament keepers that were over 13 inches..

Pete:Cool: