PDA

View Full Version : Noob Bluegill fishing question

Ifishtoolittle
06-13-2009, 11:04 PM
So tommorrow I'm taking a buddy of mine to go on his first fishing trip. We're mainly targeting Bluegill, but the problem is that he's not quite ready to handle live bait. So I opted to use bread and hotdogs for him. My question is that when people use hotdogs is it cooked or is it raw? Thanks!

-Ifishtoolittle

PokerFish
06-14-2009, 01:22 AM
I don't really think it will matter if it is cooked or not. If you cook it though, you'll have something to snack on if you get hungry :Big Grin:

PokerFish
06-14-2009, 01:24 AM
You can catch bluegills on pretty much anything. I caught about 20 a couple of days ago just jigging a bare gold hook.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-14-2009, 05:21 AM
You can catch bluegills on pretty much anything. I caught about 20 a couple of days ago just jigging a bare gold hook.
thts true. best use 2lbs test and size 10 mesquito hook with red or green powerbait worm, freeline..

you can use hotdogs for bluegills??didn't know that..

Ifishtoolittle
06-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Once my brother got some bluegills at the pudd by having them jump put of the water for a chunk of plastic and then hooking themselves. It was very funny.

smokinflies
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
So tommorrow I'm taking a buddy of mine to go on his first fishing trip. We're mainly targeting Bluegill, but the problem is that he's not quite ready to handle live bait. So I opted to use bread and hotdogs for him. My question is that when people use hotdogs is it cooked or is it raw? Thanks!

-Ifishtoolittle

not ready to handle live bait? how old is your buddy? Three?

if you wanna catch blues, i've heard that meal worms are the way too go.

That Dang Guy
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Depends where you're going. Perris bluegill prefer live crickets. They're pretty easy to handle once you get over the bug factor. Grab them from the back and turn 'em over. Put thread them on the hook from the top of their chest out their rear.

If they're alittle too antsy for your buddy, try putting the whole cricket container on ice. This slows them down quite a bit. This works for other live baits as well.

PokerFish
06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
not ready to handle live bait? how old is your buddy? Three?

Yea, unless your buddy is really young, it's pretty ridiculous to be afraid of live bait if you're going to be fishing. Even if he was young, you should help him/her get over it. The idea to put on ice is a good one, it will calm down whatever you are fishing with.

PokerFish
06-14-2009, 04:32 PM
if you wanna catch blues, i've heard that meal worms are the way too go.

Meal worms are my go to bait if the Bluegill bite is slow. They are easy to handle, hardy, and work great.

If there is no way your buddy is going to get over the whole live bait thing, you could also try small plastic grubs or small jigs. They work great as well.

hughpam
06-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Not trying to be funny here, but I used to teach special ed kids, and I bet some of them would not have done well with worms or crickets.

formosa
06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
ur buddy catn't hadle live bait? hmmmm he(she) SHALL NOT fishing j/k. lol
try fish trout teaser with bobber. good luck.

Billy Bass
06-14-2009, 06:53 PM
You ought to really try at least some meal worms (the small ones). They really don't squirm too much, and after you thread a size ten single hook through 'em they don't squirm at all!

Ifishtoolittle
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Well I fished with him today and he was able to hook on some waxies well. We got a few gills' in the 4" model LOL!

Troutslayer620
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
You can also go to Petco and buy Can"O" Crickets, they are preserved crickets used for fishing or feedng your reptiles.