PDA

View Full Version : blue fin tuna extinct by 2012???

Oz
06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/revealed-the-bid-to-corner-worlds-bluefin-tuna-market-1695479.html

seen this on another board and thought i would spread it here

Revealed: the bid to corner world's bluefin tuna market

Mitsubishi freezing fish to sell later as stock numbers plummet toward extinction

By Martin Hickman, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

Bluefin tuna is being over-fished and its numbers can't be sustained, scientists say

Japan's sprawling Mitsubishi conglomerate has cornered a 40 per cent share of the world
market in bluefin tuna, one of the world's most endangered fish.

A corporation within the £170bn Mitsubishi empire is importing thousands of tonnes of the
fish from Europe into Tokyo's premium fish markets, despite stocks plummeting towards
extinction in the Mediterranean.

Bluefin tuna frozen at -60C now could be sold in several years' time for astronomical sums
if Atlantic bluefin becomes commercially extinct as forecast, a result of the near free-for-all
enjoyed by the tuna fleet.

In the forthcoming documentary film The End of the Line, Roberto Mielgo, a former bluefin
fisherman who travels the world monitoring catches, claims that Mitsubishi buys and sells
60 per cent of the threatened fish and that it has expanded its freezer capacity to hold
extra bluefin.

Mitsubishi acknowledges that it freezes bluefin, but only, it says, to even out peaks
and troughs in supply.

"Mitsubishi Corporation handles between 35 per cent and 40 per cent of Atlantic and
Mediterranean bluefin tuna imported to Japan," the company told The Independent.

"As we explicitly explained to the makers of the film, the fishing season for bluefin
tuna in the Mediterranean is very short, making it necessary to freeze tuna to provide
customers with stable supplies throughout the year."

Fish stocks across the world are in retreat because of over-fishing. One study suggests
oceans will be stripped clean of all fish by 2048. Bluefin is imminently at risk of commercial
extinction. The wildlife charity WWF forecasts that breeding stocks of the fish that
migrate from the Atlantic to spawn will be wiped out in the Mediterranean by 2012.

Although the legal bluefin catch is set at 22,000 tonnes, conservationists suspect
the actual catch is 60,000 tonnes, four times the maximum that marine scientists
recommend. After studying catches and sales, Charles Clover, the environmental
journalist behind the film The End of the Line, believes that businesses involved in
the ransacking are deep-freezing 20,000 tonnes of bluefin a year for later use.

He hopes his film will galvanise the public about over-fishing in the same way Al
Gore's An Inconvenient Truth mobilised opinion against climate change.

British retailers and chefs will not stock bluefin because it is so endangered. However,
as disclosed in The Independent last week, the Japanese restaurant Nobu continues
to serve it – while advising diners to choose a dish that is less environmentally damaging.

The fisheries body responsible for numbers, the International Commission for the
Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT), sanctioned a bluefin catch of 22,000 tonnes
this year in defiance of its own scientists who advised no more than 8,500-15,000 tonnes.

WWF said the decision was a "disgrace". In fisheries circles, ICCAT is sometimes
referred to as the International Conspiracy to Catch All Tuna. Rules forbidding the
use of spotter planes to identify tuna shoals are flouted and boats are thought to
have connections to organised crime in Italy.

Willie Mackenzie, a Greenpeace fish campaigner, said: "Mitsubishi are best known
in the UK for making cars or electrical goods – and for most people it comes as a
bit of a shock to find out they are one of the world's biggest traders in the endangered
bluefin tuna. Bluefin tuna are as endangered as rhinos or tigers."

Ifishtoolittle
06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Dude that just sucks. Use a net for catch and release! Yeah I've seen some documentaries of Japanese fishermen and their Bluefin catches the take on the fish is just staggering. Interesting article hopefully it will spread.

Troutman65
06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I am very upset about the over fishing of the Blue Fin Tuna. It's my favorite Tuna to eat raw. They should protect the tuna and not over fish it to extintion. I would boycot the Tuna to save it.

Nessie Hunter
06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Why point at Japan & Mitsubishi??

The largest BFT grow out pens and fleet is in Australian waters operated by Australians..... I guess its OK cuz we like them???

If its on the menu people will order it!!! $$$$$ At $2,000 A pound...

Shashimi BFT is the BOMB!! YFT is next in line....

"Willie Mackenzie, a Greenpeace fish campaigner, said:" !!!
Freakin Tree huggers, I wouldnt believe anything they said... But in this case, its close to accurate.....

cappo
06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
oz u better hurry and land one this year.

ghetto dad
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
oz u better hurry and land one this year.

yeah....the cuz got his on Liberty last season!!

GD

Cangler
06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
As 99.9% of all species have gone extinct anyway , it only to be expected isnt it ?

DarkShadow
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
That article was written by hippies that are using numbers that have been twisted so that they can prevent us from fishing.

I'm keeping all the bluefin I catch, within my limits, because if extinction was the case, the DFG would have the limits changed to reflect that.

:ROFL:

sansou
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm down to C&R all my bluefin, so long as you do it first. Yeah....that's what i thought. :Wink: LOL

Interesting article Oz! (aka farmer formerly known as "Osiito")

DarkShadow
06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm down to C&R all my bluefin, so long as you do it first.

Yeah, I'm releasing all my bluefin into the fish hold with my number stapled to its cheek.

Gossamer
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't even worry about it right now....We can worry about this on 12/22/2012...According the the Mayan calendar and the chinese book the I-ching the world is supposed to end on 12/21/2012...

Looks like Mitsubishi is wasting there money....:Envious::ROFL:

Evilone
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
As 99.9% of all species have gone extinct anyway , it only to be expected isnt it ?

Absolutely correct. Extinction of species is the norm on this dot of a planet in the darkness. Trying to save species one at a time and not solve the great issue of warming, pollution, and mainly overcrowding, they will all be gone anyway. After a time the planet will allow for a re-population by new sucessful survivor species and their evolutionary results. This is the absolute base of life on this planet that all the eco-terriosts either don't understand or are afraid of. What they can't control. they try to circumvent or blame on others

Alexi
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I am very upset about the over fishing of the Blue Fin Tuna. It's my favorite Tuna to eat raw. They should protect the tuna and not over fish it to extintion. I would boycot the Tuna to save it.

tell that to all the long rangers and charter boats who strive to catch "limits" to boost newer clientel. comming back from a trip with 300 pounds of tuna you will never eat is just stupid, and that my friends is over-fishing at its finest. i mean you can take, and take, and take fish from the ocean. but soon, there wont be much to take anymore. i'm a youngin, 27, and ive said this for at least 10 years now......a fishermans limit should be one of each species of fish a day. catch a small one? throw it back and let it grow and catch yourself a bigger one to keep. i had the balls to say that on a recent trip and a couple guys didnt take it too well. but those same guys were keeping every single fish, BARELY LEGAL, that they caught.

sorry everyone...just a new members' rant about a pet peev subject for me and how we could help our favorite hobby and pastime

GET DA NET
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Don't even worry about it right now....We can worry about this on 12/22/2012...According the the Mayan calendar and the chinese book the I-ching the world is supposed to end on 12/21/2012...

Looks like Mitsubishi is wasting there money....:Envious::ROFL:
This is so true.........