PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Harbor info??

SD Pirate
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Thinking of going up there.Does any one know of any good spots and good lures to try.Thanks in advance for any info.

socalrippin
06-16-2009, 05:21 PM
wow its been two days and nobody has replied to this. thanks for the friendly help huh?

try the jettie next to the bait barge. sometimes theres a homeless guy there that swims out to the barge on a surf board and will buy you live bait if you pay him. otherwise use jerk baits preferably lucky crafts. drop shot different things like your fishing for largmouth basically. try frozen bait mackerel, anchovies, squid, i saw a guy with two 4 ft leopard sharks on a stringer last weekend.

buck48808
06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Try fishing the backside of the island with any soft plastic. I haven't fished bait back there, but I am sure it would work.

newster
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
If you troll a lucky craft next to the bait barge you will hook up to a barracuda every time, but it will probably be short. If you fish the ocean side of the long jetty there is a good chance of hooking up with a calico bass or sheephead. You will get tangled up a lot, but I find that the quality of fish is better there than the short jetty. If you fish the same jetty at night, you can consistently catch sculpin as soon as the sun sets. Sometimes you can see corvina cruising the harbor side of the long jetty. Throw a kroc and retrieve in front of them, sometimes they bite.

DEADROOTS
06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
wow its been two days and nobody has replied to this. thanks for the friendly help huh?

try the jettie next to the bait barge. sometimes theres a homeless guy there that swims out to the barge on a surf board and will buy you live bait if you pay him. otherwise use jerk baits preferably lucky crafts. drop shot different things like your fishing for largmouth basically. try frozen bait mackerel, anchovies, squid, i saw a guy with two 4 ft leopard sharks on a stringer last weekend.

I was there yesterday with no bites.