PDA

View Full Version : Old Worms

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I used 3lbs1oz's of plastics on bass alone last year.
(excuse the dusty hair bag, but it was sitting around for a year :LOL: )
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Worms.jpg
That's 3lbs of trash I COULD have left on the water. Image walking up on a nasty used pile of plastics on the shoreline like this. Even more plastics flew off my line when bass ate them that I was unable to recover.

fishmounter
06-13-2009, 01:07 PM
None of those are any good? Man I reuse my worms and Ikas until they fall apart. I just keep melting them back together. Especially the expensive ones. I also have remelted old plastics and re-pour new worms, though they come out being kind of a shat brown color, but the bass still bite them.

Skyler
06-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Indeed. A little Bic lighter time, and those plastics will be good as new! BTW, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If you are throwing 'em out, let me know, and i'll take 'em off your hands, lol.

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I usually save them up for VG. He gets double use out of them. I might need different worms or scents for different applications. Sometimes just changing the scent or ridding of it all together on the same worm color will hook you up. Don't like to throw a worm back in the bag after it has a few fish on it or a glob of scent on it.

A lot of these are pretty chewed up, but I'm sure a lot of them are also still usable with some fixing.

Skyler
06-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I usually save them up for VG. He gets double use out of them. I might need different worms or scents for different applications. Sometimes just changing the scent or ridding of it all together on the same worm color will hook you up. Don't like to throw a worm back in the bag after it has a few fish on it or a glob of scent on it.

A lot of these are pretty chewed up, but I'm sure a lot of them are also still usable with some fixing.

I'm sure Adam will appreciate that load, lol! I usually put my plastics back in the bag unless they are gulp stuff. Then I repair the ripped ones as neccesary. A bag lasts me way longer that way, and I haven't noticed any real difference in hook-up rate with the refurbished worms. Either way, nice compilation of worn worms. I wonder how many bass it took to make that big a bag, lol?

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sure I can divy up my used worms. No worries.
I'll start on a second bag.

I've seen you fix a few with lighters before and shape them.

I just figured I'd throw them in a bag instead of on the ground so someone, if not me, could get some use from them again. Kinda bugs me when i see robos all over the lake. It's like dang, that was for sure a fisherman leaving his crap here..
Specially when your walking down shore and see a morning dawn. Then 30 feet down shore another morning dawn.. then 30 feet more another and another.. you know it was some dude throwing his worms all over and not just some bass who shook one off.

3lbs of plastic could be in the bottom of our drinking supply water and that's just from me alone in a year, all the ones I was able to save.

DropShotMan
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
seperate them and melt them down and pour new ones

sansou
06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
seperate them and melt them down and pour new ones

...and once shaped and cooled down after melting, then put them in scalding hot water for a few minutes, pull them out and roll them in thick rock salt.

A buddy of mine in AZ does that with his old worms.

Nice job not littering TJ!

BingJr
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I think everyone missed the point of save your old plastics so that entire bag isn't dumped into our lakes every year by every angler. But always good to re-use the worms.. :ROFL:

tacklejunkie
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I probably should grab a worm mold one day.
Do you just melt the worms down in a crappy pot?
I bet I could cut up a nice mold out of delrin or aluminum on my mill but I'm too lazy.

Hehe, I'll start "T.J.'s used worms Co."

breeze71
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Dump them all in a Pyrex glass and stick them in the microwave for 3 minutes mixing at 1 minute intervals. You can get a $10 mold from lurecraft.

Judging by all those greens and browns you have in the bag you would probably get a nice color for bass fishing.