PDA

View Full Version : carp dying

basscatcher
06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
hey guys i just got word that the carp the dying at havasu and anothe lake on the river from a koi virus or some sort. my friend said there are alot of dead carp all over havasu. can anyone confirm this?

God BLess

basscatcher

Nightstalker 424
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
It's true, they have herpes!

http://zoniereport.com/2009/06/fish-herpes-causes-die-off-in-lake-havasu/

http://www.azgfd.net/fish/fishing-news/carp-die-off-at-lake-mohave-due-to-a-virus/2009/06/10/

NICKYMOUSE8
06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
:Sad:oh no thats pretty sad to hear, does this mean our prized so cal carp can fall victim to this virus serious can it spread??

jerryG
06-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow sounds like a lot of the carp in Colorado river system are KHV positive. Who knew herpes...

Troutman65
06-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Herps is a bad STD. :Shocked:

J. Owen
06-12-2009, 04:41 AM
good carp are garbage fish anyway lol:Secret:

RRTGuy
06-12-2009, 06:35 AM
They have in fact been dying for weeks. Just recently did they find out it was KHV or Koi Herpes Virus. Problem was they had to find a live specimen to test and they couldn't LOL. Good thing is its only affecting Koi, Carp and, goldfish. No worries about the other fish.

Stormcrow
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is simply Natures way of controlling the size of a population. A Density Dependent Limiting Factor as it is called. Nothing to worry about. The Carp populations in that area of the river are overly huge anyway. This kind of thing is needed from time to time.

JENSEN500
06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
they need to introduce that virus into lake hemet to get rid of the infestation there!

PHISHnutS
06-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is simply Natures way of controlling the size of a population. A Density Dependent Limiting Factor as it is called. Nothing to worry about. The Carp populations in that area of the river are overly huge anyway. This kind of thing is needed from time to time.

Can the same be true for nature vs humans??

Stormcrow
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

It scares me to say: Yes

There is a story about an experiment that was conducted where 20 lab rats where given a huge amount of space, and as much food and water as they could handle. They were in a 10 foot by 10 foot enclosure and obviously, they started to reproduce. They continued to recieve food and water in huge amounts and they continued to reproduce. The population grew and grew and they were STILL given huge amounts of food and water. Finally, 20 rats had turned into over 3000. They were crawling on top of each other, and getting attitudes yet they were STILL given tons of food and water and they STILL continued to reproduce. Finally, with no explanation, one day, EVERY rat died in the enclosure. All within 24 hours, and for no apparent reason at all.

JediMindTricks
06-12-2009, 08:15 AM
its havasu,
everyone gets herpes if they hang around too long.

RRTGuy
06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
its havasu,

:LMAO: so true!!!

BingJr
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Lets bring that Virus to Elsinore!!!!!!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

GET DA NET
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
its havasu,

lmao...........

bblbasser
06-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Introduce some of these infected carp to Big Bear and it would be tremendously beneficial!!!
PLEASE!!!!!

LunkerLover
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Well said Jason ... natural selection @ its finest ... DDLF happens amongst ALL species ya'll .... whether its' decades, centuries, or millenia, its ALL part of the cycle ... the sad thing will be when it hits Homo sapiens... :Shocked:

Ifishtoolittle
06-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Oh yeah, but due to advances in medicine it won't be as likely to happen.

basscatcher
06-12-2009, 10:11 PM
great we have swine flu and this lol

God Bless

basscatcher

RamboBoy
06-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Lets bring that Virus to Elsinore!!!!!!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

oh FINISH!

LOL

Astrolux
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
:Twisted: I never thought I would want spread herpes so bad in my life! :Twisted:

Bird dog
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Good,now the Smallies can completely take over havasu!

Cangler
06-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Yeah , cause as we all know , they fight harder than carp ! ... not !

Astrolux
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't mind that one bit!!!

riverbud55
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
only thing baby/small carp(up to 2LBs+) are one of the main source's of food for the flathead catfish, and a lot of other predatory gamefish

olefrog
06-16-2009, 06:17 PM
only thing baby/small carp(up to 2LBs+) are one of the main source's of food for the flathead catfish, and a lot of other predatory gamefish

Dale you hit the nail right on the head ,be careful what you ask for.
These fish are the rock polishers, the vacuum cleaners of the lake.
Just tell me how many small carp minnows you see ? they produce a ton of them and most are eaten.
I do not think it is all good, as some of you think.
ta ta ole frog

Astrolux
06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
You have a point ole frog but, I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Like others have mentioned in the thread, mother nature has her ways of cleaning herself out. Personally I cant see the carp going anywhere and will probably be back in full swing not far from now.

olefrog
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
You have a point ole frog but, I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened. Like others have mentioned in the thread, mother nature has her ways of cleaning herself out. Personally I cant see the carp going anywhere and will probably be back in full swing not far from now.

I do not think this was a mother nature act.
They think this was caused by a introduction of pet Koi.
Its like the lousey Salt Cedar tree, it came from China,all over the desert
The lousey Blue Gum that is all over So. California from Australia
The Carp from Germany
Its not mother nature, it is man upsetting mother nature .
It always don't work out for the best when one does things like this.

Did not see one dead carp south of the I 10 bridge to- day on the river.

ta ta ole frog

The Angler
06-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Just got back from the river yesterday and was going to post about the thousands of carp that i seen floating all over havasu. At one point i seen what appeared to be a little rock formation/ Island kinda of by where the river meets up with Havasu. As we got closer we realized it was just thousands of dead carp floating next to each other.

We also heard a rumor from some locals at a pizza joint by london bridge, They said something about a movie called pirahanna was being filmed there not to long ago and the dye they were using for blood was killing off the fish? But i dont know how true that was .

Hate2Fish
06-23-2009, 01:35 AM
With warm weather the lake must smell really good

RRTGuy
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Was out on Mohave this morning. Only saw one carp and it was on the surface, dying. Didn't meter one single fish in the 3 hours of trolling the lake. Dual beam sonar and not ONE fish metered............hope things turn around.

JediMindTricks
06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
do you think if you ate one of those carps, you would get herpes? :Shocked: lol.....

riverbud55
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
just got back from the river and "Bluehunters" WCCM Catfish tournament, spent 3days on the river from the Palo Verde dam 6 miles south down river, never saw any dead carp.

Was going to go over and talk to the dude that owns the goldfish farm in Blythe and see what he knows, and even if knows about it, with his 100+ acres of goldfish ponds with millions of goldfish in them I would think It would be of some interest to him. all of his ponds are fed fresh water off of the main canal that runs threw Blythe

Ambassadorhawg
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
The problem started up around Laughlin and moved down the river system. I guess we can call this poplution control? It's been going on for 4 weeks now...

The Angler
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
just got back from the river and "Bluehunters" WCCM Catfish tournament, spent 3days on the river from the Palo Verde dam 6 miles south down river, never saw any dead carp.

Was going to go over and talk to the dude that owns the goldfish farm in Blythe and see what he knows, and even if knows about it, with his 100+ acres of goldfish ponds with millions of goldfish in them I would think It would be of some interest to him. all of his ponds are fed fresh water off of the main canal that runs threw Blythe

Are u talking about that gas station/Burger place that has those 2 ponds in the front and has alot of goldfish tanks in the store with bubble eyed fish?

riverbud55
06-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Are u talking about that gas station/Burger place that has those 2 ponds in the front and has alot of goldfish tanks in the store with bubble eyed fish?

nope, the goldfish farm is around the corner from B&B Bait, farm is just south of 8 ave on C&D blvd/7th st, has about 70 ponds at about a acre a piece,, man in Blythe can't think of a gas station with a burger joint, let alone one that has a pond or tanks inside, thought I've been just about every were in Blythe

BassLady
06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
my little sister is out at havasu right now and she told me that the water is disgusting and that there are dead fish just everywhere. i wonder if shes going wakeboarding :EyePop:

The Angler
06-28-2009, 09:47 AM
nope, the goldfish farm is around the corner from B&B Bait, farm is just south of 8 ave on C&D blvd/7th st, has about 70 ponds at about a acre a piece,, man in Blythe can't think of a gas station with a burger joint, let alone one that has a pond or tanks inside, thought I've been just about every were in Blythe

Yea we needed gas on the way up to laughlin 2 weeks ago and stopped at the place im talking about. the front has 2 good sized ponds the walls are like a foot up off the ground so its a above ground ponds if that makes any sense, There painted bright white and have some fountains in the middle of them. We went inside for snacks but didnt get nothing place was soooo expensive i think they were charging like 4-5 bucks for a small bag of Corn Nutts & 10 for a bag of beef jerky. My girl was like hell no i aint paying for this and walked out lol.