PDA

View Full Version : Goleta 6/11 Grubmeister Dave and Exfactor slayage

exfactor
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Did 3 to 8 PM today with my surf fishin bud Dave. He has been buggin me about how you catch the hali's in the surf. Dave's weapon of choice is the 3" Kalin grub on the carolina rig. He has mastered the cadence for fishing the zone's effectively. I prefer to fish the swimmie, or the jerkbait because I don't have to tie so many knots each time you hang the bottom, and bust off. Well, today Dave asked me to show him some tricks. So the first thing I did was tell him to throw out, and not move the grub for 15 seconds. So he throws out, waits 15 seconds, takes a crank and wham, 20 incher on first cast. I looked at him, and said "I think it's gonna be one of those days". So we work out toward the point, and the water is pretty clean, with some movement. Dave is on his game, and before this day is done, he's gotten 6 flatties on the grub, topped with a 24 incher, that he released. I ended up with a couple fish, and we both got probably a dozen perchie's between us. I'll add the big fish pic when Dave E-mails it to me. A good day on the water.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/IMG_0147.jpg

exfactor
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok pic loaded

Wingnut
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Great day out there Mikey. I've never had enough confidence to fish the "grub", but I heard that they're quite effective. Kudos on the release. :Cool:

greg
06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Good job on da 'butts! I've been trying the Gulp! jerk shad on a lead head but haven't tried the grub fished a C-rig. Next, I'll have to give it a try.

Liteweight
06-14-2009, 05:19 AM
WOW! Looks like a pretty nice day on the water.
I've gotta give my fresh water fly fishing a break and try the Surf. I have and can tie some patterns but I also needed something else to back up the fly. Haven't done much surf fishing since my grandfather passed about 15+ years ago. He taught me (along with the rest of my cousins) about saltwater fishing and we used to do the surf in Ventura/Oxnard often when I was a kid. Never did learn enough about the moon/tides though. Been doing more reading about lite surf fishing (4-12lb) with plastics and other artificials over the last year or so.
I appreciate it when I can learn something more about it though postings like yours.
Thank you very much.
Robert.

flyngby
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Great job on the legal!

That is my next goal to get one from the surf!

Steve

crappiemike
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
good job out in the surf mike.. weather looks good next week?

cm