PDA

View Full Version : Tackle question

Howling Mad Murdock
06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I am driving from San Fran to San Diego for a 1.5 day trip, and I need to find out what kind of setup I should buy for 1.

2, I need to know what type of iron or lures I should purchase as well. We are targetting YT, WSB and rockfish. I also heard that the albies are biting.

Thanks,

Kevin

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
One rod is tough...

We need to know how much you are willing to spend, etc....

GD

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Man thats a long drive. I will take a few set ups with me. One with 15 # line, one with 20 # line and one with 30 # line . Good luck fishing

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Man thats a long drive. I will take a few set ups with me. One with 15 # line, one with 20 # line and one with 30 # line . Good luck fishing

better dust em off patrick...:ROFL:jk bro

ok he didnt respond yet...so my best guess would be, assuming you only are bringing one rod, is a rod rated 20-40ish....and a reel capable of holding enough 25 lb test for whatever is needed.....

GD

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 10:39 PM
better dust em off patrick...:ROFL:jk bro

ok he didnt respond yet...so my best guess would be, assuming you only are bringing one rod, is a rod rated 20-40ish....and a reel capable of holding enough 25 lb test for whatever is needed.....

GD

Yeah No S%$# GD.:LOL::Wink: Yes , if you just bring one rod GD is spot on.:Big Grin:

Howling Mad Murdock
06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I am about to leave San Jose and drive down. I am going to Mahi Tackle (BA Baracus and Col Smith) are taking me at 10AM. I think I will be pulling in at 6 or 7am, so I will be able to check replies on my iPhone. As for price, I think up to 1000. I will be making a few trips this year for tuna, and Col Smith and I are planning a 7+ day trip. I would like a rod/reel combo that I can use for that as well. Also, what types of lures?

Thanks GD. I know you know what to use and buy.

Kevin

Ricky-Ray
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I am about to leave San Jose and drive down. I am going to Mahi Tackle (BA Baracus and Col Smith) are taking me at 10AM. I think I will be pulling in at 6 or 7am, so I will be able to check replies on my iPhone. As for price, I think up to 1000. I will be making a few trips this year for tuna, and Col Smith and I are planning a 7+ day trip. I would like a rod/reel combo that I can use for that as well. Also, what types of lures?

Thanks GD. I know you know what to use and buy.

Kevin

1000 bucks just for one setup...that's plenty of options. On 1.5 day trips I would say your most used setup is going to be something around 25/30# setup so something like an Avet MXJ 2 speed loaded with 65# spectra and a topshot of either 25 or 30 # mono will do paired with a Calstar Graphiter 800M. This should run you around 500-600 bucks or so.

If your fishing a 7 day probably 40# would be your most used outfit. Calstar 700H with an Avet JX 2 speed loaded with 65# spectra and topshot of 40# mono. This combo is versatile enough where you can flyline the bait or even as a yo-yo setup.

As for iron's I'd stick with the basic colors, blue/white, scrambled egg, mint green, black/white. For surface irons something like a Tady 45 or if you want to yo-yo something like a Salas 6xjr.

You might want to hold of on getting the iron's till you get to SD, check with the landing guys and see what color's are hot and get them then.

samgann93
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
stick with daiwa or shimano reels and seeker or calstar rods.

get a 20lb, 30lb, 40lb for bait. and maybe a jig stick if you need one.

Ricky-Ray
06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
1.5 day trips I usually bring:
15# (just in case we fish inshore for the bass)
20#
25# x 2
30# x 2
40#

5-7 day trip I would bring
15# (just in case we fish inshore for the bass)
25#
30# x 2
40# x 2
50/60#
80/100#

The 50/60 and 80/100# rigs I would just have the spectra on there and would put the mono on as we are heading down there after getting suggestions from the crew. If it turns out to be too heavy or too light I can cut it off and respool.

J. Owen
06-12-2009, 04:44 AM
for a beginer set up spinning rel on a ugly stick cant beet the price and cant break the rod 30 pound test your good to go maybe 50 for your rod 50 for your reel and 10 for your line not to much t worry about with that set up you should do fine

Howling Mad Murdock
06-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Ricky, without reading your reply, as it was a bit too late, I actually got a AVET 2speed reel and calstar rod setup. I also took Col Smiths coffee grinder and phoenix rod. Caught my first yellowtail on the spinning rod and reel setup (shimano reel and phoenix rod). Everyone on the boat was telling me no way in hell it would happen. Used a mint green iron, as the tady 45s werent going deep enough. We caught roughly 15-20 yellowtail, lost 5 more and tons of nice salmon grouper. Also used the new setup and it was amazing. Thanks again!

Kevin