PDA

View Full Version : Future CA DFG Officer

Loye
06-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Hello all.I have a question for you knowledgable ones, Im currently a 22 yr old student at Pasadena City college, and getting my AA this Dec. Right now Im looking into enrolling at the CA DFG Game Warden Acadamey up in Northern California. The question I have for all of you is this decent a career ? How is the life,vacation time, etc ? Pros and Cons are welcome. Thanks guys.

BIGRED KILLA
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I would just stand next to Geordy and right tickets to him all day and night lol. That would be a cool job esp when you bust poachers and you are also around the water all day looking at people daily catch and Fishing after work if they did good.

Bigred

Loye
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey Bigred do u really live in San Quintin,Baja MX. If so that is totally sick, its probably one the coolest towns i've been to in Northern Baja. The cracked crab dinner at Cielto Lindo sp?? was amazing. But I've heard there is better down the road...

BIGRED KILLA
06-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Bigred do u really live in San Quintin,Baja MX. If so that is totally sick, its probably one the coolest towns i've been to in Northern Baja. The cracked crab dinner at Cielto Lindo sp?? was amazing. But I've heard there is better down the road...

Lol no i don't live down there i wish best fishing around. That crab dinner is killer and cheap. There is a lot of small hole in the wall restaurants that are killer when we go down there we never go to one restaurant more then once we want to try every one around SQ. Found some nice places thanks to are Capt down there.

Bigred

Troutman65
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I say go for it :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

BIGRED KILLA
06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I say go for it :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

X2 Get er Done

Bigred

Loye
06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Yea even with all the narco BS going on down there, Baja and Sonora are still the places near the concrete jungle of LA you just cant beat , the food,people, and the culture is AMAZING. I live near Highland Park and there are some bomby taco stands here, but nothing can compare to all the mariscos(seafood for you gringos) you find in Baja and Sonora. If you ever need a "guide" to some off the beaten path places down there, where u can catch monster halis, grouper,triggers,and corvina from shore, let me know. My buddy and I might be headed down there for a fishing/spearfishing trip down there this summer.

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I would just stand next to Geordy and right tickets to him all day and night lol. That would be a cool job esp when you bust poachers and you are also around the water all day looking at people daily catch and Fishing after work if they did good.

Bigred

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Good luck with your possible career with DFG brother.....

GD

Slims
06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Good career, but dont be under the impression that you will be around fishing lakes all day, or up in the sierras. You would most likely be in norco/riverside trying to bust hunting poachers and **** jobs like that for a long time.

Also, you will need to take a lot of biology and botony classes along with the forestry. I was looking into DFG in 2000, but there was a hiring freeze back then so I gave up on it.

matt duarte
06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
when i was lookin in to it a while back you can earn up to 5600 a month but you need to take a 30 week training course i defently want to get into it..it would be a awesome job

Skyler
06-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I was a bio major preparing for the warden academy as well. Unfortunately, the chances of you actually getting the job are slim to none in this state. Even when California's budget wasn't a total mess, it was VERY tough to get in. The problem is funding. There are currently less than 300 wardens for the entire state, and the governator isn't gonna be allocating any fresh funds to hire more anytime soon. You may want to think about moving to another state if you are set on being a warden. Somewhere where the hunting and fishing is actually good, lol.

Skyler
06-11-2009, 09:16 PM
around the water all day looking at people daily catch and Fishing after work if they did good.

Bigred

The job isn't all about fishing. If you aren't knowlegable in hunting regs and environmental crimes too, you won't last thru the winter, lol. Just wait 'till you have to spend a whole high desert hunting season sweating on top of red mountain following chukar hunters, he he he. You'll realize that it isn't all smiles and sunshine. There's a lot of hard work involved too.

Fish Dog
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
it's a great carrier for a young single guy, but, be aware, you'll never get rich, or even comfortable. Before you decide you need to read this...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2172431/California-Fish-and-Game-Warden-Expose

If you can accept this then go for it...

Loye
06-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I was a bio major preparing for the warden academy as well. Unfortunately, the chances of you actually getting the job are slim to none in this state. Even when California's budget wasn't a total mess, it was VERY tough to get in. The problem is funding. There are currently less than 300 wardens for the entire state, and the governator isn't gonna be allocating any fresh funds to hire more anytime soon. You may want to think about moving to another state if you are set on being a warden. Somewhere where the hunting and fishing is actually good, lol.

Not to sound ignorant or anything,the website posted above discusses how the interest in being a fish and game warden has become low and the amount of older officers retiring now is high. Especially in the next 2-5 years.

old pudd fisher
06-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Go for it for sure if you can get in. I worked for the state for 36 years and have a great retierment now at only 59. The budget is bad now but will get better. I recommended it, get that job and you will be set up.....Good luck.

Loye
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Go for it for sure if you can get in. I worked for the state for 36 years and have a great retierment now at only 59. The budget is bad now but will get better. I recommended it, get that job and you will be set up.....Good luck.

Old Pudd fisher u worked for CA DFG if Im correct ?

old pudd fisher
06-12-2009, 01:25 AM
No not for the CA DFG But for the CA State in a job category.

Skyler
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Not to sound ignorant or anything,the website posted above discusses how the interest in being a fish and game warden has become low and the amount of older officers retiring now is high. Especially in the next 2-5 years.

When they say "interest is low," they mean two hundred people are applying for ten posititions, instead of 1000 like it used to be, lol. Either, way, I'd say you'd be far better off as a warden in Oregon or Arizona.

rusty6
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
i'm pretty sure to be a warden, you will also need to obtain a BS and not just an AA which is why a lot of other law enforcement jobs seem much more appealing to people. i actually had a friend in the dorms last year getting his BS in forestry looking to go into the DFG.

sansou
06-12-2009, 09:20 AM
What about U.S. Fish & Wildlife? I bet the pay is a little better.

Either way, you can't go wrong getting a "serious" 4 year degree from a "serious" school. Associate degrees just don't cut the mustard these days for anything.

Good luck to everyone trying to become a Game Warden. We need more!

Dalizzy07
06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
i thought about applying as well, its at Butte College am i correct?

troutdog
06-12-2009, 09:34 AM
My name is Jason Kraus, My badge number is 533, my call sign is 5114, I am the local Santa Barbara Warden. Local DFG office number is 805 568-1231.
If you want to talk to me personally, then feel free to contact me via private reply and I'll give you my cell phone number.

I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, have been an avid fisherman for my entire life and feel that is is literally worth risking my life, I put on a bullet proof vest everyday, to protect the State's resources.

This is post I quoted from the "Game Warden" who made a brief appearance on FNN back in May of 2008, give him a call or try a PM and maybe he can help you out somehow....good luck in your pursuit of your desired career.

TD

fish4keep
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Best of luck to both of you (loye and skyler) and any one else who's trying to get into the DFG, you guys/gals will need it. Like what skyler said, it's very very tough to get in. I've talked to a Sgt a while back and he told me that some applicant who went and pass the DFG academy, don't even have a position to go to. Unlike a local PD who put you through the academy and a guarantee position once you're done.

Although a BS is better, the requirement is only an AA. That's more than most local law enforcement who just requires a HS diploma.

Vulture
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Its not all that great. I fish with an retired DFG dude. They are short handed under paid and benefits don't offer much. Its a job you really really want to do. If you think your going to be working your favorite lake or hunting spot and really crush poachers think again. If its for the money or excitement then look somewhere else. This is what he told me and he is glad he is out of the business. Just my 2 cents. Don'T get me wrong we really need more wardens but the real job description of a DFG warden is not written on the hiring brochure. Talk to several wardens and ask for the real truth. Ask about pay, benefits, court, travel expenses, vacation time, retirement (401K), medical insurance ask how much time is spent in the field and how much time is spent in the office doing projects or paper work. These are real factors to consider.
The real question would ask a warden how soon would he want to retire. If they say the sooner the better then he is not happy with his job. If they reply never or he would do this job for free then he is a happy camper, then a occupation with DFG is perfect for you.
Hope this helps. I didn't mean to ramble on but you should know what your getting yourself into before investing all your time and money.

sb fishing
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Here's my two cent being in law enforcement...

#1 - 3 % at 50 retierment

# 2 - always employed, always need law enf.

# 3 - you test and pass = Ca. will pay for your academy.

# 4 - Once off probation (12 - 18 mnth) you could work anywhere in Ca.

# 5 - Once your done w/ the acadmemy you will have a Federal POST cert = could look into alot of Diffrent Federal jobs = $$$

There's lot of beny's w/ law enforment.

pm me if you need help

DEADROOTS
06-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I was told by a DFG officer that a bachelors in biology is necessary.

Skyler
06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I was told by a DFG officer that a bachelors in biology is necessary.

Nope. The requirment is only an associates degree in biologigal science or criminal justice/police science. At least that's what it says on the website.

jerryG
06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Here are a few facts to consider before becoming a DFG... Prepare to be qualified to meet the higher requirements then other law enforcement agencies. Also you can plan being paid less than other law enforcement officers for a job that is an impossible job that will consume most of your time. Check out the link for details.

http://livinginelkgrove.com/californiawarden/InTheNews2.pdf

JerryG

GeordyBass
06-13-2009, 11:41 PM
That crab dinner is killer and cheap.

The Redhead wasn't really talking about food....he was talking about TJ....lol....Hey redho,,,bob is waiting for his "appointment" this evening.....lol....

GeordyBass
06-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I was thinking of wanting to be in the DFG as well, but seems that it isn't just right for me anymore! I'll just stick to going to a Culinary Arts school....lol....Ignorance may have got me, because I thought it would be not an easy job,but an exciting career and It would be something I'd enjoy. Anyhow,good luck to both of you in getting in the field!

Darius
06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Well for me, i plan on going into law enforcement also. I had a opportunity to speak to a DFG warden at Lincoln Park Lake here in CA. He was a very cool guy, i spoke with him for about 15 mins got his business card etc, he said he "loved the job," he was a lateral, thus he was police before and went into DFG for many reasons. One was, more of a enjoyable career and more "free.":LOL: So most important do what you wish is what i got of the job.