PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Depths

TroutChaser
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll start by saying, Ive learned catching fish in the ocean is much easier than targetting fish in the ocean. Makes FW seem easy..
Will trade Striper info for Salt info :lol: JK

As some of you already know, I recently relocated to Oxnard and have been taking my 15 aluminum boat out of Channel islands harbor to fish locally. So far we got into some squid action about 5 miles offshore in 500 feet depths, and a whole bunch of Dabs in 60-90 feet of water along the Hueneme Flatts area. Though weve been lucky Id like to increase my odds on getting into some better quality fish with some basic (this info is basic to many of you) info.

What fish live where?
Hali's go very shallow, but how deep?
How deep do the Sand Bass hang out at?
I know Rockfish are deeper, but about how deep ?
How can I get away from all the Dabs? I wanted to drift for butts and the Dabs made it impossible (Note= the only bait besides plastics and hardbaits I have is cut squid (no baittank yet), this could be the problem as the Dabs seem to love the stuff?)

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks again,
CHASER

xahx
06-23-2007, 10:04 PM
"I'll start by saying, Ive learned catching fish in the ocean (Lakes?) is much easier than targetting fish in the ocean. Makes FW seem easy.." your first statement i believe you meant to say freshwater or lake!

but tahts cool.

Im not the fishing pro:

Rockfish are bottom feeders. They chill in the rocks ;) THey eat anything form squid, chovies, dines, and even plastic jigs

best bet is to buy a sportfishing atlas with all the prime fishing locations at your local boating store, it gives all of so cal area.

Fish live in the ocean :lol: :lol: what fish are you targeting?

there are a nice variety at catalina and san clemente, then again if tahts too far dana point and more south is good too!

Sounds like you need some tech stuff like GPS and fish finder !