PDA

View Full Version : harbor fish?

socalfish
06-11-2009, 04:20 PM
going to be heading down to the harbor and looking for some help. what kind of jigs would you guys recomend. and for line and sinker what size hook and weight would you recomend using. i have 1/0 and 2/0 hooks that i use on boats would that be to much? 1 last thing jig head color brand and weight? thanks guys!

Nessie Hunter
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
A lot depends on WHICH harbor your fishing... I assume Shore??

Tide; Best is incoming, then Outgoing (prime is to fish Last half of Incoming, take a lunch break on slack tide. Then first half of outgoing..
The Bay fish feed more during water movement...

Double drop shot rig.. Leadhead at bottom, drop shot higher up..
Drop Shot...
Texas rig (sliding sinker)
Carolina rig.

1/0 & 2/0 are big... But anything you want to catch will take them..
Try freshwater Bass terminal tackle.. About right for Bays..

1/4 oz to 3/8 oz is plenty (for any of the above rigs)...

I dont fish over 6# (Cuda) either.. But some go much higher in line size???
I started out heavier, but have found that (and 4#) is right for me????

Baits???? WOW, read some reports Way to many that work to even start...
Almost anything, try it all!!!! Every day & location is different..

Know the size and Restricted fish regulations BEFORE you go...
C&R all bay bass, PLEASE!!!

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Id bring long bass trix minnows. Small to med size flukes and drop shot them.

G-Mart
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm definitly a fan of the Drop Shot. Yesterday after work was the firs time I ever tried it. I fish the Breakwater pretty regularly in Santa Barbarba. All of the fish that I have caught have been from the side the waves break on. I'v caught Several Halibut on Rapalas,Swimbaits,Krocs, Kastmasters Etc. I always turn around and throw a few casts on the Harbor side of the Breakwater but I've never even gotten so much as a bite. I read a thread yesterday on Harbor fishing with the Drop shot and thought that I would give it a try. I used a 3" Big Hammer Sea Wolf with a 1/2 oz. Wt. Tossed it out and about mid retrieve I got hit. I reeled in a 15" halibut. I know this is nothing to brag about but after casting in that same spot for over three years now and not even getting a bite - a Hali on the first cast with a Drop Shot is pretty Impressive. I kept getting hit after that but I couldn't stick any of them. I'll be heading to the Tackle shop to refine my Drop Shot gear today...

socalfish
06-14-2009, 08:32 AM
thanks guys very helpful!