PDA

View Full Version : Which flatty is which?

Puropuro
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have any foolproof ways to tell the difference between the various flat fish one can pull out of SoCal saltwater.

For example, sand dab vs. juvi butt vs turbot....how do ya know?

Appreciate any tips.

fish4keep
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
For me it's easy. Anything under 22.5" I throw back.....

Gossamer
06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
For me it's easy. Anything under 22.5" I throw back.....

:Dead Horse::ROFL:

J. Owen
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Hold in like a LMB...if your finger gets shredded...its a halibut...

jk!! do NOT do that!!!!!

GD

Puropuro
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Sorry guys, I did perform a search but couldn't really find an answer. All the online images all look the same too. I hear sand dabs are good eating, so I'd like to legally keep some rather than throw it back if it's smaller than a halibut.

Cangler
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
If you can see thro it ... it's a sand dab !

murrieta angler
06-11-2009, 05:34 PM
When you catch at least a dozen flatties, it's pretty safe to say it's a sand dab.....unless your message board name is Wingnut...lol

Evilone
06-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have any foolproof ways to tell the difference between the various flat fish one can pull out of SoCal saltwater.

For example, sand dab vs. juvi butt vs turbot....how do ya know?

Appreciate any tips.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont8.asp
Generally speaking,a Halibut has a square or flat end of the tail where as any flounder or dab has a rounded end. the link above gets more tech. All have teeth, but the California Halibuts are very prominent ,and sharp

tacklejunkie
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
The halibut I caught all mostly had a big black or white camouflage spot or spots on them somewhere. The only sand dab I ever caught was all one color and pretty small. It had a much smaller mouth than a hali of the same size.

A hali of the same size dab I caught could have eaten a LC. Not the dab..

Skyler
06-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Ditto what Nessie said. If the tail is round, it's not a halibut.

Evilone
06-11-2009, 07:07 PM
The halibut I caught all mostly had a big black or white camouflage spot or spots on them somewhere. The only sand dab I ever caught was all one color and pretty small. It had a much smaller mouth than a hali of the same size.

A hali of the same size dab I caught could have eaten a LC. Not the dab..

All I can say to that is " PPppffffffffffffftttttttt ". Have had many a dab impale themselves on a 5/0 hook with 2 squid or a lg jighead w/6/0 hook and squid in the deepwater at the vees

Fish Dog
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Halibut have a pronounced "hump" or "arch" in their lateral line right next to their pectoral fin. All other flatfish around here have a fairly straight lateral line.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont8.asp

kingjester13
06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Hold in like a LMB...if your finger gets shredded...its a halibut...

jk!! do NOT do that!!!!!

GD

1 time and he'll never want check again...LOL

KJ13

Nessie Hunter
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Easiest And best way for me is:

Halibut have sharp teeth and a larger mouth, no mistakes there (or you bleed a lot).....

Turbot have very small mouth (would be hard to get a thumb in it) and a true Diamond shape to body...

Dabs, small (6" to 12") and semi transparent, and normally caught deep (200+ ft)....

Puropuro
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys, so.....so far:
Lateral Line
Teeth
Tail
Transparency
Overall shape

This is very helpful, thank you.