PDA

View Full Version : who's a fly flicker?

smokinflies
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
don't see many reports about anglers catching on the fly.

how many here actually practice the fine art of flyfishing, how often, and for how many yrs?

as for me, picked up a rod 15 months ago, and now i don't using any else.

NICKYMOUSE8
06-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Well I can say I learned from a master fly caster ''LARRY''from legg I have been doing the fly thing only for six years now. I showed you ''smokinflies'' all the basics a beginner needs to know your doing great now from the first time I let you cast my fly rod your doing much better now and you finally got a reel with drag I can say with confidence you are well on your way.but, always remember there is no end of the road when it comes to fly fishing you'll always have something new to learn all the time.:Envious:

Skyler
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
You see plenty of fly reports from me, lol. Lately I've been on the fly about once or twice a week. Been throwing loops since I was about 13. I'm 29 now.

smokinflies
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Well I can say I learned from a master fly caster ''LARRY''from legg I have been doing the fly thing only for six years now. I showed you ''smokinflies'' all the basics a beginner needs to know your doing great now from the first time I let you cast my fly rod your doing much better now and you finally got a reel with drag I can say with confidence you are well on your way.but, always remember there is no end of the road when it comes to fly fishing you'll always have something new to learn all the time.:Envious:

yup, your the bastard that got me addicted the flies, and now i can't stop smokin' them. thanks alot primo.

thanks for noticing my progression, but know i got and long way to go to even consider being a decent flyfisher, but my increasing passion and fascination of fly fishing, will keep me wanting to progress.

i cant forget about larry too. he's a great friend to be willing to take time out and teach me how to fly too. thanks larry.

WARRIORMIKE
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
You see plenty of fly reports from me, lol. Lately I've been on the fly about once or twice a week. Been throwing loops since I was about 13. I'm 29 now.

yea but he said the "fine art of flyfishing" :ROFL:

Flying
06-12-2009, 03:57 AM
I've been butchering the fine art of flyfishing and tying for about 15 years now. I think of myself as more of a tuber than flier. I'm on Perris all year long. Don't ask me about streams or flies that actually fly as I don't know crap about land fishing :LOL:

I'll take a Bass over a trout any day but I still thank God for that little gill that save the day. :ROFL:

If I were closer to the ocean I'd be getting salty.

Nessie Hunter
06-12-2009, 07:04 AM
I am getting back into it "off & on" for the last season or so..
Not often, but wanting more..
Did some when I was in early teens..

Im still cracking the whip, and flinging flys into toast!! :ROFL:

tacklejunkie
06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm not an "AVID" fly fisherman to where all I take is a fly rod.
But I do know there is a time and place for a flyrod in anyones' arsenal that has the patience to use one.

I still use spinning and baitcasting gear regularly, but when going for trout, I prefer the fly, for sure. Trout are too easy. Bass on the fly are tons of fun but kinda tricky and require even more patience. If I'm going bass fishing, I'm probably not gonna bring my flyrod unless I'm on to a pattern and know I can make it happen. I try every once in a while for bass on the fly but I'm not too good at it.

hughpam
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I love fly fishing. Unfortunately I live in So Cal, and have two jobs. So, my actual water time is little. I live in a community where there is a lake, so I get time to throw a clowser minnow time and again. I get a few days in the Sierras each year, and that is coming up soon. I'll let you know.

rusty6
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
i'm a fly fisherman as well...about 4 years now. i haven't done it in a while because my fly rod had an unfortunate accident and i haven't had the time to shop around for a new one.

Skyler
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
yea but he said the "fine art of flyfishing" :ROFL:

Yeah, I consider my style more of a "combat fly fishing" he he he. If you've ever seen me in full camo, lying on my belly behind a rock, dapping an undercut with a wet fly, you'd understand, lol.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I became addicted about 4 yrs ago.i bought my first setup ,at the pomona fairgrounds, when they had a fishing ,and hunting expo.it was a powell 9ft 3wt ,with a switch back reel. It is still my favoite setup ,at the pudd for pan fish ,and trout.it slays. I now own a 5wt,8 wt ,and 10wt. Ive still never been, in a stream ,or river. There is nothing like fighting a fish ,on a fly rod. I still use spinning ,and conventional, but my fly rods are always along.they are my passion.

Liteweight
06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Picked up the sport in '68, started tying in '69-'70. Very rarely use my spinning tackle for trout. Last time I can remember was about 12+ years ago. When I fish the Sierra's, I only use fly gear (C & R). I usually fish "the goon" with standard Bass gear but I will take a Fly rod with me when I go.
I own 1 (custom) bamboo rod and about 12-15 other rods (a couple which need to be wrapped) from a 2-weight to a 12-weight (mostly rods from 2-8 weight, only two 10-weights and one 12-weight). I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ reels (mostly Abels) to go with all the rods.
Just registered on this site about a month ago, so I haven't had a chance to post any reports yet. My next scheduled trip is up to Hat Creek in No. Cal. in two weeks (been kind of an annual thing for the last 6 years). Not sure if the trip is still on though (suffering from a back injury which limits drive time).
Robert.

trout worm
06-12-2009, 03:16 PM
i'm fly... been on the fly for about 6 yrs.... even gave up the spinning gear except for the kids rigs....

just have more fun flyfishing. that's just one guys point of view.

... it's not all about catching, it's about being outdoors...

Cangler
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Ive done a lot of wet fly fishing ..

In England there is a close season from Mar 15th to June 15th
for freshwater fish apart from trout and grayling

txcurry
06-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I taught myself to Fly fish when I was 13 in '63. In '80 I got real serious and started tying everything I used and started fly fishing for bass and other warm water species as well as trout. I had my favorite spots in SoCal and then later around the Los Padres and on the Central Coast when we moved further north to Santa Maria. I used to fish the Sierras every year, mostly Hot Creek and The Owens. Did Alaska, that was a lot of fun.
Now I mostly fly fish on one of my ponds here in TX for Bass, don't have much time for any thing else and it is convenient.