PDA

View Full Version : The LURKERS!!!!

idratherbfishin
06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I have been a member for a couple of years now and altho I havent posted a whole lot, I have followed this site pretty closely. I dont get to fish near as much as I would like and no where near as much as the regulars that frequent this site. I always enjoy the reports I read and appreicate the people who contribute them. There is an interesting mix of people and the fish they hunt for. You've got your Bass, Trout, Cats, Stripers, and so on, and the people who fish for them. We are the Members of this site. We have chosen to take the time to share our own experiences with others. We have chosen to obey the laws that protect our fish and the enviroment. Then, we have the lurkers. The evil, unseen, locusts of the fishing world. Demons, whos only goal in life is to steal our secrets, our favorite spots, and our fish. Rude people, who dont have fishing ethics or even a license to fish. People who take more than their fair share and dont give a damn about ecology or enviroment. RIGHT? God knows if you say too much, ecological holocaust is sure to follow. Its down right scary. Maybe this should be a private site that you have to pay to be a member of. Maybe that would keep the lurkers at bay and protect US! I would like to hear other opinions on this subject.

That Dang Guy
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
You just have to be careful about what you post. I know a few people that won't post until later down the road. I love reading reports too, but you don't have to go into extremely great detail.

Others post only blacked out photos or just photos. Those really aren't reports and should belong in the photo section. I'm not saying I don't enjoy those either, because I do. =p

WARRIORMIKE
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe lurkers are scared to write a post? Maybe they feel that there info or outing wasnt worth sharing? Maaaaaaaaaaaaybeeee just maybe just come to the board to check out the new sponsors?? In all reality its not that big of a deal!!!:Rolls Eyes:

old pudd fisher
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Yes I agree with you as far as the lurkers go,I used to be one to and now I'am a proud member of the FNN and like to share with others if I can and have become friends with some cool people. I think the PM message takes care of the lurkes just fine.Thanks for the thought,I sure don't want to pay for this fine site.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-10-2009, 11:21 PM
I have been a member for a couple of years now and altho I havent posted a whole lot, I have followed this site pretty closely. I dont get to fish near as much as I would like and no where near as much as the regulars that frequent this site. I always enjoy the reports I read and appreicate the people who contribute them. There is an interesting mix of people and the fish they hunt for. You've got your Bass, Trout, Cats, Stripers, and so on, and the people who fish for them. We are the Members of this site. We have chosen to take the time to share our own experiences with others. We have chosen to obey the laws that protect our fish and the enviroment. Then, we have the lurkers. The evil, unseen, locusts of the fishing world. Demons, whos only goal in life is to steal our secrets, our favorite spots, and our fish. Rude people, who dont have fishing ethics or even a license to fish. People who take more than their fair share and dont give a damn about ecology or enviroment. RIGHT? God knows if you say too much, ecological holocaust is sure to follow. Its down right scary. Maybe this should be a private site that you have to pay to be a member of. Maybe that would keep the lurkers at bay and protect US! I would like to hear other opinions on this subject.that's all in well, but you have pm's and such to deal with lurkers and as far as your rant goes i hear you say god in there some where if you read the word he provides for all. fish have been here for years in our lakes and ocean to think that a handfull of lurkers could take all the fish is impossible. maybe mess the place up with litter but not over fish a place..maybe a small lake or pond but not big lakes like perris, dvl, or etc...we are not fisherman by standards we are anglers. there is a big difference, this is the name the dfg gives us. we are recreation anglers that obide these laws setfourth by dfg..yeah people don't fish with lic. big deal.other guys get pissy i don't. because when all else fails i go home kiss the old lady and call it a day..

fatherof5
06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
It would seem to me that most, if not all people who access this site, whether they post frequently or not, would fall into the have a license and keep a place clean category. I've gone to a team 57 event, everyone there was great, but I've also fished at some places, and met some good people who never heard of FNN or Team 57. I think we lead by example. I enjoy fishing fresh and salt, and have seen first hand the degradation of So. Cal waters over the last 50 years. I get pissed off finding trash all over my favorite fishing spots, but I teach my kids to leave a place cleaner than it was when we got there. The land and the water seem sacred to me, and as long as there are people who enjoy fishing, let them lurk. I have appreciated the many people who have offered up some specifics on their spots through PMs. This site is a great resource, and if someone doesn't want to post the exact GPS locations of where they caught thier fish, fine. I do like to know HOW they did it though. Just my 2 cents....

HANG'IN ONE
06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Maybe lurkers are scared to write a post? Maybe they feel that there info or outing wasnt worth sharing? Maaaaaaaaaaaaybeeee just maybe just come to the board to check out the new sponsors?? In all reality its not that big of a deal!!!:Rolls Eyes:

Hey Mike TYPICAL DODGER FAN!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

idratherbfishin
06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
that's all in well, but you have pm's and such to deal with lurkers and as far as your rant goes i hear you say god in there some where if you read the word he provides for all. fish have been here for years in our lakes and ocean to think that a handfull of lurkers could take all the fish is impossible. maybe mess the place up with litter but not over fish a place..maybe a small lake or pond but not big lakes like perris, dvl, or etc...we are not fisherman by standards we are anglers. there is a big difference, this is the name the dfg gives us. we are recreation anglers that obide these laws setfourth by dfg..yeah people don't fish with lic. big deal.other guys get pissy i don't. because when all else fails i go home kiss the old lady and call it a day..

Yeah, I did go a little off the deep end with my rant. Let that be a lesson to all...dont drink and post.:)

Skyler
06-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I did go a little off the deep end with my rant. Let that be a lesson to all...dont drink and post.:)

Ha ha. PUI (posting under the influence) is never a good idea, lol. I'd say most of the arguments I've gotten into on this site happened after a PUI episode, lol. As for the lurkers, just keep your exact spots secret, and you are good. Just because they know the striper are hitting rattletraps at the wood, doesn't mean they know exactly how and where to fish them. Now creeks are another animal altogether. Guard your small creeks with your life, bro.

fish4keep
06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
We have chosen to take the time to share our own experiences with others. We have chosen to obey the laws that protect our fish and the enviroment. Then, we have the lurkers. The evil, unseen, locusts of the fishing world. Demons, whos only goal in life is to steal our secrets, our favorite spots, and our fish. Rude people, who dont have fishing ethics or even a license to fish. People who take more than their fair share and dont give a damn about ecology or enviroment. RIGHT?

W R O N G .....

This is a public forum. When you "choose" to post on here, how can they (lurkers) steal your secret, your favorite spots, and, most of all, your fish????? LOL The poster openly and willingly post those info, if any. No one is there to point a gun to his/her head and tell them to put it in their report. Also just being an active fnn member don't make anyone righteous or above others that isn't an active member. There are many many other who isn't a member but "lurks" that are good/great fishermen/people.

sansou
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
It's not the lurkers that bugs me. It's the people that come here, tell everyone that FNN is horrible & publicly announce they are leaving FNN, then quietly proceed to continue logging on the network.

:ROFL:

WARRIORMIKE
06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Mike TYPICAL DODGER FAN!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

So when are you going to let me spank you in some fishing??? :Smack:

City Dad
06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
It's not the lurkers that bugs me. It's the people that come here, tell everyone that FNN is horrible & publicly announce they are leaving FNN, then quietly proceed to continue logging on the network.

SANSOU, YOUR POST IS THE LAST STRAW. I AM OUTTA HERE!!!

...anyone who knows where the squawfish are biting please pm.

TheFishcatcher
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
It would seem to me that most, if not all people who access this site, whether they post frequently or not, would fall into the have a license and keep a place clean category. I've gone to a team 57 event, everyone there was great, but I've also fished at some places, and met some good people who never heard of FNN or Team 57. I think we lead by example. I enjoy fishing fresh and salt, and have seen first hand the degradation of So. Cal waters over the last 50 years. I get pissed off finding trash all over my favorite fishing spots, but I teach my kids to leave a place cleaner than it was when we got there. The land and the water seem sacred to me, and as long as there are people who enjoy fishing, let them lurk. I have appreciated the many people who have offered up some specifics on their spots through PMs. This site is a great resource, and if someone doesn't want to post the exact GPS locations of where they caught thier fish, fine. I do like to know HOW they did it though. Just my 2 cents....

Well said brother.

smokinflies
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
... We have chosen to take the time to share our own experiences with others...

you call it sharing, i call it bragging.

as for the lurkers issue...
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq100/flyfishingfool/IvyMike2.jpg

sansou
06-11-2009, 11:22 AM
you call it sharing, i call it bragging.

as for the lurkers issue...

Posting a report = bragging according to you?

Just curious....

DarkShadow
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
...anyone who knows where the squawfish are biting please pm.

PM sent

Don't let anybody else know what I just sent you though.

City Dad
06-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Just curious....

Sansou, there is a finite amount of joy in the world and when another person experiences some it means there is less for me!!!

M'kay now I am signing off forever!!!

and, oh, P.S.: there a lot of folks here who's posts aren't interesting in the least. Could all of you puh-leeze add something worth reading if you really must add anything at all. I would really appreciate it!

now, GOOD BYE FOREVER... AND DON'T TRY TO STOP ME!!!

PHISHnutS
06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
No off-fence to anyone but don't listen to anything anyone here posts, especially anyone with the following in their FNN name:

Bass
Any numbers at all
Fish (even if they use the PH to make the F sound, kinda lame)
Dude
or any name that ends in Y

......again, no dissing your respect, it had to be said.

sansou
06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Why you gotta dis' Lil'PhishyBassDude420Leg-of-Men ? That dude can ninja and photoshop like no ones bizness!

CityDad: This is all going down in your permanent record young man. One demerit for you.

troutdog
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Just curious....

Ditto ....posting a report is now considered bragging? :Confused:

So what is it when one of your only reports is a pic of a bass with a distorted background to hide the location? :LOL:

TD

smokinflies
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Just curious....

before i get in too deep,

many post location, conditions, method used, results (basic report info). then we posts what we were able to accomplish.

bragging was the wrong choice of word, it's more like showing off our talents. i think everyone likes to show off they're talents. i know i do. that's why we take pics of our catches, to show what we can do with rod in hand.

another reason why many anglers post is to receive positive feedback. i know we all enjoy receiving positive feedback, who doesn't. it give us that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

troutdog
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
before i get in too deep,

many post location, conditions, method used, results (basic report info). then we posts what we were able to accomplish.

bragging was the wrong choice of word, it's more like showing off our talents. i think everyone likes to show off they're talents. i know i do. that's why we take pics of our catches, to show what we can do with rod in hand.

another reason why many anglers post is to receive positive feedback. i know we all enjoy receiving positive feedback, who doesn't. it give us that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

Fair enough...thanks for clarifying :Thumbs Up:

TD

DarkShadow
06-11-2009, 12:43 PM
"You got to be careful who you give your spots to. You can only run with one pack of wolves.". -- Kevin Van Aristotle

smokinflies
06-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Ditto ....posting a report is now considered bragging? :Confused:

So what is it when one of your only reports is a pic of a bass with a distorted background to hide the location? :LOL:

TD

lol. damn that awhile back.

i think i was making a point when i posted that catch, and some bragging was involved.

i should post more reports.

i'll try getting one in tonight, to get the "troll" off my back. lol

J. Owen
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
if you dont like people seeing what your using for bait dont have it in the picture.
if you dont want people seeing your spots take your picture in the oposite direction.
if someone asks and you dont want to tell keep it veig.
but mind you you could tell someone exactly what you are useing and if they have no experince they wont catch anything i really dont think it is that big of a deal as long as money is not on the line everyone should be able to catch fish that is the point of this team.
but i do agree if you dont share with other you should not be shared with in return.
pm fisherman 57 to acess the private forums away from the looky loos

so i think evryone needs help
i never had anyone help me i had to figure it out on my own and its a ***** i couldnt be pointed in the right direction fishing for 3 years and just now am i defining my skills for consistancy
the only help i had was fro0m the taklewarehouse staff and what i saw on tv:ROFL::ROFL:

Crawler
06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
So..... Ive been here for about four years now. I dont have eleventybillion posts......

Am I qualified for lurker status? :ROFL:

PHISHnutS
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
So..... Ive been here for about four years now. I dont have eleventybillion posts......

Yes, and you even get your own smiley, congrats http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/PHISHnutS/lurk.gif

fishfinder
06-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Been here for years, seen this post many time already. Good times:LOL:
Learned some good tips and tricks here, hope i passed some on too.

J. Owen
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM

hahaha na just my comment not to you just in general:Cool:

smalweld
06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I have been a member for a number of years. I do not post on areas that I fish unless it's a well known area. I think the last post that I started was when I went with Trout Only on a guide trip at Castaic last year. However I do fish the local creeks and REFUSE to post on how I did or what fly I caught the 6 inch trout on. Its not that I don't want to share the location with EVERYONE, its just I want it to stay pristine and not like the West Fork of the San Gabriel River or Lytle Creek on a summer weekend. Seriously if anyone wants to either learn or go flyfishing with me, just PM me. I can't take anyone for the next two months due to my son being in town from Colorado but I am always ready and willing to take someone with me to show them what creeking is like providing that they do not share it on the internet on what creek or where we went.

Sean

fatherof5
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree with you smalweld. I remember when even the lower west fork of the SG WAS pristine. We had a field trip up to the parking lot at the bridge where the west fork comes in one year as part of our environmental service project. Three classes of 12 year olds brought out over 60 big (33 gallon) trash bags. When I went back less than two months later, pretty much the same mess. It was sickening. I still love fishing the local streams though...

Stormcrow
06-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Hmmm...I honestly think that some people underestimate the number or Lurkers and the power of information media such as the internet. I can tell you what I have seen:

(Example)
1. Someone makes a very well done post about a pig or two they caught at say...Puddingstone.
2. The report includes nice pictures and a well written article, and even water conditions, bait and technique
3. To finish a masterpiece, the author mentions the cove or location where said fish was caught.
4. The next day, someone snaps a photo of 25 people, NONE of them active FNN members, hammering the exact same spot. The picture shows so many people it looks like SARL on opening day.

Moral of the story: Dont underestimate the number of people reading these reports. They only want to take from you. Sure, write a nice report that is entertainint to read but protect your spot and share via P.M. with only those members who are active and you trust. I get P.M.s all the time about ninja spots from guys with 3 or 4 posts. hahaha Ya, let me just text you directions! I DONT THINK SO!!!

So thats just my 2 cents on the subject. Something to keep in mind.

idratherbfishin
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I appreciate everybodys thoughts and comments on this subject. I was a little hammered when I posted so I know I was a "bit" overly dramatic. I really love this site, its members, and what it has to offer. Maybe this will inspire some of those lurkers to join us. Until next time, peace out.

LBSea
06-12-2009, 10:01 AM
This is exactly why I will not post a fishing report on this site. Now I will contribute information about rigging, fishing techniques, equipment and classified adds but that is it. Just take a look and any good report and see how many hundreds of hits that report has gotten. I just don't need or want that kind of attention and don't want that many people knowing anything about what or where I am catching my fish, no offense meant! Sometimes I think the only reason people are posting their reports is for the glory and bragging rights and really has very little to do with helping others. I myself can do without anybody’s praise or attention, I know I kick *** and that is good enough for me!!!!!

To conclude with my point, look at Wingnuts last Halibut report in the Bay Section. It has 3,091 views and counting, NO THANKS!

Tight Lines at an undisclosed place of your choice.

LEAD DEVIL
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
well said people.after a couple of post about elsinore i have seen a big jump in people,but the city and fishing reports are also encouraging people.i love reading reports on here and hope one day to fix my imaging sotware at home and actually show off some fish.pm's are a good idea also and being carefull not to be too specific on a general post.good luck on summer cats!. THE DEV.

Troutman65
06-13-2009, 06:23 AM
One_Leg is a lurker now

fishfinder
06-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Been here for years, seen this post many time already. Good times:LOL:
Learned some good tips and tricks here, hope i passed some on too.

but i would like to be members only could view. its free to sign up, i like the other website that i recently joined. members only.
but this one has been really great reading. i can remember when there was about 400-500 members, and about 50 were posting on freshwater. or less. not as much info daily as there is now.
I don't see this one ever going members only, cause there are to many sponsers involved now.
I was just having the discussion on how some of my favorite fishing spots have got a lot less fish in them in the last couple years since this website has taken off. I thnk it is time to start releasing more stripers back into the lake. i know some say they are a nusance, but they are my favorite fish to catch. maybe it's time to adopt kern counties 18", 2 fish limit.
just my thoughts..........:LOL:

saintarv
06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
one_leg is a lurker now

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nessie Hunter
06-14-2009, 07:37 AM
One_Leg is a lurker now

But it takes him Twice as long to get to your Spot & poach!!!

Sorry Alan, couldnt resist... :Embarrassed:

Catrack77
06-14-2009, 08:22 AM
I have made the mista

Alexi
06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Hmmm...I honestly think that some people underestimate the number or Lurkers and the power of information media such as the internet. I can tell you what I have seen:

(Example)
1. Someone makes a very well done post about a pig or two they caught at say...Puddingstone.
2. The report includes nice pictures and a well written article, and even water conditions, bait and technique
3. To finish a masterpiece, the author mentions the cove or location where said fish was caught.
4. The next day, someone snaps a photo of 25 people, NONE of them active FNN members, hammering the exact same spot. The picture shows so many people it looks like SARL on opening day.

Moral of the story: Dont underestimate the number of people reading these reports. They only want to take from you. Sure, write a nice report that is entertainint to read but protect your spot and share via P.M. with only those members who are active and you trust. I get P.M.s all the time about ninja spots from guys with 3 or 4 posts. hahaha Ya, let me just text you directions! I DONT THINK SO!!!

So thats just my 2 cents on the subject. Something to keep in mind.

I am new to this site and I can tell you that what you just said is absolutely true. Nothing like fishing a spot on a Thursday, posting a pic or 2 of a couple decent Bass AND the lure/bait I used, and next thing I know, 6am, same spot, next day, elbow to elbow on the water, guys using THE SAME LURES i used the previous day, and being the great sportsmans they were told me to leave that this was THEIR spot. ?????? I had not seen anyone at that particular spot on the water for almost 2 whole dam years! But just happens that the next day after I posted my report 15 anglers were on my spot of the lake. :Angry:

I understand if someone does not want to let poeple know where their honey holes are. I know I dont. It took a loonnnggg time to find it. But if you are going to lurk around and fish a spot by lurking, the nice thing to do would post a little report on it??:Wink::Wink:

**The first rant was about an experience using another site that I will not make public or promote. FNN so far has seemed to be one hell-of-a site and I'll be happy to post my reports after all of my trips. Can't wait to meet some of you members out on the waters soon!

:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I have made the mistake of not being mindful of the background while taking a photo and have had my secret spot bombarded with people the following week. I try to be more careful now but at time I forget. (Thats what happens when you turn fifty, you sometimes forget) So after you make that mistake a couple of times, you take the photo at different angles, not facing the water etc. Even then we/I still occasionally forget and are forced to do the following;
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/Youngh20/Bass/BassReservoir-4.jpg

This is the exact place that I caught this bass. For those of you just lurking on FNN, please stay out of my secret spot. Oh, he was caught on a spinnerbait. "I hope I'm not bragging" "about the art work"

Take care
Desert cathey desertcat that spot looks real familiar i think i caught a lmb in that lake in the background...lol