PDA

View Full Version : where is the best place to tent camp.

christainmetalhead909
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
i am sure that some one has asked this question before but. i would like to tent camp some where near bishop by a lake and creek that takes reservations and fishing is decent. any one have any suggestions?

retired96
06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
This time of year, go to Rock Creek, 12- or 13 campgrounds from 7500-10,000 foot elevation. You can fish Rock Creek from all the campgrounds or fish the lake. All of the campgrounds are well maintained, all have water and clean restrooms. Cost is 20.00 a night or 10.00 if you have the senior pass.

christainmetalhead909
06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
This time of year, go to Rock Creek, 12- or 13 campgrounds from 7500-10,000 foot elevation. You can fish Rock Creek from all the campgrounds or fish the lake. All of the campgrounds are well maintained, all have water and clean restrooms. Cost is 20.00 a night or 10.00 if you have the senior pass.

awesome man, thank you, how far is the walk to the lake?

retired96
06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
The campground at the lake, 10,000 feet is right on the lake. Rock Creek road from the bottom to the top is 10 miles from Hwy 395. There are numerous campgrounds along the road, Rock Creek runs past all of them.

christainmetalhead909
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks again i think im going to go there unless i hear anything else closer.

brando123
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
When are you going? You should def check the weather. Looks like for the next 8-10 days of straight rain. Good luck.

sierraslam
06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd suggest Iris Meadow.

christainmetalhead909
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
not going till july 18. where is iris medow? ill look it up real fast.

Joshua
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
not going till july 18. where is iris medow? ill look it up real fast.
Bishop South Fork
Four Jeffreys Campground. The creek is literally a short cast from your campsite. If you get one along the creek. I have stayed here plenty of times early in the year. And you can make reservations.
Or try Intake II campground.
There is another campground on the Middle Fork of Bishop. Right at the North Lake turnoff.
There is also a campground a few hundred yards from North Lake.

Rock Creek does have alot of campground along the creek. I have only been thru a couple of them.

christainmetalhead909
06-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Bishop South Fork
Four Jeffreys Campground. The creek is literally a short cast from your campsite. If you get one along the creek. I have stayed here plenty of times early in the year. And you can make reservations.
Or try Intake II campground.
There is another campground on the Middle Fork of Bishop. Right at the North Lake turnoff.
There is also a campground a few hundred yards from North Lake.

Rock Creek does have alot of campground along the creek. I have only been thru a couple of them.

thank you im going to look through them all today and see which one we would like to go to. i think i would rather go up by northlake, i know that area i have never been to rock creek lake.

sierraslam
06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Iris Meadow is up the hill from Toms Place about 4-5 miles on the right side of the road. Tent camping spots are right on the creek. Last year we BBQed a whole Chicken while fishing 25 yards from camp. The upper spots offer more privacy but all the spots are close to the creek. If you have not been to Rockcreek lake, Creek, and Canyon, (in the words of John Muir) "the mountains are calling, and you must go." Seriously it is a beautiful place. good fishin1

christainmetalhead909
06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
so many choices, i dont know where to go.

Crawler
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Go to rock creek dude. Its pretty badass. :Cool:

Beancounter
06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
so many choices, i dont know where to go.

That's the beauty of the Eastern Sierras my friend!

christainmetalhead909
06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
you guys that have fished there whats the best thing to use? i would really like to catch the browns or brooks. flies under bubble or worms or crickets? whats best. i only make it to the sierras once a year if that looking for some advice thanks.

Loco
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
If you want Brookies, Rock Creek area is a great place to go. Just follow the road to Mosquito Flats. It is only about 1.5 miles from Rock Creek Lake. It is an easy hike from the parking area into Little Lakes Valley. There is Heart lake, Box Lake and Long Lake within easy distance from the parking area. There are a lot of brookies in those lakes. Just use a small bubble and about 7 ft. of 2 pound leader with a dry fly. #16 or 18 Caddis, black ant, blue wing olive. The little brookies feed all day. It is rumored that there are browns in those lakes although I have never caught one there. There are browns in Rock Creek though.
The hike is worth the effort. It is a beautiful place. The hike is relatively flat although at 10,000 ft.
Have fun. See link.
http://www.kickbully.com/hikes/llv/llv.html

christainmetalhead909
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
If you want Brookies, Rock Creek area is a great place to go. Just follow the road to Mosquito Flats. It is only about 1.5 miles from Rock Creek Lake. It is an easy hike from the parking area into Little Lakes Valley. There is Heart lake, Box Lake and Long Lake within easy distance from the parking area. There are a lot of brookies in those lakes. Just use a small bubble and about 7 ft. of 2 pound leader with a dry fly. #16 or 18 Caddis, black ant, blue wing olive. The little brookies feed all day. It is rumored that there are browns in those lakes although I have never caught one there. There are browns in Rock Creek though.
The hike is worth the effort. It is a beautiful place. The hike is relatively flat although at 10,000 ft.
Have fun. See link.
http://www.kickbully.com/hikes/llv/llv.html

wow thats awesome man all those lakes so close. how long will it take to hike the 1.5 mile do you think. just wondering so i can tell my lazy friend that doesnt want to hike lol. i have never caught a brook and only have caught one brown. and all fish will be released unless they are dying. in case any one was concerned. i just went to bass pro and stocked up on some flies ill have to go back and try to find those three. thanks for the info.

ezcompany
06-22-2009, 01:43 AM
some pretty awesome info here. mind if i ask some questions on this thread too christainmetalhead909?
I am too looking to camp for the first time ever in the Sierras but am so lost on where to begin. Fishing of course being the main focus of the trip.

christainmetalhead909
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
i dont care man. more info is good info, i can always learn about more spots. ask away!!!!