PDA

View Full Version : Duct Hesperia Cat

izesca
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Hit the duct Monday night looking for some striper action. Got to the first spot with a couple hours of daylight left. WIND!!! No bites.

Decided to hit another spot down off of Summit Valley. Seemed to be a bit of motion in the water and there were definitely some kind of fish in there. Cast & Soaked for about 2 hours for only a couple nibbles. Hmm. It's getting cold and still windy.

Figured we'd hit one last spot before packing it up.
After settling in at the last spot, we threw rattletraps, shrimp, worms, and more, still looking for those stripers. None. We heard plenty of fish jumping under the overpass, though.

After a while we are soaking and floating nightcrawlers (me and 2 buddies). Around midnight:15 or so, my buddy Ben thinks he's got something. We don't believe him. ..."No, I got a fish, really." he says.

I suddenly remember that I forgot the net (not a good move fishing the duct), but we're at an area, where its only about 5 feet from water to dry land. So I grab a towel and think I'm gonna snag this fish as he brings it to the edge. I'm figuring its a cat.

I see it show as he gets close and its a nice sized fish...bigger than any Cat I've ever caught. I inch my way down the slant toward the water and try and approach the fish for a rag grab. It's dicey..I'm right on the edge. After a few seconds, foot number one hits the water and the super slick algea-coated concrete below...a little slippage...uh-oh. Then I turn and make a grab for the fish and miss. Dangit! Foot number two hits the water and I know its bad news. I tell Paul "Dude, I'm fallin, yo!" and reach my hand out while trying to flatten my body against the dry part of the duct to create friction...scary...but hilarious at this point. He grabs my hand and pulls me up.

Then he decides to go for the fish (While Ben is still fighting it, trying not to lose the sucker). We're yellin and laughin and thinking this is ridiculous. Paul makes a move for the fish and slips. Both feet in the water, trying to get a grip on that slick duct slant. "He's goin down." I think. By this time, I know what it feels like and I know he's in trouble...so I grab his hand (after he empties his pockets and thows up phones, keys, etc.) and get him out of the water.

(Note: The water at this spot is basically still...and as best we can tell, not too deep. Had either of us fully fallen in, we'd have been okay...but had a challenge getting out. )

After all the commotion, I run and grab some pliers so we can grab this fish by the mouth and yank him up.

Success!

Ben pulls his victory fish out of the water, beating the skunk with tons of laughs and a story to tell.
Some folks don't believe there are fish in the duct...but you all know they are are...and after our first 2 trips, now we have our own evidence. Weighed in at 4lbs.

Tight Lines!

****Oh yeah, forgot to mention as well: After the fish was landed, I look back to where I had dipped...and my wallet is sitting there-half way down the slope toward the water. Ther slope was about 5-6 feet. Just sitting there. My old jeans had been prety worn I guess, and with all the action, finally the hole in my back pocket was big enough for my wallet to slide out. Glad I didn't lose it in the water. God's grace. :)>

LunkerLover
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
sweet :LOL:

Jig-Guy
06-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the post and picks. No skunk and did not even go swimming. Have not fished the duct for a long time, good to hear you got bit.:LOL:

old pudd fisher
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys very injoyable to read and very nice cat to. That outing will always be remembered.

CHUCKY
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Great story .falling in scares me

KittyKiller
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
LMAO nice kitty :Envious:

yolo
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice going on getting some duct action. Slipping in stinks, literally.

biggyfan1
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Nice job. That bad boy is ugly. you know i have the same scale you have and mine is way off. if a fish is 3 pounds or less the scale doesnt even read. your fish is bigger then 4 pounds. mine was 10 pounds and it was not to much bigger then that one.

WARRIORMIKE
06-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Did you put that kitty in the wash?? :ROFL:

seal
06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
FATTY'S in there, be careful and anchor your rod. Couple years ago pulled out a 12 lbs cat on a bass rod at the Hesperia duct, they are there but where are the stripers? They must go through there to get to Silverwood.

Might want to wear a PFD out there though, maybe one of those CO2 inflatables. Pull the cord and take a ride to Silverwood.

FiFTyONeFlSHY
06-10-2009, 09:11 PM
classic great story thanks for d report. hahaha

steve092
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice work at the duct!

Nessie Hunter
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
:ROFL: :ROFL:

Funny stuff, good read, thanks....

JigStop
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
They really like the fancy goldfish, if its the larger cats you like.

Godspeed,

CC