PDA

View Full Version : 6/9 Newport Calicos on the kayak w/ pics

ldsaylor
06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Cut the day early from work and launched the kayak in newport in search of calicos and hopefully a legal halibut. Ended up catching 5 calicos and 1 sandie. The biggest one pictured here measured 19 1/2" and I am guessing in the 4 lb range. Definately one of the bigger calicos I have landed. She put up a hell of a fight.. All fish were released. I only got pics of 3 because as I was taking pictures of the 4th my dumb *** dropped my camera in the kayak right into a pool of saltwater!! damn. yanked it out of there but too late. Camera was done for. Was able to salvage the sim card and get a new camera today so the pics I did take were saved. Most fish caught on 5" big hammers and a couple on Gulp. I was out for 3 hours so bite wasn't heavy but it was a fun day on the water and I got a few fish and a tan. Maybe I can get that legal next time out!

TShaffer
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey sorry to hear about the camera but those are some nice calicos man!

Jaysuuun
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow awesome job out there! I don't see to many calico reports out of NPH so this was a nice surprise. I would definitely love to hook up into a few calicos this summer. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

ghetto dad
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Wow awesome job out there! I don't see to many calico reports out of NPH so this was a nice surprise. I would definitely love to hook up into a few calicos this summer. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

I dont think he was in the harbor jay....

NICE job on the bass...and WAY COOL on the release bro......

GD

ldsaylor
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah. I launched in the harbor. Was just outside of it around the corner when I caught most of the calicos.. One was caught by the bait barge though..

ghetto dad
06-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah. I launched in the harbor. Was just outside of it around the corner when I caught most of the calicos.. One was caught by the bait barge though..

yeah, I can tell from that one pic you were just outside...nice job

GD

bones
06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Great job on the checker sides. It looks real fishy where you were at. A 4lb calico is definately a catch to be proud of here in the local waters.
Ya gotta love Newport for sure!

Jig-Guy
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice pic's and report. Did the dogs give you any problems? I have considered fishing the bay in a tube but don't want to deal with the dogs.

ldsaylor
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I have never had a problem with them in my kayak in the harbor or outside. They mostly chill on docks, boats, or at the bait barge. I have yet to hook one or have any run ins with them..

SeaSick17
06-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Great job out there, looks like you were in the kelpbeds on the south side of the harbor. I tried there a few weeks ago but my stomach gave out lol

gman444
06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I love fishing that kelp south of the harbor, it looks thicker than when i was last there. You should try those big *** boiler rocks that are right near there. I have a some very productive days there. My friend even managed a 2lb. calico on his sworn by crocodile spoon :Rolls Eyes:

Jaysuuun
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM

I was wondering where that was at. I can't remember seeing any kelp in the harbor. :LOL: Good to know. Thanks.

MAVERICK27
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Awesome report. I still havent taken the boat out past the harbor...probably because i dont know any spots that would produce fish haha..pm me!!!!! :)

bergie berg
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
great job on the fish and major props on the release!!! hopefully I can get out there sometime next week...

supasportkid
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
good job< nice calis