PDA

View Full Version : Polarized eyewear

NICKYMOUSE8
06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Well decided to start a thread about eye wear brands and lenses Whats your favorite if you wear polarized alot like me??I have several pairs I use cutter & buck surfline guide glasses in blk.Smith optics ''the don''in amber brownish and finally bolle eyewear in smoke grey color is key when fishing a variety of water types but ill go with amber any day over black

troutdog
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I am pretty happy with my Bolles as well, $30 at Big5 on sale and I'm good to go!

TD

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I HAD a $240.00 pair of shades. I LOST them. :Crying: I just get the $19.00 ones at Wallmart now. I buy two pair at a time . If I loose a pair or they break I have a back up pair. I never go outside without my shades on.:Cool:

lalo56
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I have Oakley Gascans with black polarized lenses.

Cangler
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I have new Bolles too , the wife sat on my Raybans ....

DccFISHerMan
06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
got a pair of electric wolfpak that i got on the internet for 45 bucs, best pair of polarized glasses i have ever had

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
My little Brother Lenny got a job at Oakley and I guess that i could have him go to the employee store and get me some nice shades.:Cool:

matt duarte
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
i have oakley frogskins haha those are some OG polarized glasses

Wingnut
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Can't go wrong with Oakleys or Smith Optics.

matt duarte
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
My little Brother Lenny got a job at Oakley and I guess that i could have him go to the employee store and get me some nice shades.:Cool:

i saw the main oakley building when a buddy and i went to the hpi warehouse and there buiulding is insane! its like 3 or 4 stories underground, they have a monster tank in the front of it and have somesort of a dirt bike, mountain bike, offroad truck track around the whole building haha...defently would love to work there

cappo
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Kaenon Jettys awesome nuff said

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
i saw the main oakley building when a buddy and i went to the hpi warehouse and there buiulding is insane! its like 3 or 4 stories underground, they have a monster tank in the front of it and have somesort of a dirt bike, mountain bike, offroad truck track around the whole building haha...defently would love to work there

Yeah , My little brother really likes it. Laid back place to work. I have not seen to much of him lately. I guess he is working hard.

DarkShadow
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Oakley Half Jackets.

Don't skimp on glasses. They'll end up messing up your eye sight.

i have oakley frogskins haha those are some OG polarized glasses

I didn't know the Frogskins came with polarized lenses.

Can you take a pic of the lenses at the bottom where it says 'Polarized' because Oakley swears up and down that the Frogskins didn't come polarized.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8597/lenspolarized.jpg

I've been looking for a pair for a while now and all the Frogskins (Gen 1 and Gen 2) are non-polarized lenses.

Socal Bassman
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I wear a pair of Cocoons Slimline. They fit right over my prescription glasses and not as bulky as other fit overs. I use the gray lenses for driving and amber lenses when I'm on the water.

tacklejunkie
06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I just lost my shades and need an alternative that won't kill my eyes for under $100 so I don't cry when I lose them.
Can anyone help me out? I feel naked without polarized eyeballs! I can't spot the creekies now. This thread came just in time.
I miss my silver/blue flame straight jackets but can't afford those again.

matt duarte
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
ya pissed me off when i lost my 120$ spys in the ohio river...

im gonna go look at the frogs right now DS

matt duarte
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
my bad DS i guess there not...there just shiney like polarized...doesnt say it anywhere on the glasses....booooooo haha

wellbilldancesays
06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Oakley's at 50% off retail cant be beat!

Currently have the Gascan Polarized.

DarkShadow
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Oakley's at 50% off retail cant be beat!

Thanks for the 411!

Ricky-Ray
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I just lost my shades and need an alternative that won't kill my eyes for under $100 so I don't cry when I lose them.
Can anyone help me out? I feel naked without polarized eyeballs! I can't spot the creekies now. This thread came just in time.
I miss my silver/blue flame straight jackets but can't afford those again.

Check out Costco. I picked up a couple of pair's of Maui Jims for just a little under 100 bucks each.

I usually wear Maui Jims, Kaneons, or Oakley's, and I usually have a couple of pairs of cheap polarized ones for when I go fishing.

El Weirdo
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
big5 has some cool polarized ones on sale from time to time..
mine..Costa Del Mar..which are kinda stapled to my forehead as not to lose them..

El Weirdo
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2579858&rapid=0&listingid=-2089576995&offerid=

PokerFish
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I've lost or scratched up way too many sunglasses on a fishing trip to spend a lot of money on a set of polarized glasses.

I use the Renegade brand fishing sunglasses from Wal-Mart now. They are light, fit well, and are very cheap ($10-17). I've used more expensive brands before and I don't think they are worth the premium. These have a HUGE bang for the buck factor.

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I've lost or scratched up way too many sunglasses on a fishing trip to spend a lot of money on a set of polarized glasses.

I use the Renegade brand fishing sunglasses from Wal-Mart now. They are light, fit well, and are very cheap ($10-17). I've used more expensive brands before and I don't think they are worth the premium. These have a HUGE bang for the buck factor.

Berkley bought out Renegade. The ones you buy now all say Berkley on them. I just bought 2 pair yesterday:Wink:

DarkShadow
06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I've used more expensive brands before and I don't think they are worth the premium. These have a HUGE bang for the buck factor.

• Getting cheap glasses will hurt your vision

Cheap glasses use plastic or crappy polycarbonate for their lenses. Your eyes will spend its time correcting the optical imperfections that the lens have (remember when you used to put on prescription glasses that weren't yours and walking around stumbling into walls as a kid?) This will lead to eye muscle fatigue, headaches, migraines, you name it. Individuals who wear cheap glasses only for a few hours when fishing won't notice the accumulation of the fatigue, but those that have spent 12+ hours on the water may notice the headache on the ride back home. This wasn't the suns doing, it was most likely your cheap glasses. Over time, this can lead to serious vision problems.

With quality lenses, you will be seeing sharper and clearer without image corruption, so everything is exactly where it is, and not shifted.

JediMindTricks
06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
SPY OPTICS.
best all around, for me.

lalo56
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Im really picky with shades due to the fit. Some dont look good on me. Gascans fit my face pefect and i can see the fish and not to mention while driving i dont see the glare on other cars.

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Cheap glasses use plastic or crappy polycarbonate for their lenses. Your eyes will spend its time correcting the optical imperfections that the lens have (remember when you used to put on prescription glasses that weren't yours and walking around stumbling into walls as a kid?) This will lead to eye muscle fatigue, headaches, migraines, you name it. Individuals who wear cheap glasses only for a few hours when fishing won't notice the accumulation of the fatigue, but those that have spent 12+ hours on the water may notice the headache on the ride back home. This wasn't the suns doing, it was most likely your cheap glasses. Over time, this can lead to serious vision problems.

With quality lenses, you will be seeing sharper and clearer without image corruption, so everything is exactly where it is, and not shifted.

DS, I am sure your right about the vision problems w/ cheep shades. I am going to get them Oakley shades as soon as I can.

PokerFish
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM

I didn't really think about that so that's a good point. I will say, however, that I haven't experienced any problems such as headaches when wearing the Renegade (I guess Berkeley now) glasses. I will admit though that most of my fishing trips are typically 3-8 hours so perhaps that's part of it.

Overall though, I think the polycarbonate lenses in the Renegade glasses are pretty decent quality. I don't see any imperfections when looking through them. In fact, I can't tell any difference in image quality between my Oakley's and my Renegades. Is there an easy way to test this by looking at something?

lalo56
06-10-2009, 08:30 PM
As DS said, it matters what you buy because for example, when you got prescription glasses your eyes adjust to it. After a period of time of using them either they get better or worse since they adjust to it. I have 20/20 vision. Only time i got cheap 7/11 shades was because my dog chewed on my oakley shades, so i needed some sun protection 'til i was able to get Oakleys again.

I favor Oakleys because they look sporty and fit my face good.

WARRIORMIKE
06-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Prescription Nike glasses.Best glasses I have ever owned. Bought them for about 240. I also have had DSO eyewear, great for the price

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I just got off the phone with my brother that works at Oakley. I put an order in . Polarized Radar Range , Jet Black/ Black Iridium. Hopefully I will have them buy next Weekend.:Big Grin:

DarkShadow
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
DS, I am sure your right about the vision problems w/ cheep shades. I am going to get them Oakley shades as soon as I can.

I'm partial to Oakleys because they have earned brand loyalty with me.

From my first Oakley shield I got for my football helmet in high school, to my first M Frames I used in college, Oakley glasses have consistently provided some quality optics with extremely precise fits throughout my life.

I'm sure some other brands can be had, especially on sale, but if you have a chance to try the Oakley lenses, they come highly recommended.

In fact, I can't tell any difference in image quality between my Oakley's and my Renegades. Is there an easy way to test this by looking at something?

Unfortunately, the average human won't be able to tell.

But, why not fire a laser through the lenses (and conduct other tests) and see!

http://oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/polarized/hdo

It's interesting to see how they compare to other so-called "big name" manufacturers and you really see where some of them fall short.

camman
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
You think the Oakley building is cool? You need to check out the dude who started Oakleys vacation house (I mean island)....

I stick with Costa's for my fishing...Oakley's for driving...

I found that if you are hard on your glasses like I am, I've found that Oakleys and Maui Jims scratch way easier than my Costa's.

As for the Oakley Innovation website, its interesting...but I don't see the brands like Maui Jim or Costa Del Mars....you know what that means!

James<626>
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I've had been using some Nike glasses "prescribed" for the last 5yrs. Untill 2months ago when I had my lasik surgery. Now I'm as happy as can be, because I can sport some sun glasses now.:Cool: "I was practically blind w/out my glasses" Started off with a pair of LSG's "Liquor Store Glasses" $5 bucks, trash after 3 days, then went 2 Big 5 & got some Body Glove polarized glasses that were on sale 4 $39.99 reg $99. Those were ok untill I tried on my Oakley Hijinx polarized. Those were a perfect fit 2 my face. $160 but well worth it. I couldn't be happier.

xjdesertfox
06-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Prescription Oakley Gascans for me with Ice emerald lenses

175 bucks from lenscrafters

tacklejunkie
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
After a while the the Renegade glasses will give you headaches.
I was using the solar bat ones from walmart which were pretty good. I have a huge head and they fit perfect without squeezing me. But all the walmart fishing sections just went through another makeover and now they don't cary the good fitting cheap solar bat glasses. All they have is the renegade ones now, and what's worse, they don't even have a mirror anymore by the fishing glasses display! I bought some cheepies and got in the truck only to find I looked whacky with the shades in my rearview.

Dammit I need me some good glasses. I think I'm gonna just have to shell out again. Nothing at Big 5 fit my mellon! They all pinchin' up on me and giving me a headache. Have me hatin' life in the first 5 minutes.

All I remember were the best fitting/feeling glasses I ever had were those straight jackets. I'm gonna have to go find a shop and look at some oakleys.

tacklejunkie
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
In fact, I can't tell any difference in image quality between my Oakley's and my Renegades. Is there an easy way to test this by looking at something?

That's like holding a renegade $0.99 lure to a lucky craft pointer. The quality difference will smack you in the face.

I am betting the frame alone are of much higher quality without even getting to the lenses.

NICKYMOUSE8
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I just like to add most folks out there money's tight right now but don't go skimp and settle on some cheap glasses Yeah,I know they serve the purpose but,most cheap pairs straight out suck uncomfortable fit, lousy frame poorer visibility funky color too.It's like that old saying,''You get what you paid for''not to mention my Smiths retail for 125$ paid only 83$ 60% off at the sunglass hut @ the citidel don't know if the sale is still happening though

DarkShadow
06-11-2009, 09:46 AM
As for the Oakley Innovation website, its interesting...but I don't see the brands like Maui Jim or Costa Del Mars....you know what that means!

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6151/oakleyd.jpg

Prescription Oakley Gascans for me with Ice emerald lenses

175 bucks from lenscrafters

Ice Emerald polarized!?

That's hot.

Did Lenscrafters do the polarization on those or where they special order from Oakley?

WARRIORMIKE
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Ice Emerald polarized!?

That's hot.

Did Lenscrafters do the polarization on those or where they special order from Oakley?

Assuming how mine were put together, I had to special order the lens

DEADROOTS
06-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I bought my glasses for $20.00 from a booth in the middle of the Glendale Galleria. I like em, they have brownish lenses. I see right through the water.

Daryl
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I prefer the Maui Jim's Peahi with glass lenses. I have a few pairs of Oakley and like them, but they just don't fit my face. As a matter of fact, I have the half jacket with 3 XLJ lenses, Ice Iridium, Fire Iridium and Grey. They are in the original case and I'm about ready to sell them.

PokerFish
06-11-2009, 12:37 PM
That's like holding a renegade $0.99 lure to a lucky craft pointer. The quality difference will smack you in the face.

I am betting the frame alone are of much higher quality without even getting to the lenses.

The frame on the Renegade is definitely worse compared to my Oakley Half Jackets. I'm sure they would not take nearly the same abuse. No doubt there is a difference in overall quality between my Renegade fishing glasses and my Oakleys. There should be. You can buy 15-20 pairs of the Renegade fishing glasses for the same price as a pair of Oakleys.

My point really was that if you want a cheap and good pair of sunglasses for fishing, the Renegades are the best way to go.

Will a set of Oakleys do a better job? Absolutely, but it will cost you. Is it worth it? Not for me since I always find a way to lose or get them scratched up. I use my Renegades for fishing and my Oakleys for daily use.

camman
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6151/oakleyd.jpg

oops didnt see that...I only clicked on the first and last study and didnt see either Costas or Maui....gotta love the selective advertising....

FISH_HUNTER
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
So it's safe to say we all have "COON EYES" :ROFL::ROFL:...........................

Oakley Juliet's w/Fire Iridium lens POLARIZED FTW!!!

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 04:46 AM
What's the best lense color from Oakley for fishing?
I think I'm gonna get one of the fishing specific straight jackets with VR28 lense coating. But is red a good fishing color? Ones on the end..
http://oakley.com/pd/5717

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 04:49 AM
The frame on the Renegade is definitely worse compared to my Oakley Half Jackets. I'm sure they would not take nearly the same abuse. No doubt there is a difference in overall quality between my Renegade fishing glasses and my Oakleys. There should be. You can buy 15-20 pairs of the Renegade fishing glasses for the same price as a pair of Oakleys.

My point really was that if you want a cheap and good pair of sunglasses for fishing, the Renegades are the best way to go.

Will a set of Oakleys do a better job? Absolutely, but it will cost you. Is it worth it? Not for me since I always find a way to lose or get them scratched up. I use my Renegades for fishing and my Oakleys for daily use.
Have you hooked both shades up to your overkill laser testing facility for comparison yet? Ever try Solar Bat? Much nicer than Renegade, IMO, and same price. I think the point is, the Renegades and Solar bats will ruin our eyes and give us headaches as I have proven to myself already. Just like the Renegade to LC lure comparison, you can buy 15 of them to 1 LC, but what one will you be happier with and which ones are gonna work better?

Man Walmart really did redo all the fishing sections too. I went to two more looking for those solar bat glasses and couldn't find them. I can't even look into the sky to fly my helicopters until I get some glasses. Sucks being used to glasses, because then when you lose them you can't see anything outside.

xjdesertfox
06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Ice Emerald polarized!?

That's hot.

they were special ordered, i had to wait 15 days for them :EyePop:

but it is sooooo worth it.

Skyler
06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Berkley bought out Renegade. The ones you buy now all say Berkley on them. I just bought 2 pair yesterday:Wink:

I use those Berkleys too. The amber wrap around ones. I would get better glasses, but I lose/break approximately 3-4 pair of glasses a year, so anything over $20 is right out, lol. Plus no matter how long I have a pair, they inevitable get scratched within the first month.

tacklejunkie
06-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh man it feels good to be back in my straight jacket.
I don't know how I went so long without them.
Now I just have to focus on not loosing them! :Shocked:
Even had them size the things to my head :LOL: Came with free cleaning kit and $20 off next purchase at sunglass hut.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/OStraightJacket.jpg

dean070
06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Oakleys all the way for me. They have been with me for over 13 years so far

my first pair of half jackets were broken in a mountain biking accident and a drive to the Oakley headquarters and they fixed them like new because they were less than a year old, broke them a second time sitting on them and lost them shorlty after that

my second pair I bought also great but at the time I had them, me and my wife had just gone through the birth of my second daughter and while strapping the kids in the car seats I placed them on top of the car and yep drove off. I realized it about 10 minutes later and went back to find them gone already

third and final pair (So Far) has been with me for the past 3 years and these were the first ones I got that were polarized and love the fit too they seem to fit me the best. I even had a panic attack once with the glasses as i was driving home I thought i had left them sitting at a restaurant and in a panic began digging through the car for them. I wear them so often and they fit so nicely that I didnt realize until i looked in my rearview mirror that I had them on the whole time...

...and I hadnt even had that much to drink that day

NICKYMOUSE8
06-15-2009, 09:32 AM
nice, nice see the difference?I feel like a eye wear whore now ordering a new pair of polarized from the Italian company Carrera :Cool: seen them on G.Q & the outdoor magazine never owned a pair of polarized with glass lenses.

dixoncider
06-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Hobie's with the grey tint.

DarkShadow
06-15-2009, 10:39 AM
... never owned a pair of polarized with glass lenses.

Yeah, glass lenses is a big no no. Glass shards in your eye is no fun.

NICKYMOUSE8
06-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, glass lenses is a big no no. Glass shards in your eye is no fun.Has that happened to you dark shadow??I know one thing for sure ill be careful while driving

Daryl
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Here is a quick look at the properties of today's lens materials.

http://www.spotters-shades.com/lens_materials.htm#glassinfo

DarkShadow
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Has that happened to you dark shadow??

Not ever, but that's because I have never rolled with glass lenses ever in my life. I've had one time that a stuck jig flew back into my face and smacked my lenses, but all the lenses sustained were a tiny scratch.

BUT, I've heard of some stories of lens shattering from the old timers, when they HAD to use glass lenses, because they had no alternative.

NICKYMOUSE8
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Thank you Daryl for the information that was very helpful in pointing the direct advantages and disadvantages especially with lenses and types of materials available,u see I have a few pairs of different types of polarized makers, styles frames,color of lenses ,etc but from what I heard previously before id seen the info you posted that glass polarized offers the BEST hands down vision with minimal strain to your eyes which course is should be a concern especially if you wear them for long periods of time like mwah,But then again like darkshadow said shattered lenses no good for eyes yes!I GUESS its like there never good without bad same goes for eyewear I never thought this post could get so technical and in depth lets keep diving shall we

saintarv
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh man it feels good to be back in my straight jacket.
I don't know how I went so long without them.
Now I just have to focus on not loosing them! :Shocked:
Even had them size the things to my head :LOL: Came with free cleaning kit and $20 off next purchase at sunglass hut.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/OStraightJacket.jpg

I just got mine yesteday at the Oakley store in Irvine and I didn't get the free cleaning kit. :Sad: I had to buy it for $15 but it's free lifetime refills. LOL

tacklejunkie
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah man the Mall out here in Moval is pretty dead. They have to pay you to come there and buy stuff..

I just got mine yesteday at the Oakley store in Irvine and I didn't get the free cleaning kit. :Sad: I had to buy it for $15 but it's free lifetime refills. LOL

jim532
06-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Like a couple people have said, the cheapo glasses are no good. I bought some "fishing glasses" at Sport Chalet a while ago and after about 10 min of wearing them it almost like vertigo. Then take them off and a few minuets later everyhting was fine.
Sport Chalet gladly took them back and gave me store credit even though it was more than 30 days since i had purchased them.