PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember the last time I caught a fish.

Dang
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Hello everyone. I live in North Highlands Ca. Just north of Sacramento and stated fishing again after decades of not. I grew up in Montana and fished a little there off the shores of lakes with my grandfather who wasn't much a fisherman himself I'm afraid. Then while browsing at a Salvation Army shop a little while ago I stumbled upon a old True Temper 5 piece travel rod and decided right then to start fishing again. My mother in-law has stored in my garage some old reels and I cleaned up a one and slapped in on the rod along with some new 10lb line. She also has some old casting reels but I never used one and understand from research that they can be difficult for a beginner. Then off to Wal-mart for some hooks and lures and misc. tackle.
That was a mistake. I wasn't sure what to get and use for bait and no one to ask. I did pick up a few things along with a spinner out fit for my wife. She now has a Ugly Stick and I have pole envy. From now on it's on to a real tackle shop.
Well we decided to try our luck along the American River South Fork near Coloma last Saturday and I had no idea rafting was so popular. Everywhere we went to drop a line the parking lots were packed with rafters unloading and loading rafts. So we decided to explore the area and saw some beautiful country. I really need to get out more. I been metal detecting most of the time during my free time and just sticking to the Sacramento area.
We ended up where the South Fork flows into Folsom lake but had to wait for the rafting parties to load and leave. Then we had it all to our self.
Good thing we paid the $3 parking fee because the rangers did show up.
I used power bait, lures and jigs but nothing bit. But I saw quit a lot of fish
going for flies. (Picked up a used fly rod at a garage sale for $10 )
Finally on a gold Kastmaster I got a strike but thought it was just a snag and lost him. Beginners!
So anyway that's my story. I hope to have some better and shorter posts in the future. I'll be happy if I get a sucker next time.
Oh. My wife wants me to trade my metal detectors for a boat. As if that would help. I think she just wants to go rafting!

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Welcome to FNN.

WallMart is good for the prices on the stuff. You need to know what you want . If your looking for help as to what to buy then the local Mom & Pop tackle shop will serve you well. looking forward to reading your reports.

troutdog
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the board "Dang"!

Just a couple suggestions to consider:

-Downsize your line from 10lb to 6lb and you will see a world of difference.

-Buy a worm blower for inflating nightcrawlers, worms catch a variety of fish and will increase your chances of getting that elusive fish you are looking for.

-Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions here on FNN! :Wink:

Good luck and have fun!

TD

Wingnut
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome, glad to have you on board. :Cool: :Big Grin:

Liteweight
06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
WOW!!! Am I jealous :Envious:
You live in some of the best fishy areas in the State :!!!:
:OMG!: Trout, Bass, Salmon, Steelhead, Shad & Stripers (actually more)! :Fishing Catch: The Lower Sac, American, Yuba, Feather Rivers and their tributaries :Thumbs Up: are some of my favorite fisheries in your area. If it weren't for the hot summers up there I'd probably be one of your neighbors.
Check on the web and find a couple of Fly Shops or regular fishing shops up there to find some areas not too prone to the rafting crowd (although I've heard that it is nearly impossible to avoid them). I hear the Delta around Discovery Bay is good for some bass but mostly stripers. Not sure exactly just how far it is from you.
I'm thinking about making an excursion up to the Delta in the next few weeks before the heat comes on to do some striper fishing.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! :Big Grin:

Robert.

Jig-Guy
06-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Welcome:LOL:. I agree that the mom & pop tackle stores will be more help than any big box. I did enjoy your report and look forward to more from you.

Fisherman57
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the board!

CASTAWAY
06-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the board.......