PDA

View Full Version : Whale Spoted At Balboa Pier

Poxy Boggards
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Had a couple of hours after work, and before softball so I headed down to Balboa Pier for a relaxing couple of hours, Didn't feel like shoulder to shoulder fishing at Newport.

Made some live bait and chilled checking out the scenery. About 6:25 PM, I'm looking toward the beach and I see a huge whale surface right outside of the breaking surf. I got a decent look, and it looked like a small hump back whale to me.

A second later the guy to my rights rod starts peeling line, no way he's landing this one...LOL. He gave it a jerk, and his rig came free.

Sorry no pics, but it was quite a site to see. Never seen a whale that big so close to shore, and while pier fishing. too cool!! I took it as an omen, and our team mercied the other team after the 5th inning.

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Its always cool to see a whale up close. Thanks for the nice read.:Wink:

troutdog
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Sounds like a great night to me! How was the mack fishing...you going to the Vine to chase the kittys this weekend?

TD

boxl0bster
06-10-2009, 01:45 AM
very cool wes, i havent had a whale sighting since i was in preschool and we went whale watching lol.

Poxy Boggards
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
TM65 - Thanks for the reply. It was indeed way cool to see such a magnificent creature up close.

Trout doggy Dog- I was fishing for some Butts at around mid pier. Not sure if I am going to be able to hit the Vine on Saturday, but I want to. I'll give you a call if I manage to make it out there.

Box Lobster- It was a once in a life time experience for me so far. It was exciting to say the least.