PDA

View Full Version : My Best Harbor Day Ever!

flyngby
06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I resisted my urge to go to my go to NPH this week as I am kind of getting bored and wanted an adventure of a different kind!

So when Eddie PM’D me about going to NPH on foot I replied that I wanted to take him to a spot in search of a Legal Flattie!

Eddie does not surf fish so I tried to assure him that on this adventure he would not get his feet wet but would just have sore feet from the boulder hopping on the jetties.

No return PM last night but I had given him a get away time of 0500 from my place!

I was up and on the road and arrived to the spot by 0645 to overcast skies, complete calm and glassy water but I had not looked at the tide charts and was confronted with a negative tide and very slippery rocks!

I started off with the Lucky Craft Sardine and worked my way down the jetty for nothing more than a lot of debris on the lure on every cast and I could not work it slow enough to keep it off the bottom and still keep up the good action!

So I changed to the drop shot rig with Power Bait 5” Power Jerk shad in the Pearl White flavor and worked back to my starting point for nothing again!

I now was questioning what I was doing here and thoughts were going through my head where to go next when a few bait fish boiled to my right. I made a quick retrieve and cast to the spot and after 1 crank I was into what turned out to be a 20” Flattie.

I now realize that I am on the rocks and have no way to land it other than slide it into a crevice in the rocks and tail grabs it! No Bogga Grip or net.

No pic as the camera was still in the truck. I made the quick trip up the rocks and retrieve the camera and return to the spot and cannot believe my eyes as I watch what I thought was a Legal Flattie get some air and bait scatter.

I know where the next cast will go and sure enough it was on with what turned out to be just less than 22”. Again my heart was racing while trying to get it onto the rocks.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3887.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3888.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3889.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3890.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3891.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3892.jpg

Next cast to more boiling bait and I get an instant tap, rod loads, a swing and an ensuing nice run of the drag and I know it is a nicer model.
This is what shows at first color and I am now really wishing I had some sort of landing device but have to resort again to work it in nose first into the rocks and tail grab it!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3893.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3894.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3895.jpg

A short time later after my heart settles and I have a Cancer Stick I see another Flattie get some air and make the cast for this one at 20”.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3896.jpg
Then another at 20”
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3898.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3899.jpg

I then lost 1 very close to legal again as I was trying to gat the action shot before trying to land it.

It then slowed at the spot so I made a short trip back to the truck and pick up my other pole and a few more weapon as my Jerk Shad was no longer functional!

I then went just up the way and again tried to entice some Calico or others to take the Lucky Craft in some near shore kelp.

No such luck so I went back to the Drop Shot with the “ZOOM 5” White Ice”, and on the first cast I thought I was stuck in the kelp or rocks but gave it a swing any way and it was hold on BABY! She took off and I knew it was better than my previous fish but I actually thought I had a Bat Ray!

Well at color I about S#%# myself.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3901.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3903.jpg

So I get it to this point and she starts talking to me saying that her little sisters around the corner told me you have no landing device so what is your Plan???????
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3902.jpg

I look right at the large rocks and it is not good, I look left and 40’ away and some boulder hopping is a little parking spot that I think is a place I can park her front first and box her in for the tail grab. There are also a few stringers of kelp between me and that area!

I then look and see that my already low spool on the smaller spinner reel has a loop protruding off the spool. She makes another run and sure enough there is a sudden stop of line going off my spool. No more to give and only option is to gain what little line is our there and make the move to the spot.

I move here down to the spot and make the move to park her in the slot and when I do there is a slight drop in the water level like an inside the harbor swell and it is 3” high and dry on the rocks and I jumped at the opportunity and tail grabbed it for another successful landing!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3907.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3910.jpg

Here she is on the release!
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CIMG3911.jpg
and a nice tail splash into the camera and my face.

I have to be very thank full for having 30 lb. Braid in 8 lb. diameter to be able to perform all of this today

Some other action missed today was a very large 24” + Corbina passed by in less than 1’ of water right in front of me and a 3’ Smooth Hound joining the top water action on the Bait frenzy in front of me.

PB 8 Flatties for the day and 2 Legals!

Special thanks to Mike (Bones) and Arthur Wingnut for the intel!!!!!!

Steve

DEADROOTS
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Jeez lewis! Man I wish I was there! The bite was wild. Were you just using the zoom flukes the whole time?

boxl0bster
06-09-2009, 08:39 PM
wow what an awesome day on the water steve! congrats on your pb day!

CAPT'N
06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Steve nice job!

You have caught more flatties in one day than I have in 5 years!

Time to get you and your son on some Stripers................

Give me a call,

Scott

madbass
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice job! sounds like a lot of fun day to me!

HESBROS
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
OK, I did send you a PM, at 2022! So there! Oh yeah, nice dat fishing.....blah blah blah! Becky is pissed that you released future dinner for me! Oh, and I sent you another PM!

HESBROS
06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Hmmmmmmm, best day ever? Dang, if I had known you were gonna release the "Big" flattie you got on the "hesbros" I would not have stuck it!

HESBROS
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Okay, enough bashing. Glad you had a good day. Guess next time I will take you up on the offer. Oh, by the way, my little collapsable net would have come in handy? Good job Stevo. How the hell am I going to get away with saying that spot is on the way home.

LBSea
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Great job out there that looks awesome! Best way to land them anyway if you do plan on releasing them, no cut tails.

When I tube for Halibut and plan on releasing even the legals I just slid them into my lap and snap a few shots then slid them back into the water. They will and do go ballistic but I have found if they can lay flat they will kind of mellow out for an easy hook removal and photo or two. I have also found not to push my luck on how much time I have before they do go ballistic.

ldsaylor
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow. Nice work man! Thats a hell of a morning! Congrats and nice report and pics..

klocked
06-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Steve, Congrats on an awesome day and your pb of 8 fat flatties !!
That 30" butt was nice!!!!:EyePop::LOL::Cool:

I'll go with ya next time if Eddie doesn't want to.....:Envious:

Good job Steve!!!

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats on your best day fishing in the harbor. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

troutdog
06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Awesome play by play and execution in landing all those flatties, congrats on an incredible day on the water!

TD

BingJr
06-09-2009, 10:40 PM
That is truly an epic day.

Awesome job on the Flatsters.

Wingnut
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey, thanks a lot Steve... that 30 incher was waiting for me to come get it this weekend but I guess you beat me to it! :Angry: :ROFL:

Stop poaching Wingnut & Bones spots!!! :Big Smile:

Kudos on the release of the legals... YOU get it, and that is EXACTLY why we share such spots with you and people like you my friend. :Secret: Gives me a chance to catch those legals again someday. Congrats on an epic day and the PB Flat Boy count on a foot assault. My only regret is that I wasn't standing there next to you today to witness the moment. :Cool: I thoroughly enjoyed the frantic phone call from you while sitting in the office today... I could tell that your adrenaline was still pumping after you nailed the big girl... priceless!

Now you have to help me win my next bet with Blackwater. :Wink:

greg
06-10-2009, 12:08 AM
WOW !!! Thanks for the report. Gotta try that white Gulp! in NPH.

You need to get a girl who knows what it means to go fishing. But my wife out fishes me every time...

saltman
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi, Steve

nice toad, Let get togetter before fire season get going.

Ram...

Nessie Hunter
06-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Great read/pics and a stellar day of Butting... WTG....!!!!

socalfish
06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
great job!! and awesome pics!

bones
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
What can I say Steve.........Congrats on a job well done and the PB harbor day.
NOW that's a fine example of some "Way past legal" Flatties. It's heartwarming to see how careful you are when handling the big girls and the respect you have for how difficult they are to hunt down and catch. You and many others here on the board know that days like yesterday are few and far between but the memories will last forever. Knowing that you are a seasoned firefighter and a fisherman who respects life makes you a fine example of a fisherman and overall great guy who I am proud to call a friend. If the young anglers here on the board follow your fine example in life the world will be a better place IMHO.
Keep up the good work!

BTW........
A really strange thing happened yesterday!
Remember the conversation about spotties or any other bass in general in that spot......
2nd to last cast at 7:45pm I got hit right at my feet and I raised my rod tip and PRESTO....
A 10" thumbsucker spottie revealed itself.....Go figure....LOL

tacklejunkie
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Very nice mission and production Steve!
Tons of big butts!
I have heard stories of "flying flatties" as of late but have been too busy to take advantage. I guess my topwater sardine will have to wait a bit longer.
Thanks for the report. Felt like I was there catching huge flatties with you. The pic where you brought the big one to color was just awesome! I can only imagine :LOL: "And all the sudden I saw it"

Tough to land those fatties on the rocks too! Definitely a struggle!

victor101
06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Awesome :EyePop: !Congrats on the 30" Hali...truly an epic day!

And :Thumbs Up: on the release!

Badbeat
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
NOW that's a fine example of some "Way past legal" Flatties.

Now that's CLASSIC! :ROFL:

Mr. Flyngby, how lucky it is to get first hand intel from Wingnut and Bones, I'm sooooo jealous!!!! :Envious: That is one kick a** day of fishing.

Santa Fe Eric
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve!
If anyone deserves a day of fishing like that it is you my friend!
I felt like I was there with you watching the fish rising and casting to them.
Thanks for posting. This made eating my turkey sandwich at lunch much better!

The Harbor Master on Foot! WOW!

Jaysuuun
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
:EyePop: Holy Crap! Steve congratulations on an epic day in the harbor! That's friggin awesome! Damn if Eddie didn't want to go I would've called in sick just to land your fish and take your pictures just so I can watch all the action. :LOL: That must have been so cool to see flatties breaking the surface. WTG on landing those monster fish without any landing gear. Your a pro!

ghetto dad
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
NICE JOB Steve...you will always be, my hero brother!!!!

GD

blackwater
06-10-2009, 05:29 PM
A day to remember for sure! Congratulations on the big flattie. :Shocked:
Must be nice to have Bones and Wingnut do the recon and pass along the intel for you. That's not fair. :Envious: Don't help Arthur with the challenge and i'll split the winnings with you when he loses the bet! :ROFL: I got his number this time. :Twisted:

bones
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Must be nice to have Bones and Wingnut do the recon and pass along the intel for you. That's not fair. :Envious: Don't help Arthur with the challenge and i'll split the winnings with you when he loses the bet! :ROFL: I got his number this time. :Twisted:

One thing I've learned about Arthur is to "Never underestimate him"
That that tatoo he has should always remind us of what Clark Kent was really capable of when challenged!
The only way the odds will tip in your favor Blackwater is if you are able to contaminate his smelly jelly with kryptonite.....LOL

FishNFurious
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Brownie points on the release, but i don't know. It would be tough for me if i caught two nice legals and let both go. :LOL: What a day, very nice!

exfactor
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Legal flattie's should be measured in pounds, not inches. Makes it easier to story tell. Caught a ten pounder sounds better than caught a 30 incher.

BIGRED KILLA
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Very nice solo/epic day you had out there Steve with some nice flatties from the rocks. Thats also a good little story of the halis head out of the water talking to you to funny. Keep it up out there.

Bigred

flyngby
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Jeez lewis! Man I wish I was there! The bite was wild. Were you just using the zoom flukes the whole time?

No, I originally used the Lucky Craft Metallic Sardine for nothing before going to the Power Bait Jerk Shad Pearl White 5" had the first sucess, mad the move and tried the LC again before going to the Zoom White Ice.

wow what an awesome day on the water steve! congrats on your pb day!

Thanks and it was awsome and wish I could have had company on the trip!

Hey Steve nice job!

You have caught more flatties in one day than I have in 5 years!

Time to get you and your son on some Stripers................

Give me a call,

Scott

Scott,

Thanks, sometime you get to the spot with perfect timing!

Brad will be out of school next week and hopefully we can work something out to get! the only problem is I am only off on Mon/Tue for the summer!

Nice job! sounds like a lot of fun day to me!

Fun Yes, but fishing is also supposed to be relaxing not stressful like when those bigger models are on but in the end there are memories for a life time from that trip!

OK, I did send you a PM, at 2022! So there! Oh yeah, nice dat fishing.....blah blah blah! Becky is pissed that you released future dinner for me! Oh, and I sent you another PM!

You know my comp witching hour! Next time I will invite Becky so she can catch a nice 1 and you can cook it up for her!

Hmmmmmmm, best day ever? Dang, if I had known you were gonna release the "Big" flattie you got on the "hesbros" I would not have stuck it!

The title was suposed to read PB Harbor Flattie Day Ever but I fat fingered the keys and the Edit did not take!

Okay, enough bashing. Glad you had a good day. Guess next time I will take you up on the offer. Oh, by the way, my little collapsable net would have come in handy? Good job Stevo. How the hell am I going to get away with saying that spot is on the way home.

Sorry but I have been banned from that spot by those that showed me it!

Great job out there that looks awesome! Best way to land them anyway if you do plan on releasing them, no cut tails.

When I tube for Halibut and plan on releasing even the legals I just slid them into my lap and snap a few shots then slid them back into the water. They will and do go ballistic but I have found if they can lay flat they will kind of mellow out for an easy hook removal and photo or two. I have also found not to push my luck on how much time I have before they do go ballistic.

Thanks,

I have a nicer quality net on the boat thanks to 1 of my guests to prevent the damage,
and I am still getting out fitted for the surf and other on foot trips so I had no choice but to accomplish it the way I did!

All of them were very content to lay in the landing spots long enough for the quick tail grab, photo, and quick release!

Wow. Nice work man! Thats a hell of a morning! Congrats and nice report and pics..

Thanks,

It will be hard to duplicate that is for sure!

Steve, Congrats on an awesome day and your pb of 8 fat flatties !!
That 30" butt was nice!!!!:EyePop::LOL::Cool:

I'll go with ya next time if Eddie doesn't want to.....:Envious:

Good job Steve!!!

Thanks John,

We will start to work on a Harbor trip together here in the very near future!

You are 1 of many that are in line who want to be substitute partners!

Congrats on your best day fishing in the harbor. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

Thanks for the reply!

Awesome play by play and execution in landing all those flatties, congrats on an incredible day on the water!

TD

It is always fun to write about the great days but someday soon I will have to post the other end of the stick and post the Smelly report.

That is truly an epic day.

Awesome job on the Flatsters.

Thanks Bing!

Hey, thanks a lot Steve... that 30 incher was waiting for me to come get it this weekend but I guess you beat me to it! :Angry: :ROFL:

Stop poaching Wingnut & Bones spots!!! :Big Smile:

Kudos on the release of the legals... YOU get it, and that is EXACTLY why we share such spots with you and people like you my friend. :Secret: Gives me a chance to catch those legals again someday. Congrats on an epic day and the PB Flat Boy count on a foot assault. My only regret is that I wasn't standing there next to you today to witness the moment. :Cool: I thoroughly enjoyed the frantic phone call from you while sitting in the office today... I could tell that your adrenaline was still pumping after you nailed the big girl... priceless!

Now you have to help me win my next bet with Blackwater. :Wink:

Arthur,

What can I say but a HUUUUUUUUUUGH THANKS for the Flattie Knowledge and some visits to some of your secret spots. I may not have got that Legal from the Surf yet but I certainly have learned alot about catching the Flatties!

I did take the gear with me to do the surf that day but did not feel right about breaking it out as I had a special felling about that day and did not want to ruin a future moment for us when I finally do get 1 from the surf!

I think the call was actually about 40 minutes after landing her and my heart was still pumping!

Thanks Buddy!

Can't wait to help you accomplish your next GOAL!!

WOW !!! Thanks for the report. Gotta try that white Gulp! in NPH.

You need to get a girl who knows what it means to go fishing. But my wife out fishes me every time...

My wife give me the freedom to get out like I do and the only time on my boat she caught the biggest Spottie of the day!

Hi, Steve

nice toad, Let get togetter before fire season get going.

Ram...

Copy that Ram!

Great read/pics and a stellar day of Butting... WTG....!!!!

Thanks Frank! Posted it over there also!

great job!! and awesome pics!

Thanks!

What can I say Steve.........Congrats on a job well done and the PB harbor day.
NOW that's a fine example of some "Way past legal" Flatties. It's heartwarming to see how careful you are when handling the big girls and the respect you have for how difficult they are to hunt down and catch. You and many others here on the board know that days like yesterday are few and far between but the memories will last forever. Knowing that you are a seasoned firefighter and a fisherman who respects life makes you a fine example of a fisherman and overall great guy who I am proud to call a friend. If the young anglers here on the board follow your fine example in life the world will be a better place IMHO.
Keep up the good work!

BTW........
A really strange thing happened yesterday!
Remember the conversation about spotties or any other bass in general in that spot......
2nd to last cast at 7:45pm I got hit right at my feet and I raised my rod tip and PRESTO....
A 10" thumbsucker spottie revealed itself.....Go figure....LOL

Mike,

Thanks, It was amasing how we ran into each other up there on that day but you were a wee late!! I had fun conversing with you as always and gaining even more knowledge!

Also amasing is how were talk about something and you go out and got it accomplished!
Sorry the Flatties did not cooperate after I headed home!

I had a dream last night that you would have a great day today! Did it Happen?

Very nice mission and production Steve!
Tons of big butts!
I have heard stories of "flying flatties" as of late but have been too busy to take advantage. I guess my topwater sardine will have to wait a bit longer.
Thanks for the report. Felt like I was there catching huge flatties with you. The pic where you brought the big one to color was just awesome! I can only imagine :LOL: "And all the sudden I saw it"

Tough to land those fatties on the rocks too! Definitely a struggle!

Casey,

Time to get a break and get out more! I need to get into the Freswater reports more and see what you are up to!

Awesome :EyePop: !Congrats on the 30" Hali...truly an epic day!

And :Thumbs Up: on the release!

Vic,

Thanks and I will continue to release them until I consume the last of the PB Flattie I got in Dec. I have 2 or 3 more meals from that one!

Now that's CLASSIC! :ROFL:

Mr. Flyngby, how lucky it is to get first hand intel from Wingnut and Bones, I'm sooooo jealous!!!! :Envious: That is one kick a** day of fishing.

Well I think it is time for Uncle Arthur to take you out there!!! I had a very lucky day out there!

Steve!
If anyone deserves a day of fishing like that it is you my friend!
I felt like I was there with you watching the fish rising and casting to them.
Thanks for posting. This made eating my turkey sandwich at lunch much better!

The Harbor Master on Foot! WOW!

Eric,

Yes I went from writing the Rhymes to writing a Novel! Did I turn your Turkey Sandwick into a Filet-O-Fish?

It is still a Harbor either by boat or by foot!

:EyePop: Holy Crap! Steve congratulations on an epic day in the harbor! That's friggin awesome! Damn if Eddie didn't want to go I would've called in sick just to land your fish and take your pictures just so I can watch all the action. :LOL: That must have been so cool to see flatties breaking the surface. WTG on landing those monster fish without any landing gear. Your a pro!

Jaysuuun,

Yes a fantastic day for sure! I felt like I had to think outside the box and land them any way I could while preserving them for the future! I have seen flying fish before but never a Flattie!

NICE JOB Steve...you will always be, my hero brother!!!!

GD

Steve,

Thanks

Sorry but i do not posses any costumes to wear!

Phoung,

I now have offers from both participants!

Arthur is offering me only 20% and you are throwing down 50 %!

I guess negotiotions are in the future!

Brownie points on the release, but i don't know. It would be tough for me if i caught two nice legals and let both go. :LOL: What a day, very nice!

Had all of them been legal they all would have swam away on that special day!

Legal flattie's should be measured in pounds, not inches. Makes it easier to story tell. Caught a ten pounder sounds better than caught a 30 incher.

Putting them on the scale would do more damage in my perdonnel opinion! But thanks for the reply.

Very nice solo/epic day you had out there Steve with some nice flatties from the rocks. Thats also a good little story of the halis head out of the water talking to you to funny. Keep it up out there.

Bigred

Thanks Lucas,

Fun Day it was!

See you all!

Steve

bsp
06-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Steve, congratulations on such an epic day on the water! I can't believe that both you and Mike have shattered my PB in back to back trips in the same spot... along with my total legal count for this year.

It takes a talented angler to know when to switch out the bait to get the fish to bite, and you really reaped the rewards of that. I know it's something I have to work on.

That 32in halibut is a big breeder, so major props on the release of her and all thee other legals. The karma you get from that will result in an even bigger halibut out of there soon, and definitely a legal surf halibut.

Marc