PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishermen, what is your favorite fly pattern?

Skyler
06-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Thought I'd start this thread to see what everybody else is throwing here in Socal. Just type your favorite dry and wet pattern here.

Dry: Irresistable Adams
Wet: Light Hendrickson Wet

Who's next?

flyforfish21
06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Dry: Modified parachute adams...Elk Hair caddis a super close second
Wet: Prince (beadhead or not)...Pheasant tail/Hares ear tied seconds...

Just what i throw around here, mostly san gabriel. Have other favorites for montana, whole different ball game there...

flyforfish21

NICKYMOUSE8
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
here's a electric deceiver I tied 13120and my shad streamer pattern13123those are my some so cal.flies

smokinflies
06-10-2009, 03:05 AM
damn those flies look good enough to smoke. roll one up primo!!!

Flying
06-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Dry: Wolly bugger (Hey it was dry when I tied it on :LOL:)

Wet: Wolly bugger

I never got into the dry stuff much when I started. Now I can't see it!:Shocked::LOL:.

jim532
06-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Dog hair caddis

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/jim532/IMG_1981.jpg

photo courtesy of Ifishtoolittle

tacklejunkie
06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
You guys know mine.
Trout:
Dry: Stimulator variants, EHC, Parachute variants
Wet: Stimulator variants and Wooly boogers/buggers weighted, beadhead or lightweight. Also have a good assortment of CD's flies I'm working with now.

Bass:
Dry: Home tied bumble bee poppers
wet: hot flash minnows

Salt: (haven't caught anything yet here but only tried once)
CD's Bigfoot Surf flies assortment and hot flash minnows.

City Dad
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
dry: simple white quill parachute with an oragne wing post. Tied in the full range of sizes, they can be colored with markers to match a broad range of bugs that fish eat. The orange post makes them much easier to see.

wet: I have to qualify this: in California, bead-head hares ear. In the PNW, anything with peacock herl

LM bass: wooly bugger

SM bass: muddler

crappie: small white clouser

saltwater: Endress Razzler

NICKYMOUSE8
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
sexy mylar popper!13128:EyePop:It does well in both salt and freshwater

smalweld
06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Dry would be Elk Hair Caddis, or a parachute adams or a Blue winged olive.
Wet would either be a wolley bugger or a peeping caddis. Late fall on the Owens, zebra midge hands down.
So far I have caught my largest trout on a Wooley Bugger.

As you can see I have lots of favorites, it depends on what is hatching at what stream. Also depends if its a heavily fished stream, if so then the fish really get picky.

Sean

dockboy
06-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Most consistent? Small black beadhead midge, #18-22

I love to fish streamers. I fish a lot of different patterns...my favorite is one I make and nobody I have seen so far fishes. Its a small zonker like pattern, like #8-10. I can't give away the material's I use cuz then it wouldn't be mine anymore would? :Shocked:
But its a lot of fun to fish, better fish average but more hits then a larger streamers like #6 Bugger, which everyone likes to use.

For dries, the most fun I ever had was throwing big salmonflies on the Lower Deschutes in Oregon. Watching a fish explode on a fly the size of your pinkie is pretty neat :Cool:
Though for overall best dry, it would be a yellow stimulator with a peacock head and dun forehackle, I have done well with that particular fly everywhere. The original fly I based it all of was completely shredded by the fish on the first tryout, always a good sign :LOL:

Funny thing, is I love to fish streamers and have caught many good fish on them. My favorite memory? PB brown on the Lower Truckee, last fish of the day, 8lb. The fly? A tiny #22 mayfly nymph I had tied only a month before, first baptism by fire and it produced sure enough. :Smile: