PDA

View Full Version : Pismo Beach

SueMarie301
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Hello, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post or not. I was curious about fishing/clamming at Pismo. I usually go up there once a summer for vacation, but this year I am going to be out there for a week and wanted to maybe try some surf fishing and clamming.

I've never surf fished before, but I wasnt sure if there was something I needed to know or not. Any advice?

Also with clamming, I know you need to get a permit, but are you required to have a measuring device like you do with Lobsters and Crabs? I don't plan on diving for clams, just see what I can find on the beach area. I know low tide is supposed to be best. How far should one dig?

Thanks,
Sue...

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey there SueMarie301, If you check out the Lobster & Crab Fishing section and find the reports by diamonbear & Spartafish, give them a PM and I am sure they have the answers you are seeking. :Big Grin::Wink:

SueMarie301
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks... I'll take a look there and see if I can find that.

Sue...

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Take your bass fishing drop shot rod. Drop shot for halibut, using small flukes ,or basstrix minnows. Second option is live sand crabs, with a carolina rig. The surf perch get big up there. Go to avila ,and fish the bay. To my surprise a few years ago, i actully caught ,sand bass on plastics thier, off the finger jetty, were they launch the boats .good luck and let us know what you catch.

dalean08
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I googled this info for you
Legal size is 4 1/2 inches in diameter; and the proper place to clam is south of Grand Avenue (south of Pismo Beach).

Clams take approximately five years to reach legal size; growing about 3/4 of an inch each year. As clams approach ten years of age, they seldom grow more than 1/8 of an inch per year. The largest living Pismo Clam on record is 7 3/8 inches, however the clam shell on display in the Pismo Beach Chamber of Commerce is 8 inches in diameter.

During high tide, the clam is covered with water and can be found just under the sand's surface with it's siphon extended to the surface. Water taken in through the siphon, passes over the gills where food particles are removed and digested. The water is then expelled through the siphon. A 3 inch clam filters an average of 5,800 gallons of water per year. This amount of water contains approximately 3.88 ounces of food; thus clams are very light eaters.
How To Clam

Before you clam you must obtain a salt-water fishing license, which can be purchased at K-Mart (Arroyo Grande), Longs Drugs (Pismo Beach) and Gotta Go Fish'n (Pismo Beach). Clamming is permitted year-round. You will also need a clam fork and a measuring device called a "caliper"; normally the caliper is attached to the clam fork. If you do not use a clam fork, you can use a modified rake, or any utensil that has prongs a foot or so long.

The limit for clamming is ten clams per day per person. It is a good idea to bring a bucket and fill it with sea water, not fresh water; the clams once in the bucket, will purge themselves of any impurities and will open slightly. This will allow you to remove them from their shells more easily. If you try to remove them from their shells when they are closed, you will quickly learn where the expression "Clam Up" came from.
Clamming Guidelines

According to state law: Clams must measure 4 1/2" in diameter before they can be taken. Undersized clams must be replaced in the very same hole that they were taken from. A saltwater fishing license is required. The annual fee for a saltwater license is approximately $14.20, and a day pass is about $8.40. The licenses are issued by the Department of Fish and Game. Clams may be taken only between a half-hour before sunrise and a half-hour after sunset. The limit for clamming is 10 clams per day per person. Those caught not adhering to any of these guidelines, will be subject to heavy fines.

J. Owen
06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
surf perch on motor oil color grubs rigged carolina riged in the surf

SueMarie301
06-11-2009, 02:07 PM
PUDD – I never thought of trying drop shots for halibut. I used a weight on the end of my line, and then I nose hooked live chovy and propelled it down my line on a swivel using a 18” – 24” fluorocarbon leader. I definitely want to try for some surf perch out there. How far from the weight do you suggest I tie a hook if I am trying drop shots? Great name by the way LOL!

Dalean08 – Ah yes, I knew about the size limits. Somewhere I think someone told me I needed a permit for clams. Kinda like a report card for lobsters. I knew I had to have an ocean stamp for my fishing license. I have that, so that won’t be an issue. I guess I may have misunderstood about the Ocean License / Ocean Permit.

J. Owen – Thanks… that was the next question I was going to ask….color. I have a few blue tints, but wasn’t to sure how darker colors would work. I’ll grab some when I get the chance.

Take Care & Happy Fishing!

Sue…

J. Owen
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
PUDD – I never thought of trying drop shots for halibut. I used a weight on the end of my line, and then I nose hooked live chovy and propelled it down my line on a swivel using a 18” – 24” fluorocarbon leader. I definitely want to try for some surf perch out there. How far from the weight do you suggest I tie a hook if I am trying drop shots? Great name by the way LOL!

Dalean08 – Ah yes, I knew about the size limits. Somewhere I think someone told me I needed a permit for clams. Kinda like a report card for lobsters. I knew I had to have an ocean stamp for my fishing license. I have that, so that won’t be an issue. I guess I may have misunderstood about the Ocean License / Ocean Permit.

J. Owen – Thanks… that was the next question I was going to ask….color. I have a few blue tints, but wasn’t to sure how darker colors would work. I’ll grab some when I get the chance.

Take Care & Happy Fishing!

Sue…

also green xmas party colors

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Sue its no differant ,than fishing for bass. I use the tag 12" in the surf.in the bay ill go up to 30". On the carolina i like a 24" leader. There should be lots of sand crabs ,for the taking. I like a #6 mosqito hook ,for both applications. Wish i was going, i have a lot of memories in that area.