PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek camping info

mlo55
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Need some help on picking a campground for the beginning of Aug would like to stay around Rock Creek possibly East Fork because they take reservations I would hate to get there and not have a place to stay I was wonering what the weather would be there it is about 9000ft. I would appreciate any input or pictures anyone could give me on campgrounds or weather

retired96
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Give me a break on bears, I have camped in Rock Creek for over 40 years and I tent camp almost 90 days each season for the past 15 years, you know how many bears I have seen in all those years, three, one in 1992 in French Camp and two in 1997 at Palasades campground.

All campsites have bear boxes to store your food, If you leave your food outside you deserve to have Yogi come visit you. Almost every bear problem is because someone doesn't use common sense and keep their food secured.

There are numerous campgrounds in the canyon, from 7500 foot elevation to the lake at almost 10,000. The weather in August will be warm, much warmer in the lower campgrounds and cooler at the upper elevations. No one can predict what the weather will be like months in advance so you have to be prepared for anything. Two years ago I was there the first days of Sept. and it was cold and snowing.

I like Iris meadow, only 14 sites, the campground at the lake is mostly for RV's camping on asphalt with alot of traffic. East Fork is too big, too many people, might as well camp on the 405 freeway.

Go to the Rock Creek Lake website and it will give you lots of info on camping, all the campgrounds and you can make your resvervations on that site.

Big Country
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Amen Retired96...If you leave you stuff out, then by all means you deserve a visitor.

Jimbow
06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I've camped at and fished the rock creek for the past 45 years and have yet to see a bear. Guess I have been missing all the fun. :EyePop:

mlo55
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input but what do you think about going that time of year without making reservations (Second week of Aug) I know a lot of schools start around the third week and and I am afraid there will be a lot of people there that week.

retired96
06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
There are over 300 campsites in Rock Creek, the only time you really have to worry is during a holiday. I never ever go on a holiday weekend and in the past 15 years can't recall a time where all of the campgrounds were full.

basschaser
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Need some help on picking a campground for the beginning of Aug would like to stay around Rock Creek possibly East Fork because they take reservations I would hate to get there and not have a place to stay I was wonering what the weather would be there it is about 9000ft. I would appreciate any input or pictures anyone could give me on campgrounds or weather

I have stayed at eastfork campground 3 times in the last 5 years the campgrounds are really nice and the bathrooms are immaculate i would try too get a site near the creek these are extra peaceful ive also caught several stockers(Rainbows) out of the creek I have run into bears only one time and the only reason they were out was because some bozo left some food out just use the bear boxes for your food and you shouldn''t have a problem