PDA

View Full Version : Wish I would have been skunked.....

working4golf
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I went to do some pier fishing in Oceanside on Friday night. Very slow for a looong while. Finally got a tug, and landed a nice stingray! It started to heat up, with the next 20 minutes or so producing a few small bass, a croaker.....and finally a Sculpin.

I let that damn Sculpin 'prick' my hand in two spots. DAMN.....who woulda thought that little guy could put a person in so much pain??!?!

A short while later, fishing was then done as my hand started swelling up like a cartoon character.

I would have been content going home not having caught a fish at all............

Puropuro
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
OUCH! Sorry to hear that.

I always handle those guys like live explosives.....very carefully.
They're such good eatin' though, I do take the time to snip them.

Does Benedryl help any for the sting? Ice probably helps a bit, and maybe if you're hiding some vicodin in the medicine cabinet.

ghetto dad
06-09-2009, 10:25 AM
yeah, all the years i have worked and fished boats, I have never been stung...***knock on wood***....but i have seen MANY get stung...the pain and swelling is very very intense.....

sorry about you getting stung man....

GD

h00ked247
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Heat will neutralize the poison in a sculpin "sting".

ghetto dad
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Heat will neutralize the poison in a sculpin "sting".

yeah...they say hot boiling coffee helps....but youre still pretty much done for awhile...a lot of people say they are in some kind of pain even for a few days afterwards....

this is why on a sportboat guys, NEVER "throw" your sculpin on like a bass....some idiot did that when i was working the Toronado and it bounced off my head, somehow at the right angle where I didnt get stung (ok guys, insert funny comment here, lol)....also, be careful those of you that clip them with your dikes....ive had people clip their sculpin, leaving a spine on their dikes, and get stung while putting their dikes in their back pocket....their cheeks would blow up like jason lopez's.......lmao......

the cut spines still can sting you...BE CAREFUL!!!

GD

Frenchy
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
im one of those lucky few who the nasty lil sculpins sting doesnt affect

gavin310
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
i didn't even know sculpins had poison and i always get pricked by fish so it's a good thing i read this. now that i know they're dangerous i want to eat them. that's a weird feeling.

cappo
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
i heard if you eat too many sculpins you become immune

Oz
06-09-2009, 02:04 PM
it sucks to get stung by a skullie. i only got grazed by one once and it swelled up a lil. so i can imagine getting stuck two times doesnt feel any better. it will pass and u will be out there catching more.

i heard if you eat too many sculpins you become immune

why dont we test that theory out homie :Twisted: :LOL:

cappo
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
wth u changed your name

troutdog
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the sculpin mishap...I heard coffee works as well.

wth u changed your name

I'm okay with the name change, just don't change the avatar :LOL:

TD

Oz
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
wth u changed your name

yup homie. i wanted this name for awhile. so here it is :Cool:

Sorry to hear about the sculpin mishap...I heard coffee works as well.

I'm okay with the name change, just don't change the avatar :LOL:

TD

hahaha trout dog

ghetto dad
06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
lol...even though i wont get the credit...dont forget who gave you that name...:Wink:

***here comes eye roll smiley from oz***

fishboy93
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
ok. this may sound funny. but if you piss on the part where you got stung it will help and also if you put coffee on it. ive gotten stung before but it doesnt really affect me that much. luckily

Oz
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
lol...even though i wont get the credit...dont forget who gave you that name...:Wink:

***here comes eye roll smiley from oz***

yes i know. you, then craig started saying that to me alot since u couldnt pronounce osiito :Rolls Eyes: :LOL:

ghetto dad
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
yes i know. You, then craig started saying that to me alot since u couldnt pronounce osiito :rolls eyes: :lol:

:rofl::rofl:

Gd

megafisher94
06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
ouch! my uncle got stung through his tennis shoe once, had to cut the shoe off!

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 10:56 PM
ok. this may sound funny. but if you piss on the part where you got stung it will help and also if you put coffee on it. ive gotten stung before but it doesnt really affect me that much. luckily

I heard that too. ( the pissing on the sting )

riverjoon
06-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I dont know if im immune to sculpins or not but I pissed on my hand and I had no pain.

JapanRon
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi working4golf,

Good for you on even just a few fishys.

I got zapped yesterday !! Somebody dragged me across the stern with my fish halfway up and I went to unhook the fish. Fish was upside down and I tried to get a hold of it when it dropped straight down on the top of the first joint of my index finger. Which spine got me ? The tallest spine at the front of the dorsal fin !! Normal hits don't bother me but this one was deeeeep and it took thirty minutes to stop hurting with very little swelling. Lucky I have that constitution.

thanks for the report,

JapanRon

working4golf
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Someone mentioned at the pier to pee on it.......but I dismissed this as an old tale or the guy having it confused with jellyfish. Hopefully I'll never know if that works! I tried fisihng for a little while longer, but the pain got to where I could hardly reel. Anyway, I went home and googled it and it told me that submerging the sting in VERY hot water (I'm sure coffee applies as people here mentioned) ....as hot as you can stand.... and that helps break down the proteins in the fish's venom.

That's what I did...as hot as I could stand, and a vicodin to go with the couple of cervezas I already had. :-)

It was pretty sore for a couple days, and the swelling went down completely in 36 hours or so. Even now, it feels like there is a deep splinter in the spots I got poked. Damn.....I need to eat some of those guys to see if I can get some of that immunity!