PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mary fishing and Mammoth area river/stream fishing.

snowbird
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Im kind of new to the whole threading thing but I hope some of you out there can answer a couple of my questions. This weekend, Im going to Mammoth to do a little fishing. We are going to fish lake mary in my brothers aluminum boat. Any suggestions on where to fish or what baits to use.

Anyone know how to fish a fly bobber? What kind of fly do I want?

I also thought about fishing a creek or stream while Im up there. I was told that as Im driving up the 395 before the mammoth turnoff there is a small church on the right side of the road. I should exit there and follow that road back till I run into the river. I heard thats good fishing. Is it? I only c&r but I use spinners. Is that ok there? Any suggestions?

TypeCast
06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
The green church marks the Benton Road turnoff. Go down Benton Rd until it crosses over the Owens River (can't miss it).

Upstream of this crossing is fly fishing only, downstream you may chuck your spinners.

Check out the links and articles on www.trout395.com for some basic info on the area.

TypeCast
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
At lake mary last year, a bear picked up my backpack and took it about 20 yards away where he tore it apart to get to my clif bars.

Was at dusk on the west shore by the boat dock.

Big Country
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
You guys are blowing the bear thing up too much...Pay attention to what you bring with you, how you store it and everything will be fine. Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Quick Tip - Just because your food is in a wrapper doesn't mean a bear can't smell it.

They are domesticated so yes they do know what coolers and backpacks look like, but if you store them properly, everything is typically fine.

Remember - you gotta be smarter than the average bear booboo!

As for the fly & bubble, use an olive, brown or black maribou or wooley booger or if you can find a pistol pete, that's even better. I think they have them at Culver's in Bishop & also at Convict store.

TypeCast
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
agreed BC

Been going up for 20 years and that was my only close up run in with a bear up there. They really aren't a problem.

Big Country
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Believe me, I've had my encounters with them before and it's scary. Each time though, it was my own fault or the people staying next to me because they left stuff out.

I've learned over the years and haven't had any problems in quite a while.

In the grand scheme of time (30 plus years of fishing the area) I've only had a handful of encounters with bears, one face off with a mountain lion and a near hit by a rattler. In total, not a lot of encounters with the dangerous wildlife in the area given the amount of time I've spent there.

Just be aware and have respect for what's around you...just like if you were going to a King Taco on a Friday night at 1 am.

snowbird
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
How did this thread turn into the Yogi Bear special? :Smile:

Big Country
06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I told you what flies to use when you fly & bubble! :)

greg
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
This is copied from another post by me:
I've been fishing the Mammoth Lake Basin for nearly 20 years and Lake Mary is, by far, my most favorite lake. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Excellent fishing. The largest lake in the Mammoth Lake Basin. Decent prices on tackle at the Lake Mary landing. Speak with Don Barrett (owner and spent many summers since the 1960's running the family store) and he can show you how and where to get the fish. Fishing is best from a rental boat. There are many "holes" on this lake like "the flat rock", "criss-cross trees", "Ted Reeds' Hole", "the pond", "Freddie's Hole" (but Fredddie died a few years back), etc. Don knows them all. My biggest Sierra trout came out of this lake at 7.5 pounder and my wife nailed a 9.5 pounder (if your wife fishes, she will always catch the bigger fish). Mine was on an inflated crawler and hers on basic yellow powerbait. You can rent a power boat, row boat, pontoon, kayaks from Don.

"The pond" is the area around the outlet to Mamie. From the bridge over the outlet, it extends around 200 yards into the lake. To the east side of the pond, there is a long strip of boulders (where the original Lake Mary shoreline was, after the stumps) which goes to "the flat rock" (4x4 feet in 8 feet of water). I drop my anchor next to the flat rock and throw deep into the pond.

As far as the fly and bubble, pick up clear plastic bobbers. There are 2 types of plastic bobber for this type of fishing - the cheap ones and the better ones. The cheap ones will still float when filled with water thus more difficult to fish with. The better ones sink about 1 foot every 3-5 seconds when filled with water. For the fly and bubble, take your main line followed by a bubble (the better ones) filled with water then your swivel. From your swivel, connect 4-5 feet of 2 pound fluorocarbon leader then your fly. I like using a black, brown or olive colored woolley bugger or matuka fly. Never tried a pistol pete but they look interesting...

Good luck. I also agree w BC - play it smart with the bears!

-- Greg --

Hunt4Fish
06-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Its OK to use lures above Benton Crossing Bridge, just pinch the barbs

2009 Regs:

(134) Owens River (Inyo and Mono cos.) including Pleasant Valley and Tinemaha lakes, except (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) below.
First Saturday in Mar. through Oct. 31.
5 per day 10 in possession
Nov. 1 through the Friday preceding the first Saturday in Mar.
(A) Upper Owens River from Benton Bridge road crossing upstream to Big Springs. Above Big Springs, see Deadman Creek 7.50(b)(54.5).
Last Saturday in April through Nov. 15. Maximum size limit: 16 inches total length. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.2
Nov. 16 through the Friday preceding the last Saturday in Apr. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
(B) Upper Owens River from Benton Bridge road crossing downstream to Upper Owens River fishing monument.
Saturday preceding Memorial Day through Sep. 30.
(C) Upper Owens River from fishing monument (located about 1/4 mile upstream from maximum lake level) to Crowley Lake.
Last Saturday in April through July 31.
Aug. 1 through Nov. 15. Minimum size limit: 18 inches total length. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
(D) From Pleasant Valley Dam downstream to footbridge at lower end of Pleasant Valley Campground.
Jan. 1 through Sept. 30.
Oct. 1 through Dec. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
(E) From footbridge at lower end of Pleasant Valley Campground east (downstream) 3.3 miles along Chalk Bluffs Road to the redwood sport fishing regulations sign.
All year. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

mr. trout
06-18-2009, 03:40 PM
last year i caught and released tons of fish in the streams running through the park and in the actual town.