PDA

View Full Version : Fly Line wt 4

Liteliner
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Me being a noob to fly fishing I accidently bought some 4 wt fly line for my 5/6 fly reel. Would I still be able to use it or would it be a bad match???

Liteweight
06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Read the line recommendation on your rod not the reel. The line weight should match the rod. You can put a 4 weight line on a 5/6 reel but you'll end up with over 120-150 yds of backing (guessing on the avg. 5/6 reel capacity). You should make sure that the line fills the reel in order to maximize the # of inches per revolution retrieved. In a 4 weight, the reel is usually just a place to store the line (however I have had a couple of 5-7 lb rainbows tow me around a lake for awhile :LOL: while my friend :ROFL: his a** off).
I noticed your in O.C. If your close to Bob Marriotts (intersection of 5 & 91 fwys), you should check with them. Some of the most experienced fly anglers around. There's another fly shop (or two) in O.C. but I can't think of it just now. If I remember in the next couple of days I'll get back to you.
Tight Lines.
Robert.

smokinflies
06-09-2009, 01:13 AM
return the line and get 5wt floating. many experts will recommend 5wt floating line for beginners.

it would be wise for you to follow the rods line specs since you are just starting out, but it's not a must(in most cases).

i'm currently using 5 wt line on a 6/7wt rod, and i have no problems casting.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
From my experances if your starting out ,go with the recommened line wt. Or even 1 over.