PDA

View Full Version : Marina del rey sat 6-6 w/ Geordybass

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Took the tub to Marina Del Rey Saturday morning, got on the water about 2 hrs from the am high tide on inside swing of it, the timing was good me and my deckhand Geordy remained hopeful that the fish would cooperate.

We trolled on the way out for 1 cuda each and a couple other short strikes.

Hit the T-jetty area, Geordy worked the rockline for bass and I sought out different area’s and structures by working the deeper sandy flats for Halibut.

Geordy was 1st on with a Calico…

Hookup… a nice solid 11-12” or so !~

I think he proceeded to catch about 3 more of variable size b4 I finally made a few casts into Calico country….

Hookup !…we traded hookups for 10-15 minutes
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09garycalico28.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09garycalico15.jpg

then back to the flatfish search….after an hour or so…

Hookup….flattie !....just a pancake but I found some action…
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09garyhalibut23.jpg

We drift and work our Gulp minnows…now Geordy works the flatty zones with a different ferver…

Hookup !

Geordy’s on…..and …and…..what is behind door #3 ?????

It’s a halibut !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09geordyhalibut2.jpg
A little short but a fine fish…congrats Geordy….does the gulp work ???? ha ha ha !

Another 20-30 minutes and into a second zone…

Hookup !

This time it’s me….and “Daddy likes!” it the right Flava too !

Flatfish hits da boat…..nice one……
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09garyhalibut1.jpg

So…Geordy and I decide to eat it raw while it’s heart is still beating
(lookout Bones…I didn’t release it !)

Ha ha ha ha

No really..
It hits da ice and we fished on…

Slow action overall after that…we picked at many more calicos..

Then…

Hookup….!
Geordy caught a solid Sandbass….(sorry I guess the camera got too much light !)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09geordysandbass6.jpg
Then..
Hookup !...... a fighter….Hmnn…

I think I saw Monty hall pass on by cause I swear I heard…”Whats behind door # 2 ?”

It’s….It’s…It’s
It’s a White seabass !
Gulp Lays waste to everything !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09garyWSB4.jpg

Then
I was fishing the tit of the jetty and I got this HUGE strike !

Followed by a HUGE hookup ! Drag peeled

Man…I got excited, this was HUGE…drag peeled…and peeled more as my line rapidly ran up to the surface !

I thought I might have a huge WSB but all of the sudden….a smaller model seal porpoises out on the top….he repeatedly surfaces as my line snapped !

That sucka felt some STEEL ! as he struck the Gulp jig….AND it WAS a strike, it didn’t take a fish I had hooked, he hit the jig !

Dayam ! ….Gulp !....everything eats it !
We watched that seal frantically surface and fly out of the water for at least 2000 yards before he went out of sight…I guess he was trying to shake the Gagagaksu jighead !

Oh well….never caught one on a jig before…go figure !

More calico picking and then back to the Halibut zones ….
I believe I got 2 more pancakes then we went and trolled hardbaits for Cudas !

The cuda have way thinned out since the bad weather moved through, hopefully they will return and most were of the smaller variety that we caught (we didn’t take pics of the cudas)

We would hookup every 5 minutes or so and had a few double hookups
We probably caught 10-15 cudas each…

Then while I just finished my double cheeseburger that Geordy bought me (thanks by the way !)

BENDO !........................a HUGE bendo !

Zzzzzz! Drag peeled as I threw the cheeseburger down and grabbed the rod out of the holder….!

A few seconds into the fight the line went slack….No….No……ohh no !

The fish cut it clean…my deductions conclude that means this fish must have had the “whole”lure in it’s mouth in order to cut me off….Dayam !

I think it must have been a big white Seabass or a huge Cuda…I’ll never know but if anyone catches a huge fish with a LC staysee deepdiver in it’s mouth we’ll know then..

We fished on, I caught a YFC on a hardbait as well ..

Geordy trolled on and …

Hookup ! Zzzzz!

Seemed like a REAL NICE cuda !

Unfortunately that sucka shook off…Dayam !

And another White Seabass on the gulp (sorry no pic)

Oh yeah…almost forgot, we had “Freddy” the pelican hang’in out for a while, Geordy gave him his mackerel and he became his best friend !

I was luring him to the boat by waving a gulp to and frow…geordy took a couple pics !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09freddy17.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MarinawGeordy6-6-09freddy28.jpg
and we called it a day.

Good fun and in bad weather conditions too !, the bite should get even better with a decent weather flow.

We ended up catching:

Geordy:
1 Halibut
1 Sandbass
Many many Calico’s (too many to accurately count)
1 Mackeral
10-15 Cuda (1 lost TOAD !)

Gary
3-4 Halibut (Sorry cannot remember..getting old !...ha ha ha !)
Many many Calico’s
2 White Seabass
1YF croaker
1 Seal (not landed-ha ha ha)
10-15 Cuda
1 Mystery Feesh – lost !! (Seabass or Cuda-toad !)

Till the next slayfest…
Gary

P.P.S.

We also saw a small whale 15' or so...heading out of the harbor...pretty cool stuff...he was too far away to get a pic but he surface 4-5 times...saweet !

Santa Fe Eric
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
D:OMG!:NG!

That's letting them feel the steel right there brother!

Good job fellas!

kpn
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Good job out there guys. It's about 3 days since last time I fish :Wink:.

KPN.

bones
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
God Job G-boyz........ Glad 2 C that MDR is still on the chew. I got to admit Gary.....You are a very good fisherman.You do need to smile a little bit more in your pics though!!
Recent conditions have been less than favorable from the surf. That legal halibut needed to die anyways Gary since the high quality net job split the crap out of it's tail....LOL
Kinda sad that even the little ones like the one that G-boy is holding will eventually die from tail rot. Ya Know.........The better quality rubber nets only cost about 6 dollars more than a bucket of gulp baits and they are much easier on the fish not to mention your rigs don't get fouled up in the netting as well. I have been talking with a friend who used to work up north at a halibut hatchery and he told me that they used to put Neosporin on the injured halibut tails to give the halibut a decent chance to ward off the tail rot and following fatal infections.I know...it sounds funny but it's really true! An infection has got to be a screwed up way to die before a seal eats you.Imagine if you had two infected feet that wound up killing you!
Just a tip fellas.....If you aren't willing to invest in a rubber net or a 20 dollar lip gripper than get yourself a bucket of neosporin to increase the chances that those shorties get a chance to survive and grow.
All that aside......Nice mixed bag from the harbor!
I worked my arse off for three spotties,one sandy,one pancake butt and a small slimestick all on the dropshot yesterday but it took me over 8 hours.

doyoufishmuch
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice job guys! Way to go. :Applause:

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
God Job G-boyz........ Glad 2 C that MDR is still on the chew. I got to admit Gary.....You are a very good fisherman.You do need to smile a little bit more in your pics though!!
Recent conditions have been less than favorable from the surf. That legal halibut needed to die anyways Gary since the high quality net job split the crap out of it's tail....LOL
Kinda sad that even the little ones like the one that G-boy is holding will eventually die from tail rot. Ya Know.........The better quality rubber nets only cost about 6 dollars more than a bucket of gulp baits and they are much easier on the fish not to mention your rigs don't get fouled up in the netting as well. I have been talking with a friend who used to work up north at a halibut hatchery and he told me that they used to put Neosporin on the injured halibut tails to give the halibut a decent chance to ward off the tail rot and following fatal infections.I know...it sounds funny but it's really true! An infection has got to be a screwed up way to die before a seal eats you.Imagine if you had two infected feet that wound up killing you!
Just a tip fellas.....If you aren't willing to invest in a rubber net or a 20 dollar lip gripper than get yourself a bucket of neosporin to increase the chances that those shorties get a chance to survive and grow.
All that aside......Nice mixed bag from the harbor!
I worked my arse off for three spotties,one sandy,one pancake butt and a small slimestick all on the dropshot yesterday but it took me over 8 hours.
Thanks for the commentary but just so it's on the record, if the fish wasn't way past legal status I wouldnt have used the high quality net I grabbed for a buck at the 99 cent store, Geordy's feesh was not netted as I could tell it was not legal, I've got a great sense of the length of the fish at the boats edge so I tail grabbed his and the others we caught of smaller nature.

Yes the tail split on the one I netted and subsequently Fillet'd and he bled quite profusely as well while I did it !~.

In addition:
Thanks for the documentary on applying cremes, I'm glad your knowledgeable in that area, I'm also glad to say I won't be expanding my expertise in the fishing world in the realm of applying cremes or lotions.
But thank you for the consideration you took by supplying me all that info.

I thank you for the props and the wonderfull information on nets and their affects but you might want to be sure the lecture is needed before one is given.

Till the next time..
Gary

Jbro
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
smart ***.

GeordyBass
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
smart ***.
Who are you talking about???

bones
06-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Ha HA HA...... Creams and lotions are the way to go GMAN......If your partner in crime used more moisturizer his 15 year old face wouldn't look like it's 25....LOL
Quick question Gary.......... How big was that "Way past legal status" flattie?

GeordyBass
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
It was FUN fishing with ya Gary!!!
We made fun of everyone we know,made fun of each other and SLAYED!!!!:Twisted:

It was nice to fish the day before I needed a fishing license!lol,,,thats my mommy's b-day present for me,,,lol,,,

Were gonna go again Gary boy,But in the Whaler!!!Woohoo!!!:Envious:

Wingnut
06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice trip out there birthday boys! Geordy, did you get another boat for your birthday??? :LOL: :Wink: :Envious:

crappiemike
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
another good report on one of your harbor missions!!!!

nice little seabass!!!!

cm

Seng90806
06-09-2009, 12:29 AM
great going out there guys...look like a very productive day out there....Geordy you shaved dude and now u look like you're 16...lol

BIGRED KILLA
06-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the pics and report Gary looks like you and Geordy got in some nice in shore action way to go nice little SB to i wonder if that was a hatchery one?. Now go make some fresh hali tacos!!.

Bigred

TroutOnly
06-09-2009, 06:31 AM
great job again gary and junior student,I LIKE YOURE KILLER GLARE AT THE CAMERA,,,,lol,,,,,,t/o

DEADROOTS
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM
You guys did do well 4 sho. I went last night and didnt do as well as you two. I got too many short strikes. Geordy your too old, you should retire from fishing.
or at least stick to the bait n wait:ROFL::ROFL: Did anyone beat you up for your b-day yet? :Smack::Dead Horse: Bring your life jacket next time!

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Ha HA HA...... Creams and lotions are the way to go GMAN......If your partner in crime used more moisturizer his 15 year old face wouldn't look like it's 25....LOL

fish envy ? or is it somethin else

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Ha HA HA......

Using a micrometer….I go by the standard where if it is .0000055th of an inch over, it’s a keeper, ha ha ha…

NOT !

LMAO !

That fish easily went WAY over legal ..now you want to imply otherwise ? now that your little world has been called out !

OR maybe you can tell me otherwise from an otherwise not so great camera angled photo !

Maybe I am taking undersize fish again like your other haters have implied…Hmnn.

maybe I don’t know what I’m doing ?....ha ha ha Maybe I don’t really care what U guys say or think cause in your eyes if I take 1 fish then I am a criminal !!!

I really don’t know when U guys will learn…you crack me up, do you really think that I impact things so greatly it warrants you going out of your way to hate on me…

OR do you REALLY think that attempting to lecture me will ACTUALLY change my line of thinking and apply Largemouth Bass catch and Release logic to every single species that has gills ?

Damn dude, your thought process has gotten old by the time you were done typing..

I guess you don’t ever buy a fish sandwich or have Halibut meal at a restaurant cause if you do or have…you have killed another valuable fish that could have grown much bigger….ha ha ha ha…get over it

Sorry to hear you don’t have better things to do but hate but feel free to continue if that makes you sleep better at night.

You once said (or your alter ego, I’m not sure which online character I am addressing lately):
My line of thought process is a dying breed, well if that’s true I guess I may as well go out with a bang ! so have a nice hot cup of STFU

You know what kind of fisherman I am, I’ve been doing it since I was just knee high so I will continue to slay away as I always have and I will continue to slap back if you persist at jabbing at me.

Theres no question you don’t like me…that’s obvious and obviously the feeling is mutual so why not be adult about it and just steer clear of me or my posts and I’ll do the same but I won’t stand Idly by and let you trash me in your snide indirect mannerisms.

Enough said

CAPT'N
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I predict a "LOCKED POST" is coming.................soooon!

Play nice ladies...........

By the way nice feeesshh

Jaysuuun
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Nice work on the WSB and the flatties. :Cool:

GeordyBass
06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Bones' Secret Identity revealed?
Seems more like little MikeLucas,,,lol,,,

Ray Lopez
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
good job you two sounds like a great day on the water.