PDA

View Full Version : Seah Horse Overnight Fishing

RamboBoy
06-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I got there at Dana Point in early 4:00 p.m. before departure at 8:00 p.m. I walked around at the Dana Point jetties and asked the people if they did catch fish halibut, perch, and other species, LOL. NADA!

I got on aboard the Sea Horse boat, and then get some sleep well until we got there at Catalina Island around 4:00 a.m. There was many seals were eating our sardine and live squid bait. Few guys got hooks up on Seals, LOL. Poor Seal! It snapped the test line from their poles. Two guys got some big stingrays, and it released. Nada catch fish, I go back to sleep some more. When the boat moved and stopped, we fish for calico bass. Few of them caught calico bass, it was constantly biting, but watafa they moved to other spot for other species (sheepshead, calico, or whatever). :mad: Eventually it is like about one hour moving different spot.

I caught one sheepshead, and three rock fish (I don't know what is kind of fish). The California DFG regulation said must Limit 2 bags of rock, watafa I thought 10 limits, but not. Oh well, I give one fish to the little boyz. They are happy to have extra fish for them, more fillets, LOL.

That is all my report! Here are some pictures.

Forgot to add to say, "NO YELLOWTAIL" at Catalina Island :Sad:

hakaveli
06-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I got there at Dana Point in early 4:00 p.m. before departure at 8:00 p.m. I walked around at the Dana Point jetties and asked the people if they did catch fish halibut, perch, and other species, LOL. NADA!

I got on aboard the Sea Horse boat, and then get some sleep well until we got there at Catalina Island around 4:00 a.m. There was many seals were eating our sardine and live squid bait. Few guys got hooks up on Seals, LOL. Poor Seal! It snapped the test line from their poles. Two guys got some big stingrays, and it released. Nada catch fish, I go back to sleep some more. When the boat moved and stopped, we fish for calico bass. Few of them caught calico bass, it was constantly biting, but watafa they moved to other spot for other species (sheepshead, calico, or whatever). :mad: Eventually it is like about one hour moving different spot.

I caught one sheepshead, and three rock fish (I don't know what is kind of fish). The California DFG regulation said must Limit 2 bags of rock, watafa I thought 10 limits, but not. Oh well, I give one fish to the little boyz. They are happy to have extra fish for them, more fillets, LOL.

That is all my report! Here are some pictures.

Forgot to add to say, "NO YELLOWTAIL" at Catalina Island :Sad:

Nice going there those fish are Salmon Groupers aka Bocaccio limit 2 per person

victor101
06-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Its always nice to get out to Catalina. Good job on that sheephead...I tried making Sheephead ceviche for the first time and oh man.......:Thumbs Up: :Big Smile: Best ceviche ive had in a while. Those rockfish you caught are Bocaccio/Salmon Grouper. There is a two fish bag limit on that species of rockfish. With other rockfish 10 per bag.

Poor seal? pa que se le quite al wey! LOL

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Nice going there those fish are Salmon Groupers aka Bocaccio limit 2 per person

Thanks for the comment.. Yeah bocaccio is a part of salmon groupers. I didn't know it is 2 limits per person. I was told to the crew I thought it is 10 limits, but I found out a DFG saltwater booklet. Oh well. dayum. ha ha

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Its always nice to get out to Catalina. Good job on that sheephead...I tried making Sheephead ceviche for the first time and oh man.......:Thumbs Up: :Big Smile: Best ceviche ive had in a while. Those rockfish you caught are Bocaccio/Salmon Grouper. There is a two fish bag limit on that species of rockfish. With other rockfish 10 per bag.

Poor seal? pa que se le quite al wey! LOL

Thanks...I heard the sheephead is the best taste...It was my first time catch I am happy ha ha

I didn't know it is two limits per person, So I gave one fish tp little boyz. They are cool.

hakaveli
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks...I heard the sheephead is the best taste...It was my first time catch I am happy ha ha

I didn't know it is two limits per person, So I gave one fish tp little boyz. They are cool.

those 3 u had weren't sheepheads. The black and red is a sheephead the others are bocaccio's

fish4keep
06-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Here's a little advice for everyone...... Best not to keep it if you're not certain of the specie, size, and/or bag limit. Better to come home with no fish than come home with a fat citation......

FISHINGBEE
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like the yellows have gone away for a few. Never give up next trip could be the one.

FISHINGBEE

JapanRon
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi RamboBoy,

Very nice report !! Soundsl like you got some action and Catalina is always a great place to spend fishing time ... catching or not !!

JapanRon

That Dang Guy
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Rock fish limits have always been confusing to people. You're allowed up to 10 rockfish per day as your bag limit. Two of those ten can be Boccacios (It used to only be one).

So if you have 2 Boccacios, you can have any combination of 8 other rockfish.
Or if you have 0 Boccacios, you can have any combination of 10 rock fish.

Ling cod do not count towards this daily 10 rockfish limit.

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
those 3 u had weren't sheepheads. The black and red is a sheephead the others are bocaccio's

I know I caught one sheephead (black and red), but I can't keep three bocaccio fish. This must be 2 limit per of bocaccio, so I give one bocaccio to the little boyz.

You are right, just found out booklet 2010 saltwater.

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's a little advice for everyone...... Best not to keep it if you're not certain of the specie, size, and/or bag limit. Better to come home with no fish than come home with a fat citation......

The crews and captain know the size, species, and bag limit. No problemo!

It is important for everyone read the saltwater booklet from CA DFG regulations.

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the yellows have gone away for a few. Never give up next trip could be the one.

FISHINGBEE

Right on! probably yellow tail will be gone from Catalina or Clamente to San Diego/Mexico. I will get em soon.

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi RamboBoy,

Very nice report !! Soundsl like you got some action and Catalina is always a great place to spend fishing time ... catching or not !!

JapanRon

Thanks for your comment!

RamboBoy
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Rock fish limits have always been confusing to people. You're allowed up to 10 rockfish per day as your bag limit. Two of those ten can be Boccacios (It used to only be one).

So if you have 2 Boccacios, you can have any combination of 8 other rockfish.
Or if you have 0 Boccacios, you can have any combination of 10 rock fish.

Ling cod do not count towards this daily 10 rockfish limit.

I know I'm confused now I get it. Your statement helps me understanding this clarify. :Smile: