PDA

View Full Version : Avet SX

lalo56
06-07-2009, 12:34 PM
What do you guys think of the Avet SX MC? I been reading on it after someone suggested it and it looks like something with my skill level can use. Will be used for local and perhaps off San Diego to throw some jigs out.

What do you guys think?
What rod would be good with this reel?

Thanks.

Nessie Hunter
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Avet (IMHO) makes the Best stuff out there, wish I could afford a few (dozen)......

They (Avet) are as pretty inside as they are outside also...

Anytime you 'brake' a reel, it will diminish the casting distance, Mag or any other brakes will do the same thing...
BUT Mag brakes are the best IMHO..
Should be easy to learn casting, and once you start to get better, the brakes should slowly come off..
Optimum is NO brakes and a little thumb control. Best distance by far.....

lalo56
06-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Avet (IMHO) makes the Best stuff out there, wish I could afford a few (dozen)......

They (Avet) are as pretty inside as they are outside also...

Anytime you 'brake' a reel, it will diminish the casting distance, Mag or any other brakes will do the same thing...
BUT Mag brakes are the best IMHO..
Should be easy to learn casting, and once you start to get better, the brakes should slowly come off..
Optimum is NO brakes and a little thumb control. Best distance by far.....

So it should be good for the fishing i want to do?

Thanks
Eddie

victor101
06-07-2009, 02:54 PM
So it should be good for the fishing i want to do?

Thanks
Eddie

Yes...thats what he meant...The SX is small enough to fish for bass, and powerful enough to pull on a yellowtail. once you get the hang of the SX with the MC on setting #1, you will be ready for non cast controlled conventional reels. It will be like a training reel. LOL. You wont be disapointed.

lalo56
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes...thats what he meant...The SX is small enough to fish for bass, and powerful enough to pull on a yellowtail. once you get the hang of the SX with the MC on setting #1, you will be ready for non cast controlled conventional reels. It will be like a training reel. LOL. You wont be disapointed.

Thanks. I took your suggestion and decided to get it. What would be a good rod for this to toss jigs.

Thanks
Eddie

victor101
06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks. I took your suggestion and decided to get it. What would be a good rod for this to toss jigs.

Thanks
Eddie

What kind of jigs will you be tossing? I have my SX on a seeker inshore series rod model BCSW 808-8' T rated 15(20)25. That will be good for flylining/ shallow water dropperloop/ tossing megabait jigs.

lalo56
06-07-2009, 04:24 PM
What kind of jigs will you be tossing? I have my SX on a seeker inshore series rod model BCSW 808-8' T rated 15(20)25. That will be good for flylining/ shallow water dropperloop/ tossing megabait jigs.

I got some megabait jigs ranging from 2.5-4.5oz.

Ricky-Ray
06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Yep what Nessie said. The SX is an awesome little reel (there's a reason why I own 4 of them). Paired with a Calstar 800M and you will basically be able to handle just about anything in the so cal waters.

lalo56
06-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Yep what Nessie said. The SX is an awesome little reel (there's a reason why I own 4 of them). Paired with a Calstar 800M and you will basically be able to handle just about anything in the so cal waters.

Thanks. Thats what im getting next. Im going to place the order from Anglers Center.

Where can i get the calstar 800M? I been searching but not many sites that i trust have them.

lalo56
06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Just placed my order with Anglers Center for the reel. I still need to find a place to order the Calstar 800M. Anyone selling one? If you are hit me up, Im in Sun Valley, so has to be local so i can pick up.

Thanks
Eddie

That Dang Guy
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
The only thing that sucks about the MC version, is that level 1 is still pretty strong when you become proficent. They are never totally off.

lalo56
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
The only thing that sucks about the MC version, is that level 1 is still pretty strong when you become proficent. They are never totally off.

Yeah, i read that. Its okay when i learn and get to level one i most likely get another reel which i can thumb and control myself and use the free spool. I then will use my saltist, saltist is currently being used for bottom fishing.

Thanks
Eddie

lalo56
06-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I love my curado 201e7. Cast very good and i get minimal backlash. I loosen the brake as i get better.

jplee3
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Agreed. The SX is an awesome reel. And packs so much punch for its *tiny* form factor. I have an older SX and one of those newer two-speed SXes. Still not sure about the practicality of the two speeds on such a small little reel. But nonetheless, it's nice fishing with. Real easy to handle. I have it paired with the standard 8'0 American Seekers (270H) that you can find at Sports Authority. Those seem to play well with it. I caught my first yellow off an Avet SX/270H combo back in May '08. It performed very well.

lalo56
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I should get my avet sx mc lefthand tomorrow. Then going to my local shop and have them suggest a rod and buy it from them.

I cast VERY WELL WITH MY CURADO 201e7. I cast against wind and it goes far. The thing is on a party boat i dont have the space to cast so i screw up with bigger reels 'cause i cant thumb them as well and they are right handed so im not used to it.

lalo56
06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Agreed. The SX is an awesome reel. And packs so much punch for its *tiny* form factor. I have an older SX and one of those newer two-speed SXes. Still not sure about the practicality of the two speeds on such a small little reel. But nonetheless, it's nice fishing with. Real easy to handle. I have it paired with the standard 8'0 American Seekers (270H) that you can find at Sports Authority. Those seem to play well with it. I caught my first yellow off an Avet SX/270H combo back in May '08. It performed very well.

What were you fishing with though? IRON? BAIT?

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Im sorry....IMO, i think the 800M is better suited for an MXJ or MXL....just my opinion.....

youll get it down Eddie...just PRACTICE!

GD

lalo56
06-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Im sorry....IMO, i think the 800M is better suited for an MXJ or MXL....just my opinion.....

youll get it down Eddie...just PRACTICE!

GD

What do you think is best suited for the SX as far Rod?

Thanks
Eddie

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 02:19 PM
What do you think is best suited for the SX as far Rod?

Thanks
Eddie

again, just IMO, the sx is more of a 15-20 lb reel...dont get me wrong, you can use spectra backing and fish heavier....ive heard guys have caught huge tuna on them....

So for the SX, i would fish more of an 800XL-800XLH, or even 800L...

Thats a perfect 20 lb bait reel.....again...just MO

GD

ghetto dad
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM

yeah..i heard that too, if I an understanding you correctly....guys that can really cast far......they cant cast as far with an MC on 1 as they can with a standard non-mc....

SO basically, once you become proficient....get a non-MC model....

GD

Ricky-Ray
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
MXJ with the 800M, much better setup. You can fish 25/30 easily on that.

The SX I have it on an 800L and fish 20/25 on it. I had short flouro topshot's of 25# tied straight to 65# spectra and I was able to slay 30-40# yellowfin's at guadalupe last year.

lalo56
06-13-2009, 09:41 PM
MXJ with the 800M, much better setup. You can fish 25/30 easily on that.

The SX I have it on an 800L and fish 20/25 on it. I had short flouro topshot's of 25# tied straight to 65# spectra and I was able to slay 30-40# yellowfin's at guadalupe last year.

What do you think of the SX on the 800xl cork handle tossing light jigs?

Ricky-Ray
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
What do you think of the SX on the 800xl cork handle tossing light jigs?

It will do the job just remember the 800xl is rate 10-25, and the 800l is rated 15-30. The only problem I see with the xl is only if you run into something big.

lalo56
06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
It will do the job just remember the 800xl is rate 10-25, and the 800l is rated 15-30. The only problem I see with the xl is only if you run into something big.

Thanks RR. Good because thats what the guy at Johnny's recommended me and i got that. Spent more than what i wanted but i didnt want to be dissapointed. Its much lighter too.

I will buy something heavier next year. For this year, i have spent enough on gear.

Thanks
Eddie

jplee3
06-19-2009, 12:40 AM
What were you fishing with though? IRON? BAIT?

I was actually fishing bait. I'm assuming, from the sound of it, that you're interested in throwing irons. In this case it may not be the best reel for that. I like the Daiwa Saltists for throwing irons. You can definitely throw irons with the Avets but it requires some practice and getting used to.