PDA

View Full Version : Nice Goldens and Brookies

Loco
06-07-2009, 03:06 AM
I caught these Memorial Day Weekend at Laurel Creek. Access via a 4x4 road or nice hike. Caught on size 18 tiger midge.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/CIMG1027-1.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/CIMG1060-2.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv51/locojsmizzy/CIMG1021.jpg

tpfishnfool
06-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Very nice fish from laurel area. That place has been hammered these past few years.

tacklejunkie
06-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Nice fishies.
Thanks for the spot :Wink:

Skyler
06-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice fishies.
Thanks for the spot :Wink:

Indeed, lol.

Loco
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I haven't ever seen anyone fishing there. I'm sure they do though. You literally get a brookie every cast. You do have to get your fly under brush though. It is really tough to get to without 4x4 or a good lungs. This is from the big meadow below the lakes. Has anyone ever tried the lake? I didn't catch anything there, but the record Golden came out of there. I like to 4x4 up there.

Sierra_Smitty
06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I haven't ever seen anyone fishing there. I'm sure they do though. You literally get a brookie every cast. You do have to get your fly under brush though. It is really tough to get to without 4x4 or a good lungs. This is from the big meadow below the lakes. Has anyone ever tried the lake? I didn't catch anything there, but the record Golden came out of there. I like to 4x4 up there.

I'm surprised that golden was in the creek below the lake - only seen brookies there before. That's good to know.

The record golden came out of Virginia Lake not Laurel.

The upper lake has some very nice fish, but they're extremely hard to catch.....the creek in between the two is good though.

Loco
06-07-2009, 11:30 AM
You know your stuff man, cause that is the first golden i have ever seen in there too. It stuck out like a sore thumb. It was actually funny to see it cruising up and down the creek thinking he was hidden! It is a white and brown bottom creek as opposed to the reddish and gold bottoms of their usual habitat.

Trout-Slayer77
06-08-2009, 10:15 AM
beautiful golden and brookie !!

Crawler
06-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Nice! Planning on going up there this coming weekend for the first time. :Big Grin: This is probably a dumb question, but, the road is clear of snow all the way to the lakes now eh?

Loco
06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Probably not. I haven't been past the meadows yet this year. You can't really see the road after that. If you call Mammoth Ranger Station, they may be able to tell you. You will need a high clearance vehicle and if you have a large turning radius you may want to bring someone to spot for you as there is a rather scary 3 or 4 point turn near the lake. 4x4 helps. This is a great place. Remember to catch and release.

Crawler
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Probably not. I haven't been past the meadows yet this year. You can't really see the road after that. If you call Mammoth Ranger Station, they may be able to tell you. You will need a high clearance vehicle and if you have a large turning radius you may want to bring someone to spot for you as there is a rather scary 3 or 4 point turn near the lake. 4x4 helps. This is a great place. Remember to catch and release.

I called the Mammoth Ranger station this morning, he said the road is almost definitly not open yet. hmmmmmmm Where to go this weekend. :Neutral: