PDA

View Full Version : Corona 6-5-09

SueMarie301
06-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone, spent the evening out at Corona Lake with a few friends. It was really slow on the just about everything. I was only there for a few hours (4-5 hours??). Caught a few crappie and in then around the last hour or two, ended up with a 17.5lb and 8.7lb carp. Caught on night crawlers of all things. I've never tried for carp, but my friend set me up. I literally watched this carp play with my line for almost 30 minutes. I caught the 8.7lb on and my friend caught the 17.5lb one.

Don't mind the goofy look in the picture. I'm girly so I wasn't about to stick my hands in this guys gills so my friend held it over his head for me and next thing you know the fish spooged on his head LOL. So my sister snapped the picture as I was lmao.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/Corona%20Lake%206-5-09/1244286776.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/Corona%20Lake%206-5-09/1244286780.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/Corona%20Lake%206-5-09/1244286783.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x234/suemarie301/Corona%20Lake%206-5-09/1244286786.jpg

Happy Fishing!
Sue...

saintarv
06-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Good job Sue!

DocHolliday
06-06-2009, 09:06 PM
nice! thanks for sharing your day. Thats a sweet carp!

SueMarie301
06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you Saint and Doc!

Up until then, the largest fish I've caught was a 3.7lb catfish. This 8.7 blows it out of the water!

Sue...

Troutslayer620
06-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Nice job on catching the carp! Are you really going to eat them? That is like eating Koi or Goldfish! I just catch and release them to fight another day. Don't mean to bash you, i mean if you like bottom fish, eat catfish, they taste better:EyePop:.

Recipe for Tasty carp!
Its very easy...
Take 2 large carp filets (one fish)
Get one large bowl/bucket of horse manure
take each filet and cake the manure around it nice and thick
Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes
let it cool... then throw away the carp and just eat the manure!

haha... Works great on gold fish and Koi too~

SueMarie301
06-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey! Whats wrong with eating Carp?!?

I'll remember that recipe next time I make Carp manure soup...would you like the recipe?

:ROFL: Actually I don't really like fish to eat. I think the only fish I've eaten were tilapia, sole, and halibut. There were ok, but could only eat a piece or two. I guess I should have mentioned in the post that the big guy (17.5lbs) was released and the little guy (8.7lbs) was given to some guy at the lake who DOES eat them... I think?? If he doesn't eat them, I don't wanna know what he does with them!

I hear a lot of people at the lakes say, if you catch a carp toss it in the trash. Are Carp invasive pests?

Sue...

Troutslayer620
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey! Whats wrong with eating Carp?!?

I'll remember that recipe next time I make Carp manure soup...would you like the recipe?

:ROFL: Actually I don't really like fish to eat. I think the only fish I've eaten were tilapia, sole, and halibut. There were ok, but could only eat a piece or two. I guess I should have mentioned in the post that the big guy (17.5lbs) was released and the little guy (8.7lbs) was given to some guy at the lake who DOES eat them... I think?? If he doesn't eat them, I don't wanna know what he does with them!

I hear a lot of people at the lakes say, if you catch a carp toss it in the trash. Are Carp invasive pests?

Sue...

That is cool, I didn't mean to bash you, it is just weird that Carp are from the Koi/Goldfish family and they originate from china. The carp we have here are not very good eating since they are usually in the lakes for a very long time and eat all kind of crap so they are really not good to eat. Glad you tossed them back to fight another day. They are fun to catch because they give a good fight!

SueMarie301
06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Nah I didn't see it as bashing. You asked a legit question I just neglected to mention what I did with them afterwards hehehe.

When I managed to get the fish in, the first words out of my mouth were, "That's a ****** goldfish!"

I have heard the same thing about Carp not being good eating. But to each their own I guess...

Thanks for all the responses :)

Sue...

CASTAWAY
06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Nice going. That is a huge Carp.....:Thumbs Up:

Santa Fe Eric
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Way to go Sue!

Nice Carp!

Marley
06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
That's a nice fish, Sue. They're a lot of fun to catch, fight just like a freshwater version of yellowtail. I have a hard time with the smell once I get them out of the water so I just let them go to fight another day. They tend to be invasive but their real issue is that they keep the water silted/muddied by their feeding actions. You won't find a lot of clean-water lakes that have large populations of carp.
Nonetheless, I betcha you had a blast catching them and it sounds like they went on to noble endings. How much better does it get?