PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Restuarant Guide

Big Country
06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
The way that the Jack's post spun as a thread, I thought it would be cool to see what everyone likes throughout the region. I'm always into find a new spot to try. Besides fisherman and the best eaters in the world, so who would know better than ourselves. For the sake of not embarassing youself, please keep McDonald's, Jack in the box, etc. off of the list.

Mine would go like this...

Breakfast - Village Cafe in Bishop, the Stove in Mammoth, Silver Lake resturant in the loop, Nicely's in Lee Vining and the Sportsman Inn in Bridgeport, unless I'm at Upper Twin and then I'll eat at the restaurant in Mono Village.

Lunch - Tiger Bar in the loop, the resturant/bar at Tom's place or the Mobile Station in Lee Vining.

Dinner - The Virginia Settlement resturant or the pizza place in Bridgeport, the Mobile in Lee Vining, Carson Peak in the Loop, Roberto's in Mammoth, the resturant at Convict, Yamatani's or BBQ Bill's in Bishop.

Drinking - Tiger Bar

Drinking in a Snow Storm - the Bridgeport Inn or Convict Lake

billy b
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
The Carson Peak has been my favorite since 1969
I'm going to hit the Village Cafe middle of next week. I've been a Jacks fan since the 50's
Love the cafe at Silver Lake ... especially if I can park my bride next to the window with the creek outside.
Guess I haven't hit the Mobil station at the right times. Or I'm the weird one. Everybody talks about it including June Lake locals ... seen some big crowds ... it's gotta be good.
Just ate at Virginia Settlement and loved the atmosphere (if you have a lady with you) ...service was great ... food was average.
Stop at the taco stand in Bport sometime if you're into a fast food mode ... and some outdoor air.
BTW, if you're coming up this far ... try Walker Burgers in Walker (between Bport and the turnoff to Tahoe ... on 395
I guess the Lone Pine Cafe went south?

I've wondered why we don't have the Wmaster make up a site for Bed and Meal recommendations ... sharing of info? Could be as useful as fishing tips and reports ... almost ...

Tiger Bar for lunch ... or an evening at a sports bar atmoshpere is cool

I'm not familiar with Nicely's in Lee Vining ... and wasn't too thrilled with Bill's BBQ ... but a lot of people recommended it. I'm the weird one again.

Rubble
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
And don't forget Grumpy's in Mammoth for lunch or dinner......

The food is good & the gameroom is a good place to unwind with a couple cold ones after a long days fishing.

The scenery aint bad either......:Wink:

greg
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I spend 20 days a year skiing at Mammoth and at least another 20 days fishing the Eastern Sierra's. Here's my list.

Breakfast:
> The Breakfast Club in Mammoth - good food, large portions but during the ski season, there may be up to an hour wait (just like the Stove)
> Schat's in Bishop - great bakery (delivers most of the baked good to the Mammoth shop)
> Jacks in Bishop - next door to Mac's Tackle
> Ranch House in Olancha- I know everyone passed this place on the 395. Huge portions of some great eats. Also has a great lunch menu...

Lunch:
> Nik N Willie's in Mammoth and Bishop - Great oven roasted sandwiches (kicks a** on Quiznos)
> Hot Chicks in Mammoth - take out BBQ ckicken, tri-tip, ribs, etc. Good stuff in the same shopping center as Shogun
> Ranch House in Olancha - see above
> the Mobil Station in Lee Vining - I like their lunch menu

Pizza:
> Giovanni's in Mammoth - hands down here...

Best Happy Hour:
> Whiskey Creek in Mammoth - the best happy hour menu
> Grumpy's in Mammoth - the best sports bar (does the Tiger Bar qualify as a sports bar?). Games for the kids (but bring lots of quarters)

Dinner:
> Nevados in Mammoth - tops Convict Lake or the Double Eagle on June Lake Loop for taste but is just as pricey!
> The Mogul in Mammoth - still has the best (freshest and best selection) salad bar in Mammoth. Also, IMO,the best prime rib in town.
> Roberto's in Mammoth - the best Mexican food in the Eastern Sierra's
> Yamatani's in Bishop - being Japanese, I know Japanese food...

kaiyasdad
06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
also, dont forget to get a sandwich at schats bakery. and while your at it get some cheese bread to go.

Sparky70
06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Try the Ranch-House in Olancea when heading north on hwy 395...Good..Good

TypeCast
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Grumpy's food went downhill as soon as they moved to the current location, but ill agree about the scenery

pc2mac
06-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Is the Restaurant at Convict Lake worth the money? My girlfriend will be coming up with me in a couple of weeks and I want to take her to at least one nice dinner....

jmurillo74
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Mammoth: The Stove, Angels, The Breakfast Club, and the pizza place across the street from Angles, I forgot it's name. That pizza place also has a cool bar upstairs.

Bishop: The Pizza Factory, Bill's BBQ, and Jack's.

Saddlebag Lake also has a good little kitchen at thier store.

I've also heard they have good food at the Mobil station as you turn off 395 to go up Tioga Pass, anybody eaten there?

Also forgot the name of the place in Lee Vinning that was good, eat there last year, east side of 395, outside patio, bar on one side of the restuarant, good tri tip sanwiches.

billy b
06-06-2009, 08:45 AM
If it's not too far, you can't go wrong with taking your special lady to the Carson Peak Inn ... between Gull Lake and Silver Lake. Been doing it for 40 years. Nice, quiet, not noisy or lively if that's what you're looking for?

tpfishnfool
06-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Tioga Toomies ! Best eats in the east ! Breakfast , Lunch or Dinner.
Jacks was good until a year or so ago ?
Nicelys sucks !
Lone Pine cafe went south big time !
Good pies at the Pizza Factory. And cheap pitchers of beer.
Carson Peak very good.
Convict Rest. Great food great service.
Whisky Creek way overated.
Bridgport inn, Great old style bar.
Tiger bar, good place to get trashed and staggar back to the room at gull lake lodge.

pc2mac
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep that in mind.

jmurillo74, the Whoa Nelli Delli at the Mobile Gas Mart at the foot of Tioga Pass serves fantastic food! Here is the menu: http://www.thesierraweb.com/tiogagasmart/deli.html

Where else in the Sierra has Buffalo Meatloaf, lobster taquitos, and Ribs. Sometimes they will have rack of lamb too. The burgers and steaks are great as well, they get some really good beef.

Pete

dragracer
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Second the Whoa Nelly Deli.... Who would expect food like that at a Mobil Mart?

For a decent fastfood burger, how about Mono Cone in Lee Vining.....

DreStyle
07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I was going to suggest the Alpenrose Restaurant in Mammoth if you are in the mood for the whole table cloth and cloth napkins type meal, but I looked it up and they're under new management. It was good when I happened upon it a few years ago, hopefully that hasn't changed. Others have already mentioned the other places I would recommend (Schatt's, Tom's Place, Sportsman's Inn, and the Mobile Station in Lee Vining).

billy b
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Drag Racer hit on a good one... some local residents I see once in a while and the former principal of the school said that Mono Cone was the best eating in town ... and added that the Mobil Station, nearby, was the best in the Sierras.... FWIW