PDA

View Full Version : Sand Bass????

soskunked
06-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Is it just me or is the sand bass spawn late this year? Seems like it was all over by this time last year. Comments??

Sea Murda
06-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Two words,...........Global Warming! lol nah jk, I have no idea!

SOSO
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Sand Bass+Spawning. Why? Do they bite differently, pre or post spawn, to lures like fresh water large mouth Bass?

Wildhorse1966
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
isnt it too early for the spawn?

WalePescado
06-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I always remember pounding them in July. As for the spawn, I'm a retired amateur icthyologist so I have no idea on habits, but if you fish the Huntington Flats or off San Onofre when they are "spawning", it's WFO on a nice grade of fish. I've had days with 50+ fish with many going 4 pounds and a couple of better grade fish.

Seatech
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Should be REALLY soon, the bigger and smaller models have been showing up all around Long Beach & structure recently, which they do every year before the spawn.

Pulled these 2 pigs off the Wall last night, 6.2 & 5.6lbs :

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/IMGP0086.JPG

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/sandie.jpg

It's more fun before they move to the flats and WAAYYYYY less crowded!

Ed

ghetto dad
06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
its called giant squid!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

JapanRon
06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi ghettodad,

I too am worried big time on the fishery when it comes to dumb ol' Sandies and the voracious GSs. Hate those Giant Squid. They ravage a place til there is nothing left ..... then ..... move on. Hope our little Calicos have enough sense to go hide in the kelp!

JapanRon

SOSO
06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi ghettodad,

I too am worried big time on the fishery when it comes to dumb ol' Sandies and the voracious GSs. Hate those Giant Squid. They ravage a place til there is nothing left ..... then ..... move on. Hope our little Calicos have enough sense to go hide in the kelp!

JapanRon

I do not know exactly how many Giant squids are out there locally. But the local moo-moo boats have been killing them in huge numbers. All through out the week for awhile now. Sandies should be okay...

Fish Dog
06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
its called giant squid!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What ghetto dad said...giant squid ate them all :(

hakaveli
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
[quote="ghetto dad":8f598]its called giant squid!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What ghetto dad said...giant squid ate them all :([/quote:8f598]

we can catch the giant squid then flyline them to catch sand bass

Fish Dog
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
[quote="ghetto dad":e6838]its called giant squid!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What ghetto dad said...giant squid ate them all :(

we can catch the giant squid then flyline them to catch sand bass[/quote:e6838]

Boy! I'd like to see a sand bass big enough to eat a 20 pound squid!!! :shock:

JapanRon
06-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Fish Dog,

I'm thinking 4-foot long Squid strips on my plastics for a grumpy!

JapanRon

Daus
06-23-2007, 04:35 PM
fishdog,

I may be wrong but I think Hakaveli meant flylining a live giant squid on your rod/line so that the squid could catch the sandbass for you. But it sure would be nice to catch a grumpy old bass big enough to eat a giant squid.

Ambassadorhawg
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
All of my best Sand bass Spawn bites have also been in JULY!

reckless_m@
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Those goddarn squid must be puttin a damper to the turd roller bite....seems like everything happening a lil late this year though. I know the Spitfire out of redondo has been running nightly twilight trips for the bass and getting decent counts. Im pretty sure things should turn on in the next couple of weeks! :D

ghetto dad
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Those goddarn squid must be puttin a damper to the turd roller bite....seems like everything happening a lil late this year though. I know the Spitfire out of redondo has been running nightly twilight trips for the bass and getting decent counts. Im pretty sure things should turn on in the next couple of weeks! :D

if im not mistaken, and believe me, i can be, the bass they are catching up in the bay are resident fish........fun stuff, fish them with 30-40 lb and leadheads......

reckless_m@
06-26-2007, 12:30 AM
[quote="reckless_m@":e5e38]Those goddarn squid must be puttin a damper to the turd roller bite....seems like everything happening a lil late this year though. I know the Spitfire out of redondo has been running nightly twilight trips for the bass and getting decent counts. Im pretty sure things should turn on in the next couple of weeks! :D

if im not mistaken, and believe me, i can be, the bass they are catching up in the bay are resident fish........fun stuff, fish them with 30-40 lb and leadheads......[/quote:e5e38]

SMB has a good amount of turd twisters for sure....but when the spawn gets full swing in either smb or the huntington flats areas I just remember clouds of bass in the chum line under the lights on the twilight trips :shock:

ghetto dad
06-26-2007, 08:49 PM
[quote="ghetto dad":78ad9][quote="reckless_m@":78ad9]Those goddarn squid must be puttin a damper to the turd roller bite....seems like everything happening a lil late this year though. I know the Spitfire out of redondo has been running nightly twilight trips for the bass and getting decent counts. Im pretty sure things should turn on in the next couple of weeks! :D

if im not mistaken, and believe me, i can be, the bass they are catching up in the bay are resident fish........fun stuff, fish them with 30-40 lb and leadheads......[/quote:78ad9]

SMB has a good amount of turd twisters for sure....but when the spawn gets full swing in either smb or the huntington flats areas I just remember clouds of bass in the chum line under the lights on the twilight trips :shock:[/quote:78ad9]

you guys need to realize that as long as those squid are here, you can forget about the sand bass bite this summer....these squid are eating EVERYTHING in sight.... :cry:

victor101
06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
looks like the sand bass are starting to show http://www.worldwidefishing.com/phpBB2/ ... 62e8eec69d (http://www.worldwidefishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15407&sid=1cf58a9bd507a00049a7b462e8eec69d)

Tail Chaser
06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Last year the bite was on for the cuda/sandys in June at the shoe.
Sure lots of WSB this year :D

SOSO
06-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Giant Squid, please.....Sand Bass are here...

Southern Cal

Fri Jun 29 2007, 1/2 Day PM 17 anglers, 4 Calico Bass, 101 Sand Bass