PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon catch and keep @ SARL?

saintarv
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
This could be interesting during the catfish season.

Shrimp top bait for cats
at Santa Ana River Lakes

The catfish bite is hot at Santa Ana River Lakes thanks to plants coming in twice a week. Limits have been common, and the top action this past week has been on shrimp fished at Levitz’ Corner.
The top catfish was a seven-pounder caught by Eric Apelian, Lakewood, on shrimp at Levitz’ Corner. One of the best stringers, a 10-fish, 26-pound catch by Jonathan Ahumada, Bellflower, was caught on -- you guessed it -- shrimp at, that’s right, Levitz’ Corner. His best fish was a five-pounder. Stan and Glenda Corona, Orange, had 14 fish that weighed 24-pounds on the same bait from the same place.
There is an ongoing big fish contest with a $100 gift certificate given away each week on Sunday afternoon. The winning angler can use the certificate only at the new Jimmy’s Outdoors Hunting and Fishing Supply, just around the corner from SARL on Tustin Avenue. The week’s winner will be posted at 4 p.m. each Sunday at the tackle shop at Santa Ana River Lakes.
Sturgeon are coming for the big Warm Water Grand Opening June 19-21, which is Father’s Day weekend. This will be the 1st time at the Lakes that Sturgeon will be stocked for CATCH AND KEEP fishing. There will also be bonus plants of channel catfish, including trophy fish, along with tilapia. More details to come about the sturgeon along with fishing tips, handling and cleaning info along with some great recipes. Sturgeon is some of the best tasting fish you can eat and these sturgeon are specially raised for gourmet restaurants.
Santa Ana River Lakes is open seven days a week with fishing allowed from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on day passes or from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. on an evening pass. Each of these passes is $22. Seniors only pay $20, with a special $17 pass sold on Wednesdays. All of these passes have a five-fish limit. For kids 4 to 13, a three-fish pass is just $9. The 24-hour passes are now sold every Friday and Saturday and remain just $60. Anglers can bring a spouse and up to three kids to help fill the 24-hour pass 15-fish limit. For Santa Ana River Lakes fishing information, call 714-632-7830 or log on at www.fishinglakes.com (http://www.fishinglakes.com/).

gavin310
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
thanks for this. catching and keeping a sturgeon would be awesome. do you know if you'll be able to keep sturgeon from now on, or is it just for father's day weekend?

CASTAWAY
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Looks like I will need to purchase a bigger net!:Shocked:

saintarv
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
thanks for this. catching and keeping a sturgeon would be awesome. do you know if you'll be able to keep sturgeon from now on, or is it just for father's day weekend?

I think there might only be a couple of sturgeons in there right now and there for catch and release. I think they will stock more on fathers day but it may not be those giant ones they have in there already. I wonder if there is a weight limit for the catch and keep.

troutdog
06-05-2009, 12:17 AM
NOW HERE'S THE BIG NEWS--------"You haven't heard anything until you hear what we have planned for the weekend of June 19, 20 & 21st. It's our Grand Opening for the Warm Water Fishing Bonanza. For the first time, ever, Santa Ana River Lakes and Corona Lake, by authority from the California Fish and Game, will be stocking catchable 3 to 5 pound Sturgeon arranged through Imperial Catfish. In the past Sturgeon have been catch and release only at our Lakes, but during this promotion there will be a limit of two Sturgeon, 5 pounds and under, a limit of 1 sturgeon 5 to 15 pounds. Sturgeon larger than 15 pounds are still catch and release."

Have at it!

TD

saintarv
06-05-2009, 10:02 AM
NOW HERE'S THE BIG NEWS--------"You haven't heard anything until you hear what we have planned for the weekend of June 19, 20 & 21st. It's our Grand Opening for the Warm Water Fishing Bonanza. For the first time, ever, Santa Ana River Lakes and Corona Lake, by authority from the California Fish and Game, will be stocking catchable 3 to 5 pound Sturgeon arranged through Imperial Catfish. In the past Sturgeon have been catch and release only at our Lakes, but during this promotion there will be a limit of two Sturgeon, 5 pounds and under, a limit of 1 sturgeon 5 to 15 pounds. Sturgeon larger than 15 pounds are still catch and release."

Have at it!

TD

Cool TD. Thanks for the update.

FISHINGBEE
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Personally i have eaten sturgeon. I lived in No Cal caught my share of these beast in fast moving currents. I was not to keen on the taste. Meat was very oily and fatty. Ther are round pieces of cartledge that can be annoying. We tried one after that it was just catch and release for us. PB. 180 lbs Candlestick cove South SF bay grass shrimp. They love shrimp baits.

FISHINGBEE

Fisherman57
06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Personally i have eaten sturgeon. I lived in No Cal caught my share of these beast in fast moving currents. I was not to keen on the taste. Meat was very oily and fatty. Ther are round pieces of cartledge that can be annoying. We tried one after that it was just catch and release for us. PB. 180 lbs Candlestick cove South SF bay grass shrimp. They love shrimp baits.

FISHINGBEE

Brian... it's all in the prep!
Give it a try this way and I think you'll agree its got a great taste!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=34214

Hopefully, someone will share a filet or two with me... :Wink:

Dana

BingJr
06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Will standard filleting technique work as well on this fish or is it a must to fillet them that way. That looks to be a bit of a difficult technique and I am not shy around a fillet knife.

FISHINGBEE
06-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Brian... it's all in the prep!
Give it a try this way and I think you'll agree its got a great taste!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=34214

Hopefully, someone will share a filet or two with me... :Wink:

Dana Very intreseting for sure. The one i tried was def steaked not filletted. Thanks man.

FISHINGBEE

DocHolliday
06-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I just saw that email, thats pretty cool. Cant wait to land one of those, i bet they fight hard!