PDA

View Full Version : On the hunt for bluegill at Perris Lake

queefinout
06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
So went out to Perris lake mainly for blue gill... ended up with a baby gill that i released. fished from 2pm till 7pm... the people next to us who were like 10 feet away kept on catching them! they came up with like 30 blue gills. I was using worms only... next time ill use crickets or something!

formosa
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
are they fish with bobbers? or drop shot? 2 week ago was fished bobber with mealworm
at lot 11& 12 caught 30+ gill n redrear.

queefinout
06-02-2009, 10:03 PM
it was with a bobber and i was fishing on lot 11 and 12 too ... next time ill take some meal worms

Ifishtoolittle
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
worms should work it's mainly how you present your bait is what matters. My tip for you is to try a smaller hook 2lb test and a senstive rod.

queefinout
06-04-2009, 12:58 AM
great thanks for the help! alot of the times i would see my bobber moving ... do i have to pull on my rod to like set the hook? what should i do?

ichthus
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Try to keep most of the slack out of your line as the wind or current moves your bobber so that when you see it go down you can pull back on a tight line and set the hook.

JigStop
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Bluegill have very sensitive noses. I have most success when I use a masking agent to hide the so called "human odor" our hands give off. Some guys on Lot 11 were using Handi-wipes and they did Ok with crickets. The redear seem skinnier this year than last year too.

bigfishlittlefish
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Use just enough worm to cover the hook. You have to have fast reflexes to set the hook as soon as you see the bobber moving. I prefer doing without a bobber since a bobber makes it harder to set the hook quickly.

bflf

queefinout
06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
im heading back there this monday and will be using everyones advice! And would the chances of me renting a boat help me catch more fish? ive heard they rent out boats

formosa
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
float tube back side of island at 6-8ft water, u will find them.
btw drop shot no bobber. good luck.

Ifishtoolittle
06-04-2009, 10:53 PM
great thanks for the help! alot of the times i would see my bobber moving ... do i have to pull on my rod to like set the hook? what should i do?

Well as for myself I normally use a bobber with like a 3/4" diameter and a small hook that just holds enough bait to cover the hook. I think the reason why your bobber doesn't go under when the Bluegills bite is because your hook maybe too big or your bobber is too big or too much bait. Hope this helps.

queefinout
06-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Well as for myself I normally use a bobber with like a 3/4" diameter and a small hook that just holds enough bait to cover the hook. I think the reason why your bobber doesn't go under when the Bluegills bite is because your hook maybe too big or your bobber is too big or too much bait. Hope this helps.

yeah i think i use too much bait. ill usually get the big nightcrawlers and use the whole worm on the hook... usually comes back bitten or gone when i reel it back in

abbfanuc
06-05-2009, 02:06 AM
i normally use a small #8 hook for wax worm, or NC cut up the same size, 8lb max line, light rod, light split weight aprox. 12" above the hook. I keep the bail open and use my fingers to lightly hold the line. when the fish starts to swim away i set the hook, close the bail, and reel em in. I only use this setup when in shallow waters. If in deeper waters i add in a small balsa wood slip bobber and rubber stops.

BTW-where can i get these small balsa wood slip bobbers and rubber stops? Can seem to find them anymore.

Tr1p0d
06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
I've been doing good just with a small split shot.. About 20" above a #10 hook.... 2lb test...
Either using small bits of crawlers and whole crickets..