PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth vs Yosemite

Poseidon
06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Okay for this summer my parents want to go to vacation at either Mammoth or Yosemite. My dad and I are going to be fishing a lot, while my sister and mom want to venture the city or towns. We want to rent a cabin near a city or town so my mom and sister can go and have their fun, while my dad and i drive up the mountains. I have been to Mammoth once, but don't remember the place clearly. I will be really grateful if some of you guys and gals can help me find some good places to stay and good places to fish. I am not too fimilar with the lakes and which ones are good or not?
Thank you guys for all the help and support.

smalweld
06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
For starters Yosemite is not stocked at any river in the park. You will have to go outside of the park to find some stockers. Fishing in the valley at least in the Merced will be a crapshoot at best, yes there are fish in there but they are few and far between. Toulomne Meadows has some nice fishing but stealth is very important here. Wowona area, we had caught several smaller natural's and had a blast catching and releasing some of them.

Mammoth area for fishing would be great, lots of rivers, streams, creeks and lakes that are heavily stocked. You have the Owens River close by along with Convict lake and Creek. Lots of lakes in the Mammoth area to fish. Essentially do you want to see lots of people and great scenery or catch lots of fish.

Best bet before you get into either of the area's would be to stop into the local fishing shop and ask questions on where to go and what they are biting on.. Ohh spend a few bucks also, it winds up being very cheap advise especially if that person suggested an area that put you on lots of fish.

Sean

Flying
06-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Stay in Mammoth and visit Yosemite. Its a easy day trip to go over Tioga and its a beautiful drive.

calico killer kevin
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I stayed at Mammoth last summer and drove to Yosemite for some sight seeing. The drive is to the heart of Yosemite is wicked though. 4 hours or so of nothing but winding roads and crazy cliffs. The fishing at Mammoth was not as good as I had anticipated, but Yosemite was SICK!

I hopped into one of the rivers in my trunks and fished salmon eggs with a very small splitshot where the river bends and I got a fish every few casts. Was only there for about 20 minutes before sunset and I had about 10 fish from 6"-25". The 25" was an absolute beast. Used the river's current against me and had some insane teeth. It looked like a totally wild fish with red cheeks, a pink stripe, and a full f'ing tail. Best fighting trout I've ever caught for sure.

We ended up keeping it and grilling the fillets. The meat was pink as hell and tasted like heaven.

The best part was that an older guy had been fishing right near me for about a hour with zero bites on his lures when I come in and start killing them on salmon eggs lol. I was hooking and handing off to his grandson while he kept working his kastmaster, needlefish, panther martins, and powerworms to no avail. At the end he gave in and I offered him some eggs so that he and his grandson could catch some.

Still don't know if it was legal or not, but I didn't get in trouble for it, so what the hell lol.

dockboy
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Mammoth. More access, more waters, better fishing, and if the girls want to look around town the Mammoth area has more of that. Yosemite is maybe an hour and half from Mammoth, depending how comfortable you are driving mountain passes like Tioga.

As said there is no longer stocking in Yosemite. There is still good fishing to be had though. I like the East side of the park coming out of Tioga Pass much more. The Toulomne Meadows has good fishing for fishing for wild fish, but you need skill and stealth to really catch them. The small watersheds like Bridalveil and some of the other creeks are great fishing for small wild fish. The Merced is a good river, bigger fish than anywhere else in the park, but they require patience and skill to catch consistently. ON a sidenote, the Saddlebag area just before the park on the east side (Tioga) has some of the best high country fishing and most stunning beauty you can reach by car.

But if you want to fish more, its Mammoth. Mammoth and the outlying area is some of the best fishing in the Western states, bar none. I have traveled and fished in almost all the Western states, and what we have in Mammoth is awesome in quality and quantity, as well as ease of access.

fishntoss
06-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Go to Mammoth.

Poseidon
06-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks for everything guys
But I have one more question. Do you guys know where is a good place to stay. I am not fimiliar with the places at Mammoth. My mom wants somewhere where there is a city or a small town. If you guys can help me it will be great.

Joshua
06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks for everything guys
But I have one more question. Do you guys know where is a good place to stay. I am not fimiliar with the places at Mammoth. My mom wants somewhere where there is a city or a small town. If you guys can help me it will be great.
I vote for Mammoth:
And this far into the season, I dont see you finding a place to stay in or around Yosemite.
Do a google search for lodging. mammoth lakes. There are literally thousands on condos for rent. The town of Mammoth provides a free shuttle. That way you can take the car fishing and the ladies can still get around town. There are plenty of shops in Mammoth. Your ladies wont have to look far.

Any of the Mammoth lakes will produce fish. Just keep moving until you find them. Check the reports section of the board and make notes of the lakes/streams that seem to be producing. All of the waters in this area get planted, You will find fish

June Lake Loop may be an option as well. Just a few more miles north of Mammoth. Not nearly as established as Mammoth.

sierratroutslaya
06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I
The 25" was an absolute beast. Used the river's current against me and had some insane teeth. It looked like a totally wild fish with red cheeks, a pink stripe, and a full f'ing tail. Best fighting trout I've ever caught for sure.

We ended up keeping it and grilling the fillets. The meat was pink as hell and tasted like heaven.

The best part was that an older guy had been fishing right near me for about a hour with zero bites on his lures when I come in and start killing them on salmon eggs lol. I was hooking and handing off to his grandson while he kept working his kastmaster, needlefish, panther martins, and powerworms to no avail. At the end he gave in and I offered him some eggs so that he and his grandson could catch some.

Still don't know if it was legal or not, but I didn't get in trouble for it, so what the hell lol.

Fine, I'll come out and say it. That really sucks that you killed that fish. It was probably the primary breeder in the creek you were fishing, as 25" fish ARE NOT COMMON in any creek I've seen in Yosemite. A 12" fish would have tasted the same if not better than the "beast" you kept. I also do things not knowing if they are legal or not and figure it is okay just because I don't get caught. NOT!! Ignorance must be bliss....I'm sure you kill those 8# calicos you catch too. If you don't maybe now you can put what I'm trying to tell you into perspective... For the record, my screen name may me sierraroutslaya - purely for fun - but I catch-n-release everything I catch unless I am going to eat it that night (usually 1 trout about 12"). Anyways, my opinion. I know A LOT of others who feel the same as I however.

deanhall32
06-03-2009, 05:30 PM
We stay in Mammoth and drive to the back entrance of Yosemite. Park just inside the gate and hike up over a trail that brings you to the Gaylor Lakes. It is a tough 1 mile hike but you will catch 50 wild brook trout on lures. We C&R because there is no stocking and if people take a no stocking area then nothing will be left. Bring a camera because as it is with most lakes up there, the scenery is breath-taking!! Good luck...

Big Country
06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Go to Mammoth and then take the shuttle that runs from Mammoth to Yosemite down to the valley floor. Stay the night to get your fill on Yosemite and then take the shuttle back out the next day back to Mammoth.

Stick with Mammoth for the fishing.

Flying
06-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Go to Mammoth and then take the shuttle that runs from Mammoth to Yosemite down to the valley floor. Stay the night to get your fill on Yosemite and then take the shuttle back out the next day back to Mammoth.

Stick with Mammoth for the fishing.

Thats a good idea. I bet you almost have to do the shuttle thing with the summer crowds.

So there you go Poseidon. Send Mom and Sis off to Yosemite on the shuttle which leaves the car for you and Dad to fish where ever you want.:LOL:

Flying
06-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Condos a better deal than hotels in mammoth during the summer

I have stayed at most of them, but now we stay at Seasons 4 exclusively.

Check out some of the links on my new, slow to grow blog, the link to those condos are in there too.

Those are some very nice rates for what looks like very nice rooms. I'm gonna have to check that place out for next year for sure.

fishfinder
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
i used to stay in KRYSTAL VILLA EAST http://www.mammothkve.com/
thinks its about 90 a night now. pool and hot tub, one block from the hwy, food and shopping. i take my wife there so when i take the truck fishing she can just walk.

adiablo420
06-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Fine, I'll come out and say it. That really sucks that you killed that fish. It was probably the primary breeder in the creek you were fishing, as 25" fish ARE NOT COMMON in any creek I've seen in Yosemite. A 12" fish would have tasted the same if not better than the "beast" you kept. I also do things not knowing if they are legal or not and figure it is okay just because I don't get caught. NOT!! Ignorance must be bliss....I'm sure you kill those 8# calicos you catch too. If you don't maybe now you can put what I'm trying to tell you into perspective... For the record, my screen name may me sierraroutslaya - purely for fun - but I catch-n-release everything I catch unless I am going to eat it that night (usually 1 trout about 12"). Anyways, my opinion. I know A LOT of others who feel the same as I however.

easy tiger.... guy is having some fun.. i catch and release too, but all we can do is teach the ones that don't understand yet that we need to do this.. give the guy a break.. he'll get it..

Jbro
06-06-2009, 10:10 AM
MAMMOTH: Thats the end of the discussion! Tons of stuff to do and tons of fish.

seal
06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Both and that's the end of the discussion. Actually I use to do it every year, would camp or stay around the Mammoth area then head on up the Tioga pass and down to the valley. Mammoth is beautiful but you cannot replace heading through that last tunnel before you get into the valley and seeing the view, it is beyond description. And I have had good luck in the Merced, THERE ARE SPECIAL REGULATIONS PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!

Another idea is to camp up at Tioga pass and fish Ellery, Tioga, Saddleback etc... and do a day trip down to the valley. There are some great hikes just as you enter the park, incredible brook trout, and you also have the 21 lake loop, GOLDENS!. So as far as fishing goes you can do just as well as Mammoth, maybe not in the park but just ouside of it.

tenderloin
06-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Fishing regulations
Fishing regulations for Yosemite National Park follow those set by the State of California, including the requirement that people 16 or older have a valid California fishing license.

The season for stream and river fishing begins on the last Saturday in April and continues through November 15. The only exception is Frog Creek near Lake Eleanor, where fishing season does not open until June 15 to protect spawning rainbow trout. The late opening includes the first 1/2 mile of Frog Creek up to the first waterfall, including the pool below this waterfall. The late opening also extends 200 feet from the mouth of Frog Creek out onto the surface of Lake Eleanor and along its shore for a distance of 200 feet from the creek's mouth. Otherwise, all lakes and reservoirs are open to fishing year-round.

There are some special regulations that apply within the park:
No live or dead minnows or other bait fish, amphibians, non-preserved fish eggs, or roe may be used or possessed.
Fishing from bridges and docks is prohibited.
In Yosemite Valley and El Portal (Happy Isles to Foresta Bridge):
Rainbow trout are catch-and-release only.
Brown trout limit is five per day or ten in possession.
Only artificial lures or flies with barbless hooks may be used; bait fishing is prohibited.
Mirror Lake is considered a stream and is only open during stream fishing season.

In the Tuolumne River from the O'Shaughnessy Dam downstream to Early Intake Diversion Dam
Maximum size limit of 12 inches in total length.
Trout limit is two per day or two in possession.
Only artificial lures or flies with barbless hooks may be used; bait fishing is prohibited.

LBSea
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
If you have not made reservations already you will not get into Yosemite unless you are lucky enough to find a cancelation. I found one this late but only one, if you have a big group you are a year late on reservations any where near the park. You may have to stay as far as Bass lake which is a very cool place but will take you 2 hrs. to get to the valley floor w/o traffic. Mammoth on the otherhand has tons of Ski condos that sit empty and can be had for a great deal.