PDA

View Full Version : Its been 14 days....

Troutman65
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
That I quite smoking. I had the Flu and then it got to my lungs. ( Cold ) I went to the Dr's and had to take time off of work. My mom has gotten sick also. This strain of Crud is really bad. Anyway, Today it has been 2 weeks ( 14 Days ). I still crave a smoke. I am determined to quite this time. I have changed my diet and am eating healthy. This has helped . I also have lost some weight. This is all good for me. I still am sick and not sure I am feeling the full effects of not smoking yet. This is cold turkey quitting. I am really stoked that this time I will be able to quite for good. I just thought I would share. Thanks for reading.

mickeysindahouse
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Congrats on your new endeavor. All's you really need is DETERMINATION. A great support group is helpfull too, but it's really all up to YOU. I'm on 52 days myself. I also did it cold turkey starting while I was sick (cough), though mine ended up being a more serious condition (hodgkins lymphoma). Withdrawals only lasted about 3 weeks. I warned the wife that I might be a bit short fused, but with her support I stuck to it.

Technically it only takes 1 week for the nicotine to leave your body. Thereafter it's only your habit that bugs. Try keeping your mouth busy with stuff like sunflower seeds, carrot bits, peaches, grapes, etc and you'll be good.

You can try adding a signature to your posts which includes a quitmeter (http://smokefreequitmeter.com) to help visualize your progress. It REALLY is a motivation booster.

Congrats again!

http://smokefreequitmeter.com/index.php/main/banner/38836.png
(http://smokefreequitmeter.com/)

DccFISHerMan
06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Congrats man, keep it up u will make!!!

ghetto dad
06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Great job Parick.....way to go brother....

GD

Wingnut
06-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Good for you Patrick! :Big Grin: Good luck on staying the course. :Cool:

abbfanuc
06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
congrants man! We're here for your support. With the money you save you can buy a new boat!

cappo
06-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Thats good news Patrick. Keep it up.

Santa Fe Eric
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
You can do it Bro!
Blessings on your quitting smoking!

Eric

troutdog
06-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Feel better Patrick, keep up the good work!

TD

SoCalGuy7
06-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Please keep at it Patrick, when you get to be our age, it's time to get serious about your health...

Stay strong!

SCG7

JediMindTricks
06-03-2009, 07:32 AM
u can do it.
sometimes i would eat a small piece of candy whenever i craved a smoke.
the true test comes when your around a friend thats smoking. so tempting to just say... "hey, can i get one of those?"

dont do it! **** is bad for you!!! you will die!!!

Troutman65
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging replys . Its 15 days now. I take it one day at a time. :Big Grin:

VineAssist
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Congrats T-Rip. As some people might not be aware I dipped for awhile (like four years). I would go through about a tin a day while playing sports and on breaks from classes. I quit the same cold turkey about four years ago now.
I still get cravings and all that. Keep up the good work Pat. It will help you out in the long run. I just chewed gum and kept that in my lip as a suppresent to the cravings

Nu_AbGatr
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Congrats, TM65! I'm at day 58 myself. No cravings.
Cold turkey.

Healthy days ahead!

(Nu)Abg

Granny Fish
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Good for you! I'm glad to hear it. :Cool:

RRTGuy
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I'll chime in here and say a HUGE CONGRATS!!!!! As a respiratory therapist I can't tell you enough the trouble you may save yourself later in life. Heres some of things your body is experiencing already:

At 20 minutes after quitting:

blood pressure decreases

pulse rate drops

body temperature of hands and feet increases

At 8 hours:

carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal

oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:

chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:

nerve endings start regrowing

ability to smell and taste is enhanced

The first year after quitting:
At 2 weeks to 3 months:

circulation improves

walking becomes easier

lung function increases

1 to 9 months:

coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decreases

1 year:

excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker

Long-term Benefits of Quitting

At 5 years:

from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.

At 10 years:

risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers

risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases

risk of ulcer decreases

At 15 years:

risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked

risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked

Sea Monkey
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Good for you Patrick!!! You'll be fine.

Renee

DocHolliday
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Patrick,

I too am getting over the flu, it seems like somethings been going around. All of my roommates were sick as well. Im really glad to hear that you quit smoking, be strong brother. It helps to be around people who dont smoke so you wont crave as much. My best advice is to be strong and focus on your health man!! Stay up, we will fish soon.

EDIT : as someone stated earlier, chewing gum is a good alternative. It helps with the oral fixation and it makes your breath smell good!!! hahaha

mickeysindahouse
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
RRTGuy is on the money! Here's similar info in wallpaper format. Helps boost confidence every time you hop on your computer.

http://asset.soup.io/asset/0217/4504_6cd2_800.gif (http://medicineandman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/smoking-timeline-2070x1530.gif)

txcurry
06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
A little over 4 months since I quit here and I still get a craving once in a great while, especially now that the wife is away for a while.
I also did it cold turkey and I was smoking a pack and a half. This is the second major quit for me. I went twelve years and then started again in '89, after smoking back then for 24 years.

GET DA NET
06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Congrats Patrick :Applause:

deanhall32
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
You have quite a support group here TM65.

I dipped for 25 years and quit cold turkey a year and a half ago and don't even think about it anymore... Dentist said I was lucky to quit and get away with no major damage. I will never dip again. It feels good to win the battle and I can sense you are feeling that way too. Good luck!

saintarv
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Hang in there Patrick. :LOL:

Troutman65
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks again for all the replys. I did not even have a craving today for a cig. Thats really cool. I did go shopping at the super market and went off buying fresh fruit, Healthly stuff to cook at home to eat. I have been taking my lunch to work the last week and I know I have lost weight. I will keep it up one day at a time. :Big Grin:

troutdog
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I have never had to quit smoking, but I have recently decided to all but quit drinking and taking the money I would normally spend on beer etc. and put it into a jar so I can have something tangible to look at for my efforts. It gives me incentive to stick to my guns, maybe it would help you too! I already have $48 dollars set aside, I'm looking forward to watching it grow and taking Lauren somewhere cool to go fishing...like the Sierras or a saltwater trip.

Keep fightin the good fight Patrick!

TD

Troutman65
06-03-2009, 06:34 PM
I have never had to quit smoking, but I have recently decided to all but quit drinking and taking the money I would normally spend on beer etc. and put it into a jar so I can have something tangible to look at for my efforts. It gives me incentive to stick to my guns, maybe it would help you too! I already have $48 dollars set aside, I'm looking forward to watching it grow and taking Lauren somewhere cool to go fishing...like the Sierras or a saltwater trip.

Keep fightin the good fight Patrick!

TD

Very cool Aaron. I am sure you will feel better and enjoy going some where w/ Lauren. Good luck to you too.

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
* UPDATE *

Well, Its been 3 weeks ( 21 days ) now that I have stoped smoking cigs. I still have a slight caugh from my illness that I had . I am feeling better every day now. It sure is nice not smoking. I am no longer a slave to them cigs. :Big Grin: I still take it one day at a time. Thanks for reading :Big Grin:

Oz
06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
good to hear u are kicking that bad habit...hope it works out for u...only if i could get my mom too also :LOL:

Troutman65
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
good to hear u are kicking that bad habit...hope it works out for u...only if i could get my mom too also :LOL:

I think one has to be ready to quite. I tryed last December and was not ready yet and started smoking again after 10 days. Thanks for the reply Oz.

troutdog
06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
WTG buddy!

TD

Ladyfish
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Way to go Patrick!! I am so happy for you! It is always hard to quit a bad habit! You are doing great and I wish you all the best!

Ladyfish

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Way to go Patrick!! I am so happy for you! It is always hard to quit a bad habit! You are doing great and I wish you all the best!

Ladyfish

Thank you very much Ladyfish. Hope to see you and Yamafish this Summer either at the Lake or in the Bay.:Big Grin::Wink:

joe man
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
My hat is off to you. I stopped for about 1 year after having surgery. I felt great and had lost the craving. I decided to have a few cigars after a year of not smoking and to make a long story short, I am back to a pack of reds a day. I have been trying to quit again but I am having a tough time with it. Just remember that the nicotine is what gets you so stay away from it in all forms. Keep it up and congrats.

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
My hat is off to you. I stopped for about 1 year after having surgery. I felt great and had lost the craving. I decided to have a few cigars after a year of not smoking and to make a long story short, I am back to a pack of reds a day. I have been trying to quit again but I am having a tough time with it. Just remember that the nicotine is what gets you so stay away from it in all forms. Keep it up and congrats.

Joe man, thanks for the reply. I hope you can quite smkoing again.

CatchthatTrout
06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Way to go Patrick!

Troutman65
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Way to go Patrick!

Thanks Tony. Hopefully in the fall when I get up to Parchers, I will not get out of breath like the smokers get.

22 days today

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Its been 27 days and still no smoking for me.

go fish
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I quit the same way around 20 years ago.I was sick and after not smoking for 2 weeks I just went for it and it worked.I wish you the best of luck!

Troutman65
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I quit the same way around 20 years ago.I was sick and after not smoking for 2 weeks I just went for it and it worked.I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks! I feel great and looking forward to saving all that money I would be spending on smokes. :Big Grin:

Troutman65
06-16-2009, 06:24 AM
28 days and counting. :Big Grin:

Troutman65
06-19-2009, 04:11 PM
31 days now and going strong.:Big Grin:

troutdog
06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
31 days now and going strong.:Big Grin:

:Applause:

TD

Troutman65
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
:Applause:

TD

Somedays I sure feel like having a smoke. :mad: I have not cheated and snuck one in. 31 days Cold Turkey. I am stoked.:Big Grin: Thanks for the reply TD.:Big Grin:

Troutman65
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Still not smoking . Its either 35 or 36 days now. :Big Grin:

Troutman65
07-10-2009, 02:41 AM
I am still not smoking ciggs. I have had a few cigars. I do not inhale them and do not concider that starting smoking again. Anyway , Its been so long I forget how many days its been now. Kind of cool .

DocHolliday
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I am still not smoking ciggs. I have had a few cigars. I do not inhale them and do not concider that starting smoking again. Anyway , Its been so long I forget how many days its been now. Kind of cool .

Great News man! Im happy for you. Smoking cigars is definitly not the same thing, and thats OK in my book. Especially if its "once in a while" Anyways keep it up and i bet you even feel healthier

troutdog
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM

52 days and rolling...wtg brotha!

TD

Troutman65
07-11-2009, 11:08 PM
52 days and rolling...wtg brotha!

TD

52 days. :Cool: Thanks for doing the math Bro.:Wink::Big Grin:

bassgrandslam
07-12-2009, 09:21 AM
That I quite smoking. I had the Flu and then it got to my lungs. ( Cold ) I went to the Dr's and had to take time off of work. My mom has gotten sick also. This strain of Crud is really bad. Anyway, Today it has been 2 weeks ( 14 Days ). I still crave a smoke. I am determined to quite this time. I have changed my diet and am eating healthy. This has helped . I also have lost some weight. This is all good for me. I still am sick and not sure I am feeling the full effects of not smoking yet. This is cold turkey quitting. I am really stoked that this time I will be able to quite for good. I just thought I would share. Thanks for reading.

swine flu :( thanks for sharing Have you been on twitter yet?

Troutman65
07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
swine flu :( thanks for sharing Have you been on twitter yet?

Swine Flu ? Not sure it was that. Could of been. Twitter? No . I only do FNN.:Big Grin::Wink:

Thanks for the reply

Santa Fe Eric
07-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Keep it up Bro!

I'm proud of ya!

Troutman65
07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Well an update . Its been 70 days ( I think) and no smoking cigs. It sure seems like a long time. Every now and again I will want one , but the thought quickly fades when I remind myself that I don't smoke cigs any more.

vanillagurilla
07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
thats cool pat good to hear. i quit too but i dip now so i dont know whats worse. atleast now i dont get winded walking to my fav fishing spot lol.

Troutman65
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
thats cool pat good to hear. i quit too but i dip now so i dont know whats worse. atleast now i dont get winded walking to my fav fishing spot lol.

Good for you Bro. Keep it up .( About the no smoking cigs part ) It sure is nice being able to breath.:Big Grin::Wink:

BingJr
07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Patrick,

Sorry for getting to this thread so late, I tend to stick with the fishing and the boat threads as I am trying to spend a lil less time on the Net. But....

I couldn't be happier for you my freind, this is quite an accomplishment. Sorry for coming late but not for lack of love and respect for ya. Keep up the great work. Thanks for all the good times at the Vine!

Troutman65
07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey Patrick,

Sorry for getting to this thread so late, I tend to stick with the fishing and the boat threads as I am trying to spend a lil less time on the Net. But....

I couldn't be happier for you my freind, this is quite an accomplishment. Sorry for coming late but not for lack of love and respect for ya. Keep up the great work. Thanks for all the good times at the Vine!

Scott, Thanks brother. No worries about being late. :Wink: I feel its the best thing I could have done for myself. I have put a few pounds on after quiting but I knew that would happen. Next goal , is to loose the weight and be as healthy as possiable .