PDA

View Full Version : Please Take a Look!

kenmac33
06-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey Guys, I mentioned a couple of days ago that I had a new business plan that I was trying to get off the ground and it took a little bit to get the logistics down, but it's ready to go now.

Here's the short story but my website www.basstaxi.com (http://www.basstaxi.com) should explain the rest. I've been a machinist/moldmaker for the last 27yrs and have been really trying to get out of the trade and do something else. Shortly after my son was born I became a single dad and I quickly needed a place to find peace (lol. hope that came out right). I do not fish tournaments or claim to be a guide because I'm not qualified for that and there are several excellent guides on this site. But, my son and I are very passionate about the sport and it's truly been a great source of enjoyment. I would sure appreciate any input, our suggestions anyone would have to offer regarding this new venture. Thanks and If I can ever be of any help please feel free to contact me at any time.

Respectfully,
Ken
www.basstaxi.com (http://www.basstaxi.com)
(951)634-7499

Fisherman57
06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Ken,

Glad to have ya on board as the newest FNN advertiser!

Ken and his rig will be at our "Legends III" event on Saturday, August 29th at Irvine Lake.... so come on down and say hi to Ken & his son and book his boat for a day of fun on a lake near you!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=32559

Dana
Fisherman 57

pasadenafishin
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
thats pretty darn cool

bblbasser
06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
150 sounds too inexpensive. With the cost of fuel to and from the lake, wear and tear on your towing vehicle (especially brakes, tires and tranny), cost of extra maintenance (those required tunes aren't cheap), fuel, oil, never mind added liability, your net profit isn't going to be much, if anything (especially if you have any kind of breakdown). You know what DVL charges for their boats. Go higher, by about 40% at least. Otherwise I think you'll be devalueing your boat and truck in a hurry and making no money while eating up hours and hours of your time. Don't mean to sound like a killjoy, just trying to be realistic. Good luck to you, Scott

WARRIORMIKE
06-02-2009, 06:30 PM
the concept is great! I do agree I believe it is a little to reasonable. Also just curious on the insurance as well,what does it cover? I would also advise if you are doing something like this get the boat and truck wrapped. That can be a great tax advantage. Getting the word out will be difficult, you will have to go to lake perris and the local lakes and pass out business cards, however if you get caught advertising for this at the lake, you may get fined. If you were to do something like that I would just give my card out and ask people to check out my website. The overhead is low and at 150 bucks I'm sure that will help to cover the cost of your boat payment!

Wingnut
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
What a great idea! Congrats on taking that first step and good luck with your business endeavor. :Cool:

Nessie Hunter
06-03-2009, 07:41 AM
**WOW**

I can rent a tin can piece of crap for $120 a day OR that sweet Skeeter for $150....?????

No brainer.................. :EyePop:

That Dang Guy
06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Wow. I'd definitely try it once or twice.

I wish you luck! I can definitely see a few problems or hurdles that you may have to climb over.

Stormcrow
06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
I have no doubt you could get 200. Thats less than 70 bucks per guy with 3 guys. I like your idea and best of luck!

tunafisherman
06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Good luck and hope things work out for you. Who knows you may end up with 5 boats or more and then many more. Best of luck to you. You may want to run an ad in western outdoors news paper.

kenmac33
06-03-2009, 11:41 AM
thanks soo much for the overwhelming response i've gotten to this venture and I want everyone to know that I really appreciate everyone taking the time and thought to offer they're help and suggestions. I want everyone to know that this was not ever meant to be a get rich quick scheme as I plan to be around for a long time. With that being said, I must always try and be fair and reasonable to everyone.

Please keep the suggestions and opinions comming as I certainly could use them. This board has been a great resource of my fishing knowledge and many friendships have been made here. Thanks again and I look forward to your help, opinions and suggestions.

Also, feel free to contact me ANYTIME if I can be of any help to anyone.

Respectfully

Ken

Hog Caller
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Great idea!

With the overpriced junk they call bassboats at DVL.

You may want to have some kind of inspection with the customer upon return and hauling the boat out to make sure that there's no damage or the boat isn't trashed.

If you could get a couple of days a week for that price rented your getting and extra $1,200 a month to cover costs.

My only concern would be damage done by the renter and how do you get that covered. Mechanical stuff will probably be on you, but user abuse and damge is another issue.

Good luck and maybe one day I'll take you up on it.

Brent

Pinekap
06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Having owned a Heating and air conditioning business for 22 years now, My advise is make sure you talk to someone and get legal advise. I realize you are just trying to be a good guy and make it so everyone can have fun. But unfortunately there are to many people today that don't see it that way and sue for anything.

All it will take if for a kid to be standing in the boat when the inexperinced father takes off and the kid goes flying. Well guess what that father will quickly turn this into your problem and be sueing you. While you may win the court case it will still cost you a fortune to defend yourself. I would hate to see someone with such good intentions as yours, Lose your boat as well as your house just becuase of some other idiot not taking responsibility for their own actions.

This is an awesome idea, But please just talk to somone, come up with a great contract to protect yourself.

Pinekap

mstr fish
06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Great Idea But I agree that your price is low. I have seen how some treat rentals and would hate for them to treat your boat the same way. If you fished with them for 150.00 I would say it to be a bit more realistic. I am definitly a beginner on the boat thing so personally I do not know if I would feeel comfortable driving your boat after a 5min seminar. If I rode with you a couple times (at the very least) maybe then I would go for it on my own. You seem like a bright guy with great intentions (have read some of your reports with your lil one) and would hate to see someone take advantage of someone like you. Sad but true things like this happen now a days. Protect yourself....................................fish

sansou
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I think you have a great idea, and I wish you success.

Please consider an ironclad contract that limits or spells out each party's respective duties/liabilities.

I don't know enough to tell you if your price point is set correctly. Seems reasonable to me, but again, I don't know enough. Maybe consider a slightly higher initial price, and thereafter, a reduced price for "good" clients? I dunno...

Headhunter
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
An excellent idea! I can't tell you how many times I have wished that someone would offer a DECENT boat at a reasonable rate.

A couple of thoughts.....The fisherman in me says YEAH!!! but the businessman in me says....."Price a little low". You need to see this as BUSINESS. and That means making a PROFIT.

Also, take Rich's advice and have an attorney build a contract for you that will PROTECT both YOU and the client. You will probably also need to check into adjustments for your insurance on the boat, as it now becomes a piece of BUSINESS EQUIPMENT. Your liablity increases as well.....The boat is registered to YOU, so if one of your customers decides to slam the dock at 30 mph, well, you might have a problem!

So, see a lawyer, and DO THIS. It's a great idea, and if you handle it correctly, then you may the start of a really nice little business. I say build a FLEET!

HH

lurk 182
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
get incorporated, (or maybe an LLC) a very good contract, and understand that your boat owners policy will not cover this type of use. you will need a commercial policy, which may be a lot pricier than the one you've got now. PM me if you'd like to know more about these issues, like sansou, i'm one of "them". also, you're gonna need a business license and the lakes themselves will probably look at your activities as a breach of the contract they have with the concessionaire (if there is one at that particular lake) who usually has the exclusive right to rent boats there.

bassaholic90
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Maybee after a while you can find a doller figure for each lake and know how much u need to charge to make profit and eventully come up with a set price for each lake and list it. really dvl is alot farther than irvine .... and i deffinitly think u should charge a little more down the line that is good price to get your name out there but later on deffinitly take it up a notch

Granny Fish
06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
A very cool and creative idea.... :Cool:

I agree with the others regarding price. Above all make sure you get legal advice before going forward.

I wish you luck.

James<626>
06-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Excellent idea. I agree, u might wanna bump up the price just abit. You'll be booked in no time. I see great success. Excellent opportunity to grow & get multiple boats out there in the future. As a small business owner best advise I can give u is "CYA" cover you're a**. Do all ur legal homework & good luck .

Troutslayer620
06-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Great Idea, me and my dad might take you up on your Taxi service!

abbfanuc
06-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Sweet! i just booked a date with kenmac. I do agree the price is low for a great boat comparing to rental boats from the dock. Maybe we are just seeing an introductory price for now. Who knows, prices can change to where you meet up www.basstaxi.com. The farther you are the more expensive it gets.

As far as abusers, get an iron clad rental agreement for the users. Hit up every lawyers, llc, etc., to help protect yourself and your investment, so you have a great and successful business. Great concept and great luck to your business.

Can't wait to hit the waters on my scheduled date with www.basstaxi.com

HuskerRod
06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Ken,

Everybody has great suggestions. Maybe a deposit may be in order as well. DVL gets a $100 deposit out of me when I rent. Like any business, start small and feel things out. I'd keep your advertising pretty "tight to the cuff" at first as you iron out things and maybe take a little less risk on your clientle. Once you figure out ways to cover your back then expand and start advertising covering a larger umbrella.

Man, I tell you what. If DVL ever reopens to private boats I am all over this.

Huskerrod

kenmac33
06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
hey guys,

In all fairness to anyone interested. I have a client who contacted me and was interested in purchasing a 10 trip bundle for a discounted price. After a bit of negotiating we came to an agreement and he purchased 10 trips for a total of 110.00ea. The only stipulation was that they had to be weekday only (mon-fri) and cash up front for the 10 trips. I'm posting this because in all fairness to anyone interested I will honor the same deal for a limited time. Thanks again to everyone here for their support. I realize most people don't purchase this many trips at once.

Ken

Socal Bassman
06-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I think it's a great idea! I agree with others that your price is too low.

fishntime
06-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Sounds like a really good Idea. My question is how much does insurance run. Also its going to be a great tax right off. When I started fishing I always wished someone would offer a ride on there boat..

fishntime
06-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Sounds like a really good Idea. My question is how much does insurance run. Also its going to be a great tax right off. When I started fishing I always wished someone would offer a ride on there boat.. Good Luck with your new venture.

dixoncider
06-06-2009, 04:48 AM
This is called a bare boat charter. You may want to look that up.

Troutslayer620
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Came back from a day at Lake Perris aboard the BASS TAXI! What a great boat, and Ken is a great guy. He meet us on the lake right on time, and the boat was clean and problem free. What a great experience, we will definitely do it again!

Thanks Ken!

Steve:Big Grin: