PDA

View Full Version : Where to Fish?

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm a fisherman who fishes mainly lakes and rivers, I've been wanting to take my boat out in the ocean but it is small, 12' aluminum w/ 15 hp evinrude, carry along 6 hp back-up, was woundering if anyone can recommend any safe areas to take my boat out, I live in the L.A. area, love to eat fish from ocean but don't have a clue where to fish or what to use for bait, would like to catch halibut,snapper,cod, or anything else good eatin!! Please help!! Cheers!

Ricky-Ray
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
With a 12' boat I would probably say your safest bet would be to fish Newport harbor. Lot's of bass and halibut around. Plastics and Rapala's work along with live bait. You can get live bait over at Newport Bait Barge. Right around now they would usually have sardines and maybe anchovies too. Maybe even some squid but I think that's a slim chance right now.

bsp
06-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm a fisherman who fishes mainly lakes and rivers, I've been wanting to take my boat out in the ocean but it is small, 12' aluminum w/ 15 hp evinrude, carry along 6 hp back-up, was woundering if anyone can recommend any safe areas to take my boat out, I live in the L.A. area, love to eat fish from ocean but don't have a clue where to fish or what to use for bait, would like to catch halibut,snapper,cod, or anything else good eatin!! Please help!! Cheers!

Newport Harbor and King Harbor in Redondo beach are the closest for your purposes. You are definitely not going to want to take that boat anywhere that isn't sheltered on the ocean. It isn't safe. It's not like being in the harbors would limit you though. You can catch plenty of good eating fish in the harbors like halibut and bonita (some guys will disagree with the bonita, but I like them). For the halibut, dropshot small 4in baitfish like plastics (Zoom Flukes, all sizes of Saltwater Gulp! jerkshads and baitfish) on 8lb flourocarbon and with 3/8oz sinker. Troll flashy rapalas or other jerkbaits for bonita, mackeral, and barracuda. Good Luck!

dixoncider
06-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I won't even go into the "unsafe" places that a boat like that could be fished>

NICKYMOUSE8
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Dude Take it Catalina !!!! Ive heard stories of people who have gone on a 12 fter

flopps1
06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
You can also consider inside the Long Beach Breakwall. Where the old oil stations/islands are at. Do a drift with a carolina rig for the hali's and there are other species inside. Get bait at Nacho's and fish anywhere around there.

dixoncider
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Dude Take it Catalina !!!! Ive heard stories of people who have gone on a 12 fter
I hate to say it but, did it redondo to the west end. calm day no fog. pretty fun but you have to be young and not know better for sure.

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I won't even go into the "unsafe" places that a boat like that could be fished>??? that's why I'm asking???:???:

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Dude Take it Catalina !!!! Ive heard stories of people who have gone on a 12 fterDude What's a 12 fter?? you guys are killing me, sorry for being ignorate??

troutdog
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Dude What's a 12 fter?? you guys are killing me, sorry for being ignorate??

12 foot boat.

You may also consider Marina Del Rey harbor as well, be safe and have fun!

TD

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
With a 12' boat I would probably say your safest bet would be to fish Newport harbor. Lot's of bass and halibut around. Plastics and Rapala's work along with live bait. You can get live bait over at Newport Bait Barge. Right around now they would usually have sardines and maybe anchovies too. Maybe even some squid but I think that's a slim chance right now. thanks for the tip!!

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Newport Harbor and King Harbor in Redondo beach are the closest for your purposes. You are definitely not going to want to take that boat anywhere that isn't sheltered on the ocean. It isn't safe. It's not like being in the harbors would limit you though. You can catch plenty of good eating fish in the harbors like halibut and bonita (some guys will disagree with the bonita, but I like them). For the halibut, dropshot small 4in baitfish like plastics (Zoom Flukes, all sizes of Saltwater Gulp! jerkshads and baitfish) on 8lb flourocarbon and with 3/8oz sinker. Troll flashy rapalas or other jerkbaits for bonita, mackeral, and barracuda. Good Luck!Right on, Thanks!

BigBass777
06-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Harbor fishing is your safe bet. Also carry a lifejacket with you or wear it as you fish. Do you have anchors? The ocean (outsie of the harbor)gets the wind a lot and it will rough you up. The harbor is a better place to use a 12ft boat. Holiday weekends is a must stay away from on smaller boats. Lotta traffic and all.

The typical set up includs a sliding egg sinker 1/2oz - 3/4 oz. 10lb,12lb,20lb, or 25lb. I use 10lb and 20lb most often but 10lb won't help you if happen to catch a big sting ray or bat ray.

Dead frozen anchovies work well. Live bait will work if you have a live bait tank to use. For the anchovies I leave them out in the sun. The sun dries them out and they stay on the hook better during the harbor tide movement. A 3-4 inch tail section of an achovie is irresistable.

Hooks: 1,2, or 3.

Have fun! Be safe! Catch a lot of fish!

mg2969
06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Huntington Harbor (huntington beach) and Alamitos Bay (between Long Beach and Seal Beach) should also be considerations

crew8lospadres
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Anyone who tells you to charge 25+ miles across the channel in a 12 foot boat is either STUPID! OR WANT'S YOU TO DIE!!! Sure people have done it,but it is NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE!! Weather condition's can change on a dime out there and in that size boat you would not stand a chance.

STICK TO THE HARBOR'S AND BEACHES
DON'T BECOME ANOTHER NEWSPAPER HEADLINE

I have a 22 ft overnight sea ray and crossing the santa barbara channel on a good day can turn into a real nightmare real quick NOT FUN!!!