PDA

View Full Version : May 29 pierpiont landing report

Duckhunter
06-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Went out on an overnight charter the 29th. The crew I was fishing with were targeting rock fish only. 1st for me, I usually like to fish bass, YT, ect. Thought I would change it up a bit and try something new. Got some advise from a few here (thanks again!) and headed out. The weather was incredible almost too calm. Hit San Nicholas Island about 07:00. Most guys were fishing large jigs which was my plan until I saw the bait. Great looking dines! Dropped down a rock cod set up with two nice looking baits. From there on out it was hook up every time I got the bait to the bottom without loosing it, about 80% of the time. One of the deckhands told me I was wasting my time with live bait, said I couldnt keep in on that deep. I didnt really have a problem, maybe he thought I was a novice. Just slow down the decent, macks were not a problem stealing the bait.

I got outfished by a few on the boat but pretty much held my own for a first timer. Ended up with a salmon grouper that took one of the MANY jackpot fish. Brought home a nice newell reel. This was a huge bonus becasue I was happy with the 15lbs of cod fillets I had. Apparently this was one of the slowest trips they had (Probably due to the time of year???)
I have no complaints.

The crew was pretty good, and captain great!!! I caught a lot of firsts

6 ling cod 1 keeper
2 nice salmon grouper
1 chucklehead
huge nice red and several decent ones went into the sack.

ghetto dad
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice report man..I thought you couldnt keep any "red" fish tho at san nick????

anyways, thanks for the report...

GD

Duckhunter
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
we were pretty far from the island so maybe just outside the boundries? The capatain was re-measuring the lings people were catching just to make sure there were no shorts in the sack. He was watching everything pretty close, I doubt he would be keeping illegal fish. I thought it was only a few of the the santa barbra islands that were off limits for reds. I didnt think it was all of them. There were two other boats fishing in the same area. To be honest with you I am not up on all the new rock cod regs. i just trusted the crew. which isn't always smart either. But the way the crew was with making sure no one went over their limit of samlon grouper and lings and double checking every ling I am pretty confident everything was above board.

Duckhunter
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I could also be miss identifying a red too? LOL

LA Smoker
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey Duckhunt, were you on the Toronado? You guys left pretty early... too bad because the rockfish went WFO in the afternoon. I was on the Pacific Star and we were on a 2 day, it was pretty slow in the morning but around 3 in the afternoon, we hit the deep end and just killed Big Red after Bigger Red after Even Bigger Red. Thats why I prefer a minimum of 1.5 day trips. Then we went to SBI on Sunday for WSB and YT but neither showed. I had a couple lings and a nice goat. Sorry for thread jacking. Out of curiosity how much was your charter?

JapanRon
06-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Duckhunter,

Sounds like lots of fish tacos. Good for you. Just how deep were you fishing?

JapanRon

ghetto dad
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
we were pretty far from the island so maybe just outside the boundries? The capatain was re-measuring the lings people were catching just to make sure there were no shorts in the sack. He was watching everything pretty close, I doubt he would be keeping illegal fish. I thought it was only a few of the the santa barbra islands that were off limits for reds. I didnt think it was all of them. There were two other boats fishing in the same area. To be honest with you I am not up on all the new rock cod regs. i just trusted the crew. which isn't always smart either. But the way the crew was with making sure no one went over their limit of samlon grouper and lings and double checking every ling I am pretty confident everything was above board.

lol...i work at a landing and cant keep up....but i heard that no "red" rockfish of any type are to be kept at nick....that was last year tho..who knows.....

GD

victor101
06-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Good job on the bottom fish...sounds like fun.

Duckhunter
06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Captain never said how deep, I am guessing about 180-200 ft. No current or wind to deal with. I only had to use 12oz of weight. guys on the boat said the fishing was slow due to not water movement. the wind just started to pick up when we left I'm sure that helped the bite.