PDA

View Full Version : I thought this was it!

DEADROOTS
06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
This got my adrenalin pumping! I hit NPH yesterday focused on one target, the legal Hali! I launched around noon and within 30 mins I hooked into this bugger.
I told my self, This is it, I finally got em! WRONG... I broke out the tape measure and what do ya know... 21" :Shocked: It fought like hell though!

Ill get em next time :Wink:

TShaffer
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Aww so close! I feel your pain...no legals for me either :Sad:.

crappiemike
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
nice job so close!!!! king harbor is going off right now...

cm

bsp
06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
You'll get the legal soon. Just put in hours on the water, and one will eventually bite. If you really want to maximize your odds, upgrade the offerings. Try 5in Zoom Flukes, 5in Gulp Jerkshads, and 5in Saltwater jerkshads rigged on 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap hooks for texas rigging and 1/0 straight shanks for threading it on. 10lb flouro and a 5/8 oz dropshot weight work well. 4in Big hammers are another good bet for the harbor. You can and will catch legals on 3in Big Hammers, but there will be a lot more shorts that attack them in the harbors. In the surf, 3in is the best all around, but I'll bump up to 4in and 5in if the fish are keying in on bigger baits. Fish the 3ins on 1/4oz or 3/8oz lead heads and 4ins on 3/8oz or 1/2oz lead heads. The Flash Minnow 110 is always a good bet too.

Jaysuuun
06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
It's not legal, but that's still a nice fish! I'm sure you'll catch your legal butt soon. I am also in hali hunting mode. :Wink: I lost a good one the other night. Good work out there. :Cool:

Wingnut
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh man, that's pretty close... nothing like the thrill of the chase for your first legal. When it happens, you will remember the moment forever. :Cool:

Troutman65
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Nice try . Hang in there . You will get your first legal Hailbut soon enough.:Wink:

GeordyBass
06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
WAHHH WAHHH WAHHH!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha!You SUCK!lol,,,j/k,,,

Happens,but good job son!:Envious:

ghetto dad
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice job homie......

GD

good thing geordy didnt catch that fish, it would have been on his stinger.....:ROFL:

GeordyBass
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice job homie......

GD

good thing geordy didnt catch that fish, it would have been on his stinger.....:ROFL:It would have been filleted before it was "released",,,j/k,,,MLPA RULES!:Rolls Eyes:yeah right!

Kimura6985
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
This got my adrenalin pumping! I hit NPH yesterday focused on one target, the legal Hali! I launched around noon and within 30 mins I hooked into this bugger.
I told my self, This is it, I finally got em! WRONG... I broke out the tape measure and what do ya know... 21" :Shocked: It fought like hell though!

Ill get em next time :Wink:

what's legal 24"?

bsp
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
22in for halibut and 28in for White Seabass.

Santa Fe Eric
06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
So Close my friend! So close!

Nexttime for sure!

CatchthatTrout
06-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Good job on the fish anyways!

I have yet to catch a Butt.

DEADROOTS
06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Aww so close! I feel your pain...no legals for me either :Sad:. We'll get em. 30"+:Smile:

nice job so close!!!! king harbor is going off right now...

cm
Thanks! Are you talking about the halibut bite ?

You'll get the legal soon. Just put in hours on the water, and one will eventually bite. If you really want to maximize your odds, upgrade the offerings. Try 5in Zoom Flukes, 5in Gulp Jerkshads, and 5in Saltwater jerkshads rigged on 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap hooks for texas rigging and 1/0 straight shanks for threading it on. 10lb flouro and a 5/8 oz dropshot weight work well. 4in Big hammers are another good bet for the harbor. You can and will catch legals on 3in Big Hammers, but there will be a lot more shorts that attack them in the harbors. In the surf, 3in is the best all around, but I'll bump up to 4in and 5in if the fish are keying in on bigger baits. Fish the 3ins on 1/4oz or 3/8oz lead heads and 4ins on 3/8oz or 1/2oz lead heads. The Flash Minnow 110 is always a good bet too.
Your totally right! I have been considering just that, as far as the larger offerings. Do you ever have any problems with the line wrapping around the rod tip when using the Invizx line? That was my dilema when drop shotting that day.

It's not legal, but that's still a nice fish! I'm sure you'll catch your legal butt soon. I am also in hali hunting mode. :Wink: I lost a good one the other night. Good work out there. :Cool:
Thanks bro! I havnt fished Newport at night yet. Ill have to give it a go.

Oh man, that's pretty close... nothing like the thrill of the chase for your first legal. When it happens, you will remember the moment forever. :Cool:
I know it will! It will happen for sure this month, I'll put in some work when schools over.

Nice try . Hang in there . You will get your first legal Hailbut soon enough.:Wink:
Thanks bud:Beer Toast:

WAHHH WAHHH WAHHH!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha!You SUCK!lol,,,j/k,,,

Happens,but good job son!:Envious:
Don't talk to your father like that! Ill get the belt!

Nice job homie......

GD

good thing geordy didnt catch that fish, it would have been on his stinger.....:ROFL:
He was busy eating Garibaldi.

So Close my friend! So close!

Nexttime for sure!
I feel it coming.

Good job on the fish anyways!

I have yet to catch a Butt.
I figure, the next big hali I hook will be huge. Just keep trying!

bsp
06-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Your totally right! I have been considering just that, as far as the larger offerings. Do you ever have any problems with the line wrapping around the rod tip when using the Invizx line? That was my dilema when drop shotting that day.

You are thinking correctly if you already were considering that, so you'll get the legal halibut by the end of the year!

None at all. Casts smoothly, and never wraps up anywhere. Most of the time the line wraps around your rod tip when you haven't threaded the line through the guides properly, or when your overhead cast isn't smooth (like when you are talking and stop the cast half way). It could also be caused if you stick your line tip in the water and move it around a lot when you're trying to work the lure. I have never had my line wrap around the tip of my rod in any other normal situation. It never is just the line.

You can always have your line wrap around your rod when you duck after a fish tosses your lure right back at you at high speeds, but that isn't something you can avoid. :LOL:

flyngby
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
So Close indeed and so far!!!!!!!

You will get her soon!

The pancakes have been on the hunt all spring, the pushing Legals are stating to become active and the potential for bigger is in the future!

Good luck and congrats on the PB!

On Monday we released 1 back that went 22" on 3 different tapes but did not trust any of them to be accurate!!!!!

Good luck out there!

Steve

DEADROOTS
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
You are thinking correctly if you already were considering that, so you'll get the legal halibut by the end of the year!

None at all. Casts smoothly, and never wraps up anywhere. Most of the time the line wraps around your rod tip when you haven't threaded the line through the guides properly, or when your overhead cast isn't smooth (like when you are talking and stop the cast half way). It could also be caused if you stick your line tip in the water and move it around a lot when you're trying to work the lure. I have never had my line wrap around the tip of my rod in any other normal situation. It never is just the line.

You can always have your line wrap around your rod when you duck after a fish tosses your lure right back at you at high speeds, but that isn't something you can avoid. :LOL:

:Beer Toast:

DEADROOTS
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
So Close indeed and so far!!!!!!!

You will get her soon!

The pancakes have been on the hunt all spring, the pushing Legals are stating to become active and the potential for bigger is in the future!

Good luck and congrats on the PB!

On Monday we released 1 back that went 22" on 3 different tapes but did not trust any of them to be accurate!!!!!

Good luck out there!

Steve
I hope so also thank you! I saw all the pics, very nice! How long have you been fishing Newport?