PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 5/30-31 Marathon with Pics!

YuAyntRyt
06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
The drive to the lake was a breeze. No traffic and the weather was just beautiful. As we got closer to the lake, the temperature was dropping. It was about 65˚ air temp. As we get to gallions to get some ice and snacks, they had no glow sticks. It's cool. We'll just get some at the gate. I wish I had gotten some from work for 99 cents each. Oh well, on we went up to the lake and we watched boat after boat leaving. Hmnnn.... seems like we were the only ones driving up the road. "what if it was cancelled?" As we entered the road low and behold, vehicles were lined up. Whew! Crap! LOW FUEL light lights up. CRAP! In our excitement we didn't really check for gas. Hmnn... the wait is long... and the lights are on... hmnnn... we might run out of gas waiting in line. So, we kept the truck on neutral and turned off the engine rolling it down to the gate. Thank gods that hill is steep. After we paid up $40 for two. There was another line. CRAP! LOW FUEL! Safety equipment check. Lights, throw pillow, pdf, fire extinguisher, glow sticks, life guards contact info... check, check, check, check... Finally after about 20 minutes of waiting, we finally got to launch.

As we launched we fished by sharons nest for about an hour after trying out the shores of hawks nest for about 1hr. Cranked it for the most part. Drop shot for nada. My wife accidentally drops her needle nose pliers by sharons nest. Bye bye... the beginning of her series of unfortunate events. We moved along the banks getting stuck on the rocks and our crankbaits growing beards. Fish were mostly just suspended as we flashed our lights to the banks. Finally, got one! Is it legal size? Barely. That was a good fight little guy. It was pretty quiet for a bit in that area and caught another. Eh... not legal. So, we head on out to the old S.S. for a bit and nada. Tried another area for nada. Went to our honey hole and blam! Finally another keeper on ds. Moonlight fishing ended with two keepers.

The next day, we headed up to the big lake with deep overcast. It was pretty cold, 46˚. The ice still in the cooler with drinks and two bags of chips. Spent all of our money at the entrance $24. Launched around 6 am. The skies were dark, dead trout along the banks by the marina going east. Lots of baby bass about 6"-10" swimming along. Some trout jumping out of the water by the old road. Fished it there for nada. My wife comfortable with her fuzzy hat. It's chilly that morning. Interestingly folks were out on T-shirts, flip flops and shorts. We headed for some rocky spots and caught a couple of baby bass on drop shot. My wife looses a fish on her ds rig thanks to her brittle 8lb hybrid. She swears it was a keeper. Then, she continues to fish and land a baby bass just a few minutes later. Tons of baby bass on the banks. They were all schooling seems like it. We spent a lot of time in that catching dinks.
My wife suggested we go down the striper alley and we found more baby bass just schooling along the banks. I hook up with a short fish. We then noticed a couple of guys catching stripers on the other side. As the wind picks up, the sun finally peeks through the clouds for some warmth. Baby Stripers boiled. Oooh! Fun! Threw out my fly line soft jerk and caught one. My wife ties on a top water and hooks up. She then tries a spinner bait for short strikes. She then hooks up a trebble trailer and lands one. We hooked up with several dinks for fun. The boil dies as the sun was more apparent to stay. The wind picks up and the bites dies down. We tried fishing a lot of different spots for most of the afternoon. My wife notices she lost her fuzzy hat. We didn't even notice it fly out of the boat. She liked that hat a lot. She sat in disappointment for a bit. We continued to fish for more dinks. Tough day.
Finally, exhausted from the all nighter fishing and early rise. We decided to chill at a shady spot in the old S.S. Cove. Get some releif from the sun and the wind. After about half an hour of nothing. We decided to go back to our new found discovery. "which way is the wind blowing?" I think it's coming from the west going to east. It was around 5:10 and the sun was moving down. One keeper landed and we were scrambling to hit our five limit. There were a few boats in the area fishing for striper.
My wife takes the helm trolling and she threw out her spinner for nada. She switches to her bait of choice and hooks up with a fish on first cast. Ewe! the tail looks like it's been eaten up. Short for a keeper. The wind picks up and we were going against the breeze. Thanks to her cheap hybrid line. She had to retie her bait before she looses it. I take on the helm to catch a keeper. Moving at 3 speed on the trolling motor fighting the wind along the banks. I catch another sizable keeper. The wind blowing our baits to the shore. We kept getting stuck on the rocks. Catching a dink. There were boats driving crazy creating large wakes. The day was almost at an end. I crank up the trolling motor on 5 fighting the wind. I catch another keeper. Finally almost to the end, my wife catches a keeper. The sun was behind the mountains. It's 7:30. Time to clean up to go home and called it a day.

Hitts0n
06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice report ! Glad you made it up out there without running out of gas! Nice pics brotha ! Castaic did ok that weekend !

YuAyntRyt
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
It wasn't so bad. There were a lot of little fish actively feeding. We usually do better. We might hit up Piru next week-end.