PDA

View Full Version : San Clemente Isl. Sea Horse Yellows 5-31

russ88
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Fished San Clemente Island off Dana Wharf Sportfishing. Jumped on the Sea Horse $100 overnight special trips. My original plan was Castaic moonlight fishing but made the last minute decision with a couple guys to fish Clemente instead. I want a shot at some nicer grade yellows. My saltwater gear was ready packed since last week. I was suppose to go with madbass on freedom for the wide open WSB bite. I’m still cryin bout that one…. lol Got to the landing and was informed that the rig we’ll be using is dropper loop. I was like wtf I didn’t sign up for rockfishing. Lol Deckhand explained to me how the drift will work and gave pointers on how we’ll be fishing in the morning. Not much sleep for me. Thought the beers would help but I guess not. Maybe an hour sleep at best. Got up to watch the crew catch squid. Kinda reminds me of catching shad at the castaic. I started fishing around 5:30. I get semi whooped by a big Black Seabass on my Avet SX n Shikari 8025 rig. Got my moneys worth on that one. Lol Bite was scratchy but we managed to get something on almost every drift. We landed 8 and lost just as many. Saw people breaking 20, 25lb line. I was fortunate enough to land one yellow. This is a personal best for me. 29.6 on my digi scale. Made 1 nice run n came in hot to the boat. It was a tough up and down battle but got the fish on deck. It was a great first overnight trip for me. Sea Horse and Crew treated us well and on top of their game! Thanks to Sea Horse n the Crew!!! Here’s a couple pics from the trip.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3392-1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3399.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3397.jpg
The guy in the back holding his fish up put an arse whoopin on a 30.4 JP yellow. I watched this guy pull and deck that yellow in no time! This guy showed no mercy and kept turning the big yellows head!!!

troutdog
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Congrats on the big fat yellow, that looked like a trip making fish right there! Any more pics of the hotty holding the cuda? :LOL:

Nice report and pics, again congrats on the sweet yt!

TD

Liteliner
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Lucky BARRACUDA..... :EyePop::EyePop::EyePop:

cappo
06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Awesome job man. Those are quality size yellows.

Evilone
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah , nice fish. Deep bite and the key is the loop on the bottom!!!

jplee3
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
BEAUTIFUL fish man!! And the prices on that boat are insane at only $100! I need to get on it real soon! Had my chance this past wknd but decided to go skiffing in NPH...big mistake :(

Hope to jump on this one again though!

jplee3
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
BTW: the counts for 5/30 are insane! 26 yellows and 4 halis among 22 anglers. Was this a private charter? I recall checking the zerve site and one of the fri-sat trips being unavailable. i'm guessing it was 5/29-5/30?

if it was open party, i'm going to kill myself for deciding to rent a skiff... ughhhh! :P

JapanRon
06-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi russ88,

Most excellent job all around ! Congrats on the right flavor. Beautiful fish !!

I want to use your index finger for one of my asides this week. I'm thinking you won't mind as few will recognize your finger !!

How easy is that fish going to be for you to beat the rest of the year locally ?

Angler has a nice Barracuda to be proud of too !!

JapanRon

FISHINGBEE
06-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Awesome job man. Those are quality size yellows. I saw that count on sportfishingreport.com great job 100 bucks what a freaken deal gotta love the Sea Horse and my most favorite island great job im jealous. By the way the Sea Horse was the high count on yellows that day.

FISHINGBEE

paDDy
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice job on the yellow Russ. You did the right thing by missing castaic as I am sure you know, you got your PB. I was wishing the whole time I was at Clemente even thoe the lmb bite was good castaic.

Ricky-Ray
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the report and pics. Congrat's on your PB yellow.

megafisher94
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
looks like i know what im doin this summer.....

kgselect
06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
That's a nice yellow. On any other trip, that would have been JP. Congrats.

madbass
06-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Fished San Clemente Island off Dana Wharf Sportfishing. Jumped on the Sea Horse $100 overnight special trips. My original plan was Castaic moonlight fishing but made the last minute decision with a couple guys to fish Clemente instead. I want a shot at some nicer grade yellows. My saltwater gear was ready packed since last week. I was suppose to go with madbass on freedom for the wide open WSB bite. I’m still cryin bout that one…. lol Got to the landing and was informed that the rig we’ll be using is dropper loop. I was like wtf I didn’t sign up for rockfishing. Lol Deckhand explained to me how the drift will work and gave pointers on how we’ll be fishing in the morning. Not much sleep for me. Thought the beers would help but I guess not. Maybe an hour sleep at best. Got up to watch the crew catch squid. Kinda reminds me of catching shad at the castaic. I started fishing around 5:30. I get semi whooped by a big Black Seabass on my Avet SX n Shikari 8025 rig. Got my moneys worth on that one. Lol Bite was scratchy but we managed to get something on almost every drift. We landed 8 and lost just as many. Saw people breaking 20, 25lb line. I was fortunate enough to land one yellow. This is a personal best for me. 29.6 on my digi scale. Made 1 nice run n came in hot to the boat. It was a tough up and down battle but got the fish on deck. It was a great first overnight trip for me. Sea Horse and Crew treated us well and on top of their game! Thanks to Sea Horse n the Crew!!! Here’s a couple pics from the trip.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3392-1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3399.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z191/Rusell88/IMG_3397.jpg
The guy in the back holding his fish up put an arse whoopin on a 30.4 JP yellow. I watched this guy pull and deck that yellow in no time! This guy showed no mercy and kept turning the big yellows head!!!

That was a fun trip for sure!! Even though i got skunked i had blast!! Let's do it again soon!!!!!!

kill_obet
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
ur the man russ!!ur getting better and better every trip u go to keep it up dude!!btw im sooo freakin jelous bru lmao!!why are u so good huh?hehe..

bones
06-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Great job Russ....... I was wondering where you went bro.
I've got to admit.....my eyes start wandering when I check out that cuda also but great job on that yellow........ Did ya sushi up some of it?
Hey bro....call me....I killed my cell and lost your number.

ghetto dad
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
NICE yellow brother!!!! good job!!! :Big Grin:

GD

SOSO
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Yellowtail!!! I'm jealous Russ..We got get out soon bro.

russ88
06-02-2009, 09:55 AM
BTW: the counts for 5/30 are insane! 26 yellows and 4 halis among 22 anglers. Was this a private charter? I recall checking the zerve site and one of the fri-sat trips being unavailable. i'm guessing it was 5/29-5/30?

if it was open party, i'm going to kill myself for deciding to rent a skiff... ughhhh! :P

Deckhand I talked said it was open party. He said they had a handful of 10yr. olds. The kids were using spinning and was able to bring land yellows.

Hi russ88,

Most excellent job all around ! Congrats on the right flavor. Beautiful fish !!

I want to use your index finger for one of my asides this week. I'm thinking you won't mind as few will recognize your finger !!

How easy is that fish going to be for you to beat the rest of the year locally ?

Angler has a nice Barracuda to be proud of too !!

JapanRon

Lol I was known for my finger in jr. high. Make my finger famous once again. Lol Slim chance but I have a feeling I’ll get lucky on the victory fishing the fin bait. Angler with the cuda lost a nice yellow. Broke off on the loop not on the knot

Nice job on the yellow Russ. You did the right thing by missing castaic as I am sure you know, you got your PB. I was wishing the whole time I was at Clemente even thoe the lmb bite was good castaic.

Thanks pat I always think about the saltwater even when I’m fishing Castaic. I’m about to target stripers with surface irons. It should work!?!? Lol Hope u get out there soon.

That was a fun trip for sure!! Even though i got skunked i had blast!! Let's do it again soon!!!!!!

Alex I’m sure you’ll get a crack at em next time!!! Too bad for the break off…. Thanks again for the WSB!

ur the man russ!!ur getting better and better every trip u go to keep it up dude!!btw im sooo freakin jelous bru lmao!!why are u so good huh?hehe..

Better lucky than good homie!!!!

glad you got into yellows. how much bait were you able to make?? my buddy was on another boat and they had a tough day.

It took a while to make bait. It wasn’t easy with damn seals all over the place. We had 2 tanks full of squid in the morning. More than enough for what we needed to do. We only used 1 tank.

Great job Russ....... I was wondering where you went bro.
I've got to admit.....my eyes start wandering when I check out that cuda also but great job on that yellow........ Did ya sushi up some of it?
Hey bro....call me....I killed my cell and lost your number.

U dirty dawg! Mike always thinking about sexy time… U wouldn’t know what to do with that slimey cuda! lol U know I only like it raw!!

Yellowtail!!! I'm jealous Russ..We got get out soon bro.

Set it up Danny!! I’m down for either SCI or Coronados.

Wingnut
06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Dammmmnnnn Russ, awesome Yellow dude! :Shocked: Great job, when are we hitting the surf? :Wink:

LA Smoker
06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice Yellow dude

jplee3
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Deckhand I talked said it was open party. He said they had a handful of 10yr. olds. The kids were using spinning and was able to bring land yellows.

aghhhhhhhh :( :( :(

dangit dangit dangit

hahaha, it must have been a phenomenal day.

ToadsToadsOnly
06-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Sick I was out there this weekend but targeted the calico's darn i should of went for the yellows. Great job bro i heard those suckers are bruisers.

jsl
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Sweet! Great post and great job with the pb yellow...beautyful fish.

Scott

russ88
06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the props!!!

Dammmmnnnn Russ, awesome Yellow dude! :Shocked: Great job, when are we hitting the surf? :Wink:

Lets roll!!! I haven't fish the surf all year. I'm sure it'll be alot of fun. I'll get in touch with mike today.

BigBass777
06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Awesome grade of fish!! Nice report. What lb line was the jp winner using to turn the head of that yellow? I'm gonna guess 40lb. My brother will be going on the overnight trip Fri-Sat from Dana Wharf this week. With the economy it's cool they are charging $100.00. Will the price go up when the fishing gets hot? Is the $100.00 an early season fee to get anglers to go?

40lb worked great for me on an overnight trip in August last year from H&M Landing. I was the only one who landed 4 yellows 18-23lbs. Many got tangled with each other and broke them off. I didn't break a single fish off. So 40lb it is now when tehy aren't line shy!!

BIGRED KILLA
06-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Nice tail Russ i hope i get mine this weekend.

Bigred

russ88
06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Awesome grade of fish!! Nice report. What lb line was the jp winner using to turn the head of that yellow? I'm gonna guess 40lb. My brother will be going on the overnight trip Fri-Sat from Dana Wharf this week. With the economy it's cool they are charging $100.00. Will the price go up when the fishing gets hot? Is the $100.00 an early season fee to get anglers to go?

40lb worked great for me on an overnight trip in August last year from H&M Landing. I was the only one who landed 4 yellows 18-23lbs. Many got tangled with each other and broke them off. I didn't break a single fish off. So 40lb it is now when tehy aren't line shy!!

I’m not sure what # line he was using but my guess would be 30. Spectra with 30 topshot. He was fishing torium 16 on a short graphiter rod. He had another setup for his heavier line which was a Trini 20. I’m guessing that his trini had the 40. He just kept pulling on the fish till I saw color. He did use the rail towards the end. Only one guy got sawed off. Most people broke off from pulling too hard with drags too tight. I used an Avet SX with spectra and 25 flouro topshot and experimented with the 5/0 circle and 2 live squid pinned on. Not too many tangles since we only hung 1 or 2 at a time. The crew is pretty quick on handling mess. We all worked together once someone is on a fish. We should have landed more than 8 on this trip. Not sure about the increase in price this was my first overnight. Last i heard its $100. weekdays and $120. Weekends. I would call the landing for more details. I’m planning to get a 40# rig in the near future just in case it goes stupid wide. I bet I’ll have a lot of fun. Lol

Nice tail Russ i hope i get mine this weekend.

Bigred

Lucas go get some brother!!!! Is our sidekick Geordy rolling with you?

jplee3
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I’m not sure what # line he was using but my guess would be 30. Spectra with 30 topshot. He was fishing torium 16 on a short graphiter rod. He had another setup for his heavier line which was a Trini 20. I’m guessing that his trini had the 40. He just kept pulling on the fish till I saw color. He did use the rail towards the end. Only one guy got sawed off. Most people broke off from pulling too hard with drags too tight. I used an Avet SX with spectra and 25 flouro topshot and experimented with the 5/0 circle and 2 live squid pinned on. Not too many tangles since we only hung 1 or 2 at a time. The crew is pretty quick on handling mess. We all worked together once someone is on a fish. We should have landed more than 8 on this trip. Not sure about the increase in price this was my first overnight. Last i heard its $100. weekdays and $120. Weekends. I would call the landing for more details. I’m planning to get a 40# rig in the near future just in case it goes stupid wide. I bet I’ll have a lot of fun. Lol

I caught mine on an Avet SX as well - solid reel man. I think I had 20-25 mono topshot on with a 4/0 circle and one live squid w/ an egg sinker (to my recollection). Those live squid really do work don't they!? :D :P When I went I recall the trip being $140 last May... prices are down. It's probably the economy. Man, I hope I can get on an overnighter with them real soon.

Ricky-Ray
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Those live squid really do work don't they!? :D :P

They don't call it candy bait for nothing. :Big Grin:

russ88
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I caught mine on an Avet SX as well - solid reel man. I think I had 20-25 mono topshot on with a 4/0 circle and one live squid w/ an egg sinker (to my recollection). Those live squid really do work don't they!? :D :P When I went I recall the trip being $140 last May... prices are down. It's probably the economy. Man, I hope I can get on an overnighter with them real soon.

I agree the SX is a solid little reel. Never skipped a beat while fighting a huge BSB and YT!!! The SX is a little powerhouse. Great price as well. Just doesn't flyline as well as a newell. The $100 special was the deciding factor for me....lol I'll try the egg sinker next time i go.

russ88
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
They don't call it candy bait for nothing. :Big Grin:

One of the yellows must have spit out 6 or 7 squids after it hit the deck!!! lol