PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 5/31 3:00 to 8:00, no pics

fishinone
06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Romeo and I hit Castaic Sunday afternoon and trolled for about an hour in the fish arm for no love.

Went to the ski arm and tried bait and wait on the point at the right of the buoy line. There were so many fish on the fishfinder that I began to wonder about the fishfinfer. We got no love here either.

We moved to the other end of the imaginary buoy line and couldn't get the anchor to hold and didn't see enough on the fish finder to make us work to hard at it.

We went back on the troll and trolled the face of the dam and the rock wall. There were lots of fish but no love. We checked out a spot at the dam that a friend (Mike) recommended and it was holding fish but they weren't hitting the trolling rigs. After a few passes on the dam we switched back to bait and wait on Mikes spot.

Before long I had the guts bitten off of my bait! I decided not to put the pole down and after about half an hour I got a bite and after a nice fight, put a 3lb 6 oz striper in the cooler. I don't know why I keep forgetting to take pictures. I guess I'm looking for a bigger one.

Then we had the long wait. We had lots of fish under the boat. We watched fish on the finder swim right up to our baits but couldn't hook up.

Finally at the end of the day after the life guard had come around I had a solid tap and a second later it was on. This fish took off straight under the boat, fast, went right between Romeo's two lines then swept up the dam. I had my pole stuck straight down in the water to keep my 6 lb mono off of the boat and the motor. As the fish swept up the dam I was able to swing the line and the pole around the stern of the boat and under the motor and get my tip up and Romeo grabbed the pole that the fish had swept up and kept tension off of the 10 lb braid and we played the fish together.

When the fish first took off I thought it might be a bigger model but the rhythm soon convinced me that it was smaller than the first fish, but this little fish really put up a fight. After a couple of nice runs runs we landed a 2 lb 6 oz striper.

We could tell that the school had stayed with the fish as we fought it because just after we landed it the fish finder looked like a spider web.

We fished a few more minutes and wrapped it up. It was kinda slow fishing, but it was a great time.