PDA

View Full Version : fishing straight spectra?

BOIL909
06-01-2009, 06:34 AM
can i fish straight spectra if im gonna be throwing iron? i gotta avet sx and a jig stick

sonarbp
06-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah you can through anything on straight spectra.......but because spectra does not have any stretch expect to rip the hooks out of the fish!!!! Just tie on a short top shot of mono.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-01-2009, 07:54 AM
All i use is braid on everything ,from ultra light to my bay,jetty and surf. If you get snagged in any way, no matter the size of that stuff.chances are you will be cutting off the line ,and thats expensive. Always have a mono or floro leader.

Evilone
06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Don't let your finger get in the way of a "Professional Overrun" Good way to lose it

gavin310
06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
i like to use braid on my spool with a short mono leader just because it makes your setup so much more versatile. you'll have fun if you backlash bad with spectra.

JapanRon
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi BOIL909,

Yes ...... 30lb test (8lb test mono diameter) should be just about right. Depending on what you throw .... you may have issues with the lighter or way heavier lines. Leader ... what everyone else said.

JapanRon

camman
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
one backlash and you are done....

sonarbp
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Well yes and no. The most important thing to remember when fishing with spectra is that it needs to be put on the reel tight. Before you make the first cast of the day I have found that if you wet the line it helps prevent backlash on the first cast. Also remember you need to have a bit of tension on the line when you reel in...this helps keep the line tight on the reel. If you don't keep some tension on the line when you reel in it will go back on your reel loose increasing the chances of a backlash.

BOIL909
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
thanx guys good information

ghetto dad
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM

yes, you are done....

dont fish straight spectra man.....use a topshot.....long enuf to at least get you a lil farther than you can cast.....

GD

That Dang Guy
06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
You guys have to remember specifically what he's asking for. Spectra and casting iron. It's a bad idea. Period. Is short top shots very versitle? Definitely. Is castings irons on spectra a good idea? Definitely not.

Just wait until you backlash in spectra. One of four things is going to happen.

1. You're going to snap that jig off and it's going to go flying.
2. It'll backlash and the jig will come flying right back at you.
3. It'll backlash an the jig will slam right into the water a few feet away from the boat.
4. You'll backlash and have an impossible knot to remove.

Well to be honest, theres a 5th possiblity. You'll cast it like a banshee and it'll go flying a ridiclious distance....but it'll take alot of practice and alot of the 4 possibilites above. Learn to cast with mono and work from there. It'll make your life easier.

bassaholic90
06-02-2009, 12:02 AM
i fish stright 20lb spec on my bass reel it is alot more sensitive so u can feel something picking it up also if u get a nice rod u can tell type of bottom your fishing and be able to tell when u hit a log or structure. Make sure ur rod has some play so you dont loose fish due to the no strech factor, As for backlash i personally think it is easyer to fix .Beware somtimes if u backlash with stright braid it will snap and u can easyily send your favorite lure into the lake of no return so be wary of that it can happen with mono or anything else dont get me wrong. i personaly dont use a leader for a couple reasons my good friend bealeves its the only way to go but i catch the same amount of fish as him if not more......just my 2 cents